Best wireless system for remote flash trigger Sony A7R 2 & A7S

Dear friends,

I opened a thread about wireless flash trigger but I got no response.

I get the feeling that flash triggering suppliers only bother to make something  that is totally compatible with Sony and that pisses me off. It seems no company has taken the more than professional A7 series seriously, being their effort only concentrated on Canon and Nikon.

Still, I have purchased a Phottix Odin for Sony mount and a Sekonic L-478DR-PX to make the light meter fire the flash, but it just doesn't work, even though they state that those items work together.

Contacting Phottix in HK, they told me to get a Stratos II  instead of my Odin receiver, but when I went to purchase it, I could not find a Stratos II for Sony, only and as expected, they had the Canon and Nikon versions (in that order).

Can anyone help me out? The idea being to be able to fire the flash in TTl and if needed HSS mode from the meter such as the Sekonic L-478DR-PX (for Phottix? By the way any other meter or flash wireless remote will do as long as they offer TTl and HSS for our Sony A7 (in my case an A7R2

Or is it true that manufacturers consider the sony Alpha gear as a non professional gear? If they do they are in for a big surprise.

Anyway let me know how you have managed (or not) to fire your remote Sony flash from a light meter and if you can use the TTL option and maybe even the HSS, so much needed in our photography.

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Did you try in Manual flash mode to confirm it works in that mode ?

Phottix Strato II or Strato II Multi are non-TTL receivers so only Manual flash mode can be used with those. HSS will also nor work with those.

Are you using native lenses ? Un-chipped adapted lenses do not work with the Odin's.

I just can't see how a flash meter can work with WL triggers in TTL Mode since TTL is a body/lens/flash language protocol that has a particular sequence of events to adjust the light output at the last second ( press the shutter, flash emits a pre-flash that the camera sensor can detect and then the camera tells the flash how much power it should provide for proper exposure according to the settings used at that moment). A flash meter however sophisticated can not do this in TTL ( Neither with Canon or Nikon as far as i know).

Minolta used to have an accessory for their Flashmeter IV called Data Receiver DR-1000 that allowed flash measurements in Manual mode and retransmission of the data to a particular range of bodies ( 7000, 9000, 7000i) but that is about it. Your Sekonic should be able to do some of that but probably only in Manual Mode.

I have Odin's and Strato II Multi's ( used with Sony A900, A700, A77, A7r and A7II) and the only way i know to use  a flash meter with them is in Manual flash mode on the Odin's and with the latest firmware, they added a 2 second lag between the pre-flash and the flash burst when using the test mode  so we can now use a flash meter provided we wait for the pre-flash before pressing the non-cord measuring button on the meter.

For HSS, i also know of no flash meter can can measure HSS flash bursts.

I use the new Godox X1 system with great success so far. HSS and TTL work. You can use Sony brand flashes with the X1 receiver but the system really shines when paired with Godox's own flashes. As for firing it from a light meter, I usually do it manually but since the Godox system works with multiple transmitters you could have one on camera and one plugged into the meter. I haven't tried that myself though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use the new Godox X1 system with great success so far. HSS and TTL work. You can use Sony brand flashes with the X1 receiver but the system really shines when paired with Godox's own flashes. As for firing it from a light meter, I usually do it manually but since the Godox system works with multiple transmitters you could have one on camera and one plugged into the meter. I haven't tried that myself though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or set the light meter to "wait for flash" mode then you can use the on-camera transmitter to fire the flash(es) and the meter will give its reading. My 10-year old Sekonic has this function so I assume newer flash meters can do this as well.

Thanks to all for your suggestions,

Regarding what michelb asks, I can tell you that I tried everything in my hand to get it to work; I did get from Phottix the following message, where they state that NO Phottix product at the moment will work with my actual setup (ODIN transmitter and receiver) will work TTL with the Sekonic L-478DR-PX, which is understandible due to the pre-flash (just as you mention michelb). And what is more, Phottix does not have any compatible system for my Sony HVL-F56AM. As I said earlier on, all companies are focused in Canon and Nikon and don't take Sony owners seriously....

So I fully agree with you michelb.

Dear Charles,

New answer was just posted on your ticket: .

