Recover SD after format?

stevet

@firedog

If you have a 12TB OWC RAID 5, you should have been alright.

OWC Thunderbay use software RAID 5, which is good because there is no hardware RAID controller in the mix.

RAID 5 can tolerate a single drive failure without losing everything, so all you should have done was replaced the damaged drive and rebuilt the array.

If you continued to use the array degraded until as second drive failed, you would have lost everything.

This is the reason I never recommend RAID 5.

You need RAID 6 or a proprietory system with dual drive redundancy (meaning two drives can fail and the array will still run degraded).

The question I have is what happened?

Did a single drive fail or more than one at once?

The clicking could be due to the array being degraded.

I would remove the drive that failed and put a new drive of the same type in and rebuild the array.

Turn it off in the meantime and order up a new drive.

Worst case:

You should still be able to access the array and get everything off onto another system.

If Drivesavers are the company willing to "recover" things for $4500, please send me a direct message ASAP.

Sandisk have their own file recovery programme and it should be available free of charge to anyone that registers their Sandisk product

Remove the card from the camera and insert in a good quality card reader attached to computer that contains the recovery programme

I have used it in the past to recover files removed during 'Formatting'

Sandisk have their own file recovery programme and it should be available to anyone that registers their product

Remove the card from the camera and insert it into a good quality card reader and connect it to the computer containing the Sandisk file recovery programme

I only use Sandisk cards and have used this process with success in the past

Guest Jaf-Photo

@firedog Sounds.gnarly. Could you describe your setup and workflow a bit more. For instance, have you stored the files on a system disk or a data disk before backing them up? In that case they may be recoverable from there.

• 2 years later...
On 10/23/2016 at 2:16 PM, miran said:

.A good recovery tool will be able to read the datablocks and piece together nearly all files (depending on how fragmented the file system was when you shot your last photos/videos). The only thing that's really lost are filenames.

Which recovery tool/software did you use?

Edited by Olaf W.
Quote shortened