Sony "Pro" E mount Camera

Mars1954

My shooting buddy is a Sony pro.  He's using the e-mount A7M2 and the A7S and the RX1. I use the A7R.  Both of us are enthusiastic about our gear. We like the smaller, lighter profile of the A7 equipment.  We've been carrying the message to the masses that this is the way to go.  But, he's backsliding!  He confessed to me that he misses the larger traditionally 35mm sized bodies.  He's been eyeing my A900 and we have been rehashing the notion that commercial and/or sophisticated consumers of digital photo services tend to disdain the e-mount gear as nonprofessional.  The upshot of this is that in my opinion if Sony wants to market a "pro" e-mount, they are going to have to package it as a more substantial appearing system. The update of the A7 to A7M2 somewhat addresses that objective with a heavier frame and improved ergonomics. There may need to be a "flagship" model with a 50 mpxl sensor and onboard computer/communication enhancements. They may even have to raise the price of the "pro" just to be consistent with the exclusive quality image they are seeking to get across. The same thing that Cadillac does when it marks up its Chevrolet equivalent models by thousands of dollars. Sony might put out a "safari" model that a pro could take into a jungle war zone with confidence. 

This is my thinking, I look forward to seeing what other responses you get.

I think with all systems that break away from the dominant tech, they will be treated with suspicion by many.

Personally I think the A series cameras are fantastic and in most aspects, every bit as capable as their Nikon and Canon rivals and in some areas superior.

Certainly in terms of absolute image quality my A7R outclasses any Canon sensor and that's the main reason, together with the weight factor, that I switched.

If Sony do produce a 'pro' A series body I think that they need to keep it within a similar weight catagory and with a competitive price to maintain momentum.

You've also got Fuji and Olympus producing first class smaller systems that are becoming increasingly popular.

Eventually the big two will have to look at downsizing their brick-like bodies as many photographers I've spoken to do get fed up of lugging around all of that weight.

So there is a rumor that there will be a Sony E mount Pro camera

released in the future what will that mean? High ISO capabilities,

Large Megapixel count, dual card slots? any one have any thoughts

on what "pro" is going to mean?

Nothing. it's a meaningless invented marketing term.

Means nothing. OK, it does mean something. It's an

antonym of "con", meaning "in favor of". We're all in

favor of Sony upgrading these products, right ? 

......... Sony might put out a "safari" model .....

take into a jungle war zone with confidence. 

Get with the program. Standard issue imaging

gear for war zones is a cell phone. You don't

need expensive lenses and 50mp sensors for

that kinda of coverage.

`