Wideangle lenses for the Sony a7 series - A guide from users for users.

Hey folks, 

our little team has just finished a guide to all the available native E-mount wide-angles and also a few interesting manual lenses.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If you have any questions or suggestions please let us know :).

Phillip

Very useful  to help sort out the wheat from the chaff.  Thank you for this.

I am in the process of deciding on a new wide angle lens, and as an  amateur, I rely heavily on the advice of others.  

I will be anticipating the ultra wide information! 

Thank you again for the work.

Thanks, Phillip, for a great service that you provide! I avoided the FE 24-70 f4 for a year, cos of the published test results. After spending months trying to find alternatives (my budget is limited) I finally sold all the MF zooms I've been trying except the remarkable, though not perfect, Tamron SP 35-80mm f2.8-3.8 model 01A.

My work is mostly portraits for web and some advertising. I've settled on Canon FD 24/2.8 for wide angle when I need decent sharpness across the frame, and the very nice Sony 28/2, which I always correct in post for distortion and CA. Both bought after reviewing your site!

Finally, after all the messing around, i realized I need a standard zoom, and that I can tolerate some softness in the corners, so I caved in and got the 24-70/4, and I have to say, i really like it! Yes, it has its limitations, but certainly meets my needs. The ability to use eye-focus is a godsend. Sometimes I do need optical quality, but I have the entire range of focal lengths (and more) covered with MF primes that didn't cost much, so if I need to impress a client, I can always find glass in the drawer to do that.

By the way, my experience with the Sony kit lens, the 28-70/3.5-4.5 was that it was much worse than your guide would suggest. True, the center 1/3 of the frame was sharp, but the corners were horrible. Not just fuzzy, but sort of double-vision fuzzy, and didn't improve much until about f11. I bought one and sold it on within a week. The 24/70 is a lot more usable.

By the way, my experience with the Sony kit lens, the 28-70/3.5-4.5 was that it was much worse than your guide would suggest. True, the center 1/3 of the frame was sharp, but the corners were horrible. Not just fuzzy, but sort of double-vision fuzzy, and didn't improve much until about f11. I bought one and sold it on within a week. The 24/70 is a lot more usable.

One issue with Sony lenses is that there is a lot of copy-to-copy variation so you 28-70 might have been quite a bit worse than mine.