"Incompatible battery"

So as of today (has never happened before) every few times I turn on my Sony A7Rii I get an error message saying that there is an "incompatible battery" and the camera won't work.

The two batteries I have are both Sony batteries (one that came with the camera and one that I bought with the Sony branded vertical grip).  If I take the battery unit out of the vertical grip and turn the camera back on it seems to work but it is becoming very frustrating very quickly.

Anyone else experience this and have any solutions??

Thanks.

I do have the same problem on my A77rII.

Don't remember experiencing this problem on my A77rI or A850.

Now that you say it... those batteries are indeed always used in an external battery grip (original Sony).

I'm using a mix of Sony original and 3rd party batteries in my A77ii with vertical grip and have never had any issues at all. Could it be a rogue battery? Have you tried them singly in the grip and see if you can isolate the problem to one of them, or to one of the grip battery compartments?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Same problem w/ BOTH my VG-2CEM grips purchased 11/16. My problem is it's intermittent. I live in & am traveling throughout SE Asia & the is a REAL pain in the a** as authorized repair facilities are few & far between. Why can't they make something that works perfectly out-of-the box? Should be a general recall & replacement of these @#$%&* grips.

• 3 years later...

Hi, my sony a6500 recently showed the same message "incompatible battery, use correct model", I thought it was the battery that died or something, so I removed and put another battery, but it popped up the same thing, for weeks now, it's the same message I've been getting and haven't been able to use the camera at all. 

I've left it to rest, charged the batteries, used other Sony batteries, but I keep  getting the same message, meanwhile, these batteries work well on other Sony cameras. Help please 

YIKES.

All I can suggest is to make sure the batteries are REAL Sony batteries, use them WITHOUT a grip, make sure they are fully charged, and CLEAN the contacts of the battery and the camera before use.