A7R2 Video Glitch

anoel

Does this happen to anyone else shooting the A7R2? New camera, any video setting over 60mbs causes this glitch.

Please advise.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Not seen that on mine, assume you are using the 4K XAVC-S settings?  Is it happening in both NTSC mode and PAL mode?
I'm also on the latest firmware update (v3.30).

It looks similar to a corruption I used to get on one of my GoPros.... could never work out if it was related to the camera or the card.

Speaking of that, what is the write speed of the card you are using (not the read speed).

I only shoot on the highest setting.

I had this happen once during a music video shoot.  It pulsed to the beat of the bass guitar.

I removed the battery, replaced it, and its never come back.  It might have been some sort of interference from the wireless that the bass player was using.

JCC

Hey everyone, thank you for the replies! 

It's any video settings 1080 & 4k XAVC & XAVC-S (except mp4) when shooting above 60mb/s. I've only tested NTSC mode and my firmware is up to date across the board.

I shoot with a Sandisk 64gb 280mb/s write speed.

@JCC thats crazy about the wireless bass! I've removed the batteries and taken several trouble shooting steps. The only temporary fix is to turn the camera off and back on again.

The glitch seems to come and go as it pleases.

...I shoot with a Sandisk 64gb 280mb/s write speed....The glitch seems to come and go as it pleases.

Your card is plenty fast enough. The regular grid pattern looks like a hardware problem, maybe buffer or address/data bus. It could be in either the camera or card. Can you try different cards? It is definitely not a user or operating error -- it is hardware. 

It would also be useful to know whether it's only a display problem on the camera LCD, whether it also shows on the EVF or whether that is written to the card and it shows that way during playback on a computer.

If it is only on the LCD or EVF and not written to the card, that would seem a camera hardware issue with the logic that drives those displays. But since it only happens with codecs and resolutions above 60 MB/sec, it could be some defect in the imaging pipeline that derives the display data. If it is written to the card and visible on computer playback it's obviously in the data itself so anything in the imaging pipeline could cause it.

I suppose even though your card is plenty fast it's conceivably a card compatibility issue. Newer, faster cards are supposed to be backward compatible, but this is not 100% the case. It is a little suspicious it only happens above 60 megabytes/sec.

I have tried different cards. Another Sandisk 64gb at 95mb/s write speed. The glitch appeared on both the monitor and the EVF as well as an external monitor via HDMI (Atomos Ninja Assassin). It also shows up on computer playback.

That seems like a camera hardware problem. You said it's new -- if within the return period I'd have the retailer exchange it. Was it like this out of the box or did it work OK for a few days or weeks? If it was like this out of the box, it's defective merchandise and appropriate laws and regulations apply. If it worked OK for a while then failed, your options will be affected by the time periods involved, who the retailer is, their policies or even national laws regulating commerce.

Sony support said I was out of luck, nothing they could do. Luckily I was within the return policy and was able to exchange it.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen anything like this. I wasn't able to find any information on the web about this, and problems are usually well documented on forums.

I've seen something similar but on images, never on film. This looks similar to when the data making up an image begins to be written over by new data. If you've ever recovered photos off a card you've seen something like this. Image has data missing. I suppose if data was incomplete from the video signal being sent it may look like this.