addicted2light

1$ solution to all the light leak adapter-related problems

A lot of adapters out there, and according to many even the ones from big manufacturers, suffers from mild to severe light leaks if used under specific conditions: daylight, long shutter speeds (seconds), even more so if on a tripod (shooting handheld the hand often shades the lens a bit, and the shutter times will be faster anyway).

Before rushing out to buy the latest overpriced Novoflex or Voigtlander model like I was this close to do (supposedly the only two brands that, IN THE LATEST MODELS ONLY, do not suffer from this) you could try my solution.

The pictures* speak for themselves. The nice thing is that this solution doubles as a neck / wrist strap as well. If you intend to carry the camera with it, and not just eliminating the leaks, you will have to be careful how you tie the knots and be certain to use "paracord", a kind of rope that has a 200/250Kg breaking point and it is used, guess what?, to tie the parachutes.

post-265-0-37529500-1427904296_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-39282100-1427904298_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-17342300-1427904300_thumb.jpg

*sorry for the crappy pictures, I was in a hurry!

Or you could get lucky like me and get the same brand adapters with no worries of leaks. :)

Ok, now I hate you   :D

Jokes aside, I've seen these leaks only with daylight shining exactly on the lens-adapter junction and shutter times from 8/15 seconds and up, so it's not a common occurrence for many people (but unfortunately it is for me). Have you tried yours in these conditions?

BTW, the Leica M is the one with almost no leak at all, while the absolute worst of the bunch is the one for Contax.

I can not tell if the lack of affordable decent primes or the ridiculously priced adapters that make the A7 series laughable. ;)

10 buck adapters do bring a smile to your face don't they? :rolleyes:

Metabones "smart adapter" IV is more expensive than Sony FE 28/2. 

I do not use bucks.

Ok, 10 dollar equivalent in your local medium of exchange adapters do bring a smile to your face don't they? :P

Ok, 10 dollar equivalent in your local medium of exchange adapters do bring a smile to your face don't they? :P

How about 0 in whatever currency.  Sony Australia (fabulous folks! :) ) gave away an adapter of choice and the kit zoom with an A7s for an equivalent of 1200 Euros.

Now, that is something to smile about.  I don't about you lefty.  Maybe you insist on paying 2500 Euros (for the camera) plus 400 Euros for the adapter plus another 350 for the kitzoom.

Sony Australia (fabulous folks! :) ) gave away an adapter of choice and the kit zoom with an A7s for an equivalent of 1200 Euros.

Wow, and I thought I had a good deal with my Canadian a7S for €1800 on release day (actually had it before it was released in the NL).

Vivek, Got an A7ii for $1,699, just like most folks in the US, and am shooting old MF lenses. Did I mention the adapters are available for 10 bucks? :P

A2L, pretty slick one buck fix.

Jan Anne, "Wow, and I thought I had a good deal" I think you did too.

Vivek, Got an A7ii for $1,699, just like most folks in the US, and am shooting old MF lenses. Did I mention the adapters are available for 10 bucks? :P

Whatever floats your bloat. ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By paulhanley
      I am researching the Canon TS-E 17mm f4 lens to use for architecture. I would be interested to get some feedback from anyone using this lens with either the Metabones or Sigma adapters on either an A7ii or A7Rii body.
      Are there any functional issues affecting manual focus particularly focus peaking and  focus assist magnification? 
      Is there any loss of sharpness?
      Does auto exposure work correctly?

I would really appreciate hearing from people with first hand experience of using this lens with either of these adapters.

Many thanks.
    • By firedog
      I am considering purchasing the Sigma 12-24mm f/4 and 35 1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for use on my Sony A7RII.
      Any thoughts on purchasing Canon version and using Metabones adapter vs Sigma version with Sigma MC-11 adapter?
      I have used the Metabones/Canon combination with my Canon L lenses.
      Any one with experience using the Sigma/Sigma MC-11?

I am thinking of selling my set of Canon 16-35L 1.2II, 24-70L 2.8II, 50L 1.2, and 85L 1.2II lenses.

Thanks.

• By Pedweld
      I have an A6000. For the past couple of days I have been searching the web for a Nikon F to E-mount full function adapter (AF, Exposure, etc.). I see one for the A6300. Is the A6000 so different that they cant make them compatible?

Does anyone know if one exists?
    • By drasko2015
      In my latest Video i´m showing you that Face Detect AF is also working with Canon Mount lenses on the Sony A7II with affordable Adapters from Viltrox and Fotga and not just the Sigma MC-11 Adapter. This could be something that you probably didn´t know. Get some chips and beer and have a look!  http://www.dsphotoblog.com/?p=1425

• By SpanishFlyer
      Dear friends,

I have now had the 70-400 and the LA-EA4 adapter for more than two months and have managed to cope with erratic focusing on garden birds somehow or other. One great thing using this adapter is that the spot focusing is much smaller than the standard one and let's you pinpoint be birds head more precisely and that I love. With the standard 70-200 f4 I could focus much quicker, but many times it either focused on a branch or the legs and body, leaving the head and eyes out of focus.

Lately however I've seen many  comments about how much better the simpler LA-EA3 works with the newish A7RII, since it used all the more than 300 focus points plus other benefits that the camera could use on these lenses. The thing is I purchased the EA3 and tried it as soon as I laid my hands on it. Shooting garden birds from a feeder and at 400 mm (which is what I mostly do), and at about 5 m (16 feet) distance, I immediately noticed that focusing was much harder, sluggish and the lens kept hunting backwards and forwards most of the time. I have the camera set for obvious reasons at spot focus small, so I guess the 300 or so remaining focus points do nothing to help me focus, so I asked myself what was the point.... I then tried all sorts of settings to see if I could improve the focusing, even trying phase and contrast detect (contrast being a NO-NO), so now I find myself at a crossroads where I' wondering if I should return the EA3 or try and follow your suggestions on how to improve the focus with it. One thing is VERY clear; if I reinstall the LA-EA4, in the case I'm explaining here, it seems almost instant focus compared to the EA3.

What do you suggest I do? I only have this zoom lens that fits both my adapters, since all my other lenses are FE mount and right now I have run out of ideas.... Have read all that Brian Smith says about adapters and was one of the main reasons for making this purchase (http://briansmith.com/sony-a7-a7r-lens-mount-adapters/)

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

PS.: The camera already has the 3.2.0 firmware