A6300: flash delay when using PASM modes?

I just noticed something pretty strange with my new a6300 which I never experienced with my a6000. Been using Sony for a few years so I consider myself someone who knows his way around the system, but this...well, I cannot seem to find it. So help needed!

When I use a flash (either the built-in one, or my Nissin), there sometimes appears to be a very noticeable delay between pressing the shutter and the flash firing/shot being taken. This is not the flash recycling, neither too slow shutter speed. Strange thing is, when I set the camera to "auto", the flash always fires immediately. But whenever I go into another mode like P, S or A... this happens. 

Anyone got an idea? Flash is set as "fill flash" btw, no redeye reduction. Tried all sorts of settings in PASM, but nothing seems to help. Only putting the camera in auto or one of the scene modes makes the flash fire immediately. It almost seems like after pressing the shutter in PASM mode, the camera does some metering because I sometimes see the screen turn dark(er) and then flash fires and picture is exposed correctly. In dim situations this can even take half a second or so! I double checked, flash is in "fill flash"

Also tested this with my a6000 and this works fine in the a6000, flash fires immediately after pressing shutter. A6300 is on 1.1 firmware now too.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...