Canon Lenses on Sony alpha 7R 2

pika

Dear all.

I' m Pika a new member, thanks to welcome me in your forum.

I need an urgent advice cause i'm thinking to switch from Canon to Sony and for many reasons i have to take a decision and buy everything before  10 days 

Before to choose to but a Sony A 7R 2 I want you ask you if you  know the performance of the following canon lenses on a sony alpha 7R 2 using a metabones IV smart adapter ?

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM

Thanks a lot.

Pika

Such reports are a snapshot of one moment in time. 

Firmware updates can vary from problem solving to 

problem creating, from beneficial to nightmare. You 

don't even know in advance which firmware is your 

camera body nor your adapter until you unpack the 

items. And acoarst you don't know in advance what 

the result of any particular update will bring. 

Your mention of a 10 day window is unsettling. The 

only semi-secure approach involves NOT parting

with the Canon outfit until all the bugs are worked

out of the new hybrid outfit. And since that is, again, 

a snapshot in time I've called it "semi-secure" since 

the only fully secure approach is to never part with 

the Canons, maintaining two systems and enjoying 

whatever functional crossovers work for you, but 

not depending soley on a hybridized outfit. 

You don't need to wait for hoped-for rapid replies 

about YOUR specific lenses. Acoarst any timely 

replies will have value. But of equal or greater value 

are the discussions already occurred that you can 

research within this forum. When you read those 

you will grasp the general idea, and the level of risk, 

and realize that a 10 day "do-or-die" option is not

anything you should act upon if it involves parting

with the foundations of the Canon outfit.  

Maybe you haven't heard, cuz you are new here, 

that Sony has serious compatibility problems with 

its own stuff, alpha E-mount to alpha E-mount, lens 

to body problems. Again you can research that in 

this forum. Add that info to the mix, then see if you 

still feel secure in relying upon a Metabones-Sony-  

Canon 3-way hybrid outfit dependent on firmware 

from 3 independent unrelated sources. 

Anywho, welcome to the forum ! And, just in case

you disappear 10 days later, best wishes and happy 

trails to you !    

Some general advice here:  

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/what-is-the-flange-focal-distance-and-how-to-find-more-lenses-for-your-camera/     

`

• 1 month later...

Honestly the cheaper generic low F stop zoom lenses work just fine. Yes, pros will complain about minor differences but I'd only consider getting a Canon L 2.8 70-200 if it were on sale used for a really low price.

The A7RII is more than powerful enough to provide better results with a Sigma zoom lens than a Canon with a Canon zoom lens.