Answer: Thank you for contacting us. The Odin for Sony works based on TTL and uses pre-flash, therefore it will not work with Sekonic. The latest Odin for Sony firmware v1.14 allows to use the Test button when using the light meters: Test Button and Light Meters: Pressing the Test button on the transmitter will cause the flashes in A, B and C groups to fire simultaneously. Group(s) turned off will not fire. When the flashes in A, B and C groups are set to Manual (M) mode, pressing the Test button on the transmitter will cause the flashes (which are powered on and on the same channel as the transmitter) to fire an initial low-power pre-flash. The flashes will fire simultaneously at their set manual power levels 2.5s later. This feature allows for light meters to be used correctly. The Odin II is not compatible with your Sony flash (only with Phottix Mitros+ for Sony and Phottix Indra 500). Thank you.

Please feel free to contact us in case you still have any question on this issue.

Best regards,
Phottix Support

I now believe that buying a Sekonic with a transmitter for Phottix was just a waste of time and money; It does however seem to work with Canon and Nikon versions having the Stratos II or TTL... Where have I seen that before??

By the way, no Stratos II or Stratos TTL for Sony....

I do like the suggestion storyteller has; the use of a much cheaper Godox X1 is very tentative now that I know my Sekonic will only work by setting the unit to normal flash manual mode, where the meter waits for a flash to pop; funnily enough, I had the grip from Meike, cheap compared to the Sony one and what is great, it comes with a remote trigger unit that works great and at amazing distances... That way I just approach the subject, leave the Sekonic in manual, place it in the right position, facing the flash and press the Meike remote.

And Al Pha, you are absolutely right and it makes me feel silly to have gone all the way, purchasing the Sekonic for Phottix as I expected it to work like my old Sekonic L-358 did with my Nikongear and PocketWizards TT1 and TT5 that I still have. Taking the Meike remote with me together with the Light meter will no doubt accelerate the process big time.

Cheers to all and best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Have you seen the new Sony triggers, FA-WRR1 and FA-WRC1M?

I have and unfortunately:

- They will only work with the II series of mirrorless bodies ( A7II, A7rII and A7sII) and this only after a firmware update. So all of us with other E-mount bodies or A-Mount bodies are out of luck.

- They will only work in TTL with some of the M series of flashes ( HVL-F32M, HVL-F43M, HVL-F60M) and HVL-F20M is not compatible

- All previous flash units that do work well with an ADP-MAA adapter will now only work in Manual Mode with restrictions.

- At the price Sony is asking for these ( over 1000$ Cdn for a kit of 1 trigger and 2 receivers after investing in Sony Flash units ) you can get a D-Lite RX kit and a used Flash meter and get better results !

And what is more, Phottix does not have any compatible system for my Sony HVL-F56AM. As I said earlier on, all companies are focused in Canon and Nikon and don't take Sony owners seriously....

Dear Charles,

New answer was just posted on your ticket: .

Answer: Thank you for contacting us. The Odin for Sony works based on TTL and uses pre-flash, therefore it will not work with Sekonic. The latest Odin for Sony firmware v1.14 allows to use the Test button when using the light meters: Test Button and Light Meters: Pressing the Test button on the transmitter will cause the flashes in A, B and C groups to fire simultaneously. Group(s) turned off will not fire. When the flashes in A, B and C groups are set to Manual (M) mode, pressing the Test button on the transmitter will cause the flashes (which are powered on and on the same channel as the transmitter) to fire an initial low-power pre-flash. The flashes will fire simultaneously at their set manual power levels 2.5s later. This feature allows for light meters to be used correctly. The Odin II is not compatible with your Sony flash (only with Phottix Mitros+ for Sony and Phottix Indra 500). Thank you.

Please feel free to contact us in case you still have any question on this issue.

Best regards,

Phottix Support

I now believe that buying a Sekonic with a transmitter for Phottix was just a waste of time and money; It does however seem to work with Canon and Nikon versions having the Stratos II or TTL... Where have I seen that before??

By the way, no Stratos II or Stratos TTL for Sony....

I do like the suggestion storyteller has; the use of a much cheaper Godox X1 is very tentative now that I know my Sekonic will only work by setting the unit to normal flash manual mode, where the meter waits for a flash to pop; funnily enough, I had the grip from Meike, cheap compared to the Sony one and what is great, it comes with a remote trigger unit that works great and at amazing distances... That way I just approach the subject, leave the Sekonic in manual, place it in the right position, facing the flash and press the Meike remote.

