A7Rii corrupted images when camera upside down

disuye

Please check the attached image: Shooting stills is OK ... *until* I tilt the camera >180deg (beyond portrait orientation or completely upside down) ... 80% of the capture images end up like the attached file. In some cases I'll get an completely black RAW file, but 90% of the time it's the identical black image with purple smears. 

Am on Firmware 3.2. Haven't tried updating to 3.3 yet.

Can anyone replication this?

Thanks,

Dan

Notes:

- I tried waiting for the red light to stop flashing before pressing the shutter; same corruption applies
- Tried 3x different SanDisk cards and one Panasonic (all U3/C10 microSDXC cards in SD adapters, all >90mbps write speeds); same corruption applies
- Tried shooting RAW, Compressed RAW +/- all JPG resolutions; same corruption applies
- Tried Super35/APS-C and FF modes; same corruption applies
- Tried both a regular MetaBone (non-speed) adapter and mk3 Speedbooster; same corruption applies
- Tried Canon EF24-70 f/4, Tokina 11-16mm, Canon EF8-15mm; same corruption applies

- 4K 100mbps video recording is totally OK, so I'm doubtful its a buffer or card writing issue ... at any orientation video runs OK until the 30 min limit / card fills up 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I tried an upsidedown still with my A7RII and I got a perfectly exposed shot. I do however only have native FE mount lenses. I have to say I was relieved it worked though I can't envisage ever needing to shoot this way but if you do need to I really hope you get sorted soon.

I'm on firmware 3.30. I use only full sized SD cards [ Lexar Pro 64GB SDXC II U3 Class 10 1000x 150MB/s]  however you shoot full length Video upside down so can't really be the 'micro' SD can it?

"- I tried waiting for the red light to stop flashing before pressing the shutter; same corruption applies"

Hmm - what red light? the only red light I have is on only when writing the image just taken to the card not before hand??

Could this still possibly mean it's the card, the card slot?

The only other difference is you are using adaptors, so if you can find an E mount lens to try that might be next....

Else it's Sony support I think :-(

Jamie