And Al Pha, you are absolutely right and it makes me feel silly to have gone all the way, purchasing the Sekonic for Phottix as I expected it to work like my old Sekonic L-358 did with my Nikongear and PocketWizards TT1 and TT5 that I still have. Taking the Meike remote with me together with the Light meter will no doubt accelerate the process big time.

Cheers to all and best regards,

Spanish Flyer

I have Odin's ( 1st version with the Minolta/Sony Autolock shoe)  and they are compatible with ( i tested all of the following):

- Minolta 2500D, 36000HS(D), 5600HS(D). Note that the 2500D does not offer HSS so this is feature can not be used with this unit.

- Sony HVL-F-20AM, HVL-F36AM, HVL-F42AM, HVL-F43AM, HVL-F56AM, HVL-F58AM. Note that the HVL-F20AM does not offer HSS so this is feature can not be used with this unit.

- Sony HVL-F20M, HVL-F32M, HVL-F43M, HVL-F60M using Sony's ADP-MAA adapter. Note that the HVL-F20AM does not offer HSS so this is feature can not be used with this unit.

I don't have the 2nd version of Odin's so i can not test them but i see no reason with they would not work since the Odin II is backward compatible with the Odin 1st version and Strato II Multi ( but then some new features of the Odin II may not be available since they were not available on the older system). I only use original adapters when converting from MIS shoe to Autolock ( ADP-MAA) or vice-versa (ADP-AMA). Tried off-brand adapters and often had issues/ bad contacts so adapters can be  source of failure when attemmpting conversions like this

The Strato II Multi receivers were Manual flash only so you can stop looking for a TTL one. The triggers  were interesting in that they had a hot shoe providing pass-through TTL so a flash mounted on the trigger on your camera body was still TTL but all of the remotes were Manual only. This was only available with the Minolta/Sony Autolock shoe so your HVL-F56AM would fit just nice in Manual Mode

I just got the Flashpoint (Adorama house brand - think Godox) Zoom R2 TTL flash along with the R2 remote trigger and they appear to be working well so far. Have only had them a few days so haven't gotten a chance to run them hard. But as far as wireless function, TTL, HSS, etc, everything is a go.

Also waiting for my shipment of the R2 bridge receiver that plugs into the Flashpoint Streaklight 360ws which is supposed to enable all of the same functionalities from the R2 family of products.

I have the Godox TT 6585 and the corresponding commander. TTL works really well with my A7r2. Price is very low, about € 160 for both items.

Only disadvantage is that flash zoom has to be set on the flash (not possible from the command unit).

Flash head turns 360° horizontal and from -7 (too little in my opinion, unless one uses a ball head) to +90 vertical.

Thanks for the new info,

After having accepted that the Sekonic L-478-PX will not pop the flashes I'm now in the look for a Remote system that is fully compatible with Sony and allows me to fire in TTL mode (at least), but I'm finding it very difficult since as I mentioned before, it seems that the Sony cameras are the "ugly duckling" that no one wants to tackle. I actually found a great and cheap option, the Cactus V6, because amongst other beauties, they can pair different brand flashes to work together in TTL, such as Canon, Nikon, Fuji,Panasonic, Pentax, Olympus, and others, but.... you guessed it, they don't do Sony. Check out:  

I will continue searching, starting with the Godox christer mentions or Flashpoint and others. Still I find we are being discriminated here having Sony and in a way I understand it after Sony doesn't make up their mind on what type of shoe to "wear"; on my ODIN, the transmitter fits straight on my A6000, A7S and A7R II, with the Multi Interface Shoe,but the receiver has that older Sony/Minolta iISO flash shoe; no wonder not many manufacturers want to get involved...

The saga continues...

Thanks again,

Spanish Flyer

I have and unfortunately:

- They will only work with the II series of mirrorless bodies ( A7II, A7rII and A7sII) and this only after a firmware update. So all of us with other E-mount bodies or A-Mount bodies are out of luck.

- They will only work in TTL with some of the M series of flashes ( HVL-F32M, HVL-F43M, HVL-F60M) and HVL-F20M is not compatible

- All previous flash units that do work well with an ADP-MAA adapter will now only work in Manual Mode with restrictions.

- At the price Sony is asking for these ( over 1000$ Cdn for a kit of 1 trigger and 2 receivers after investing in Sony Flash units ) you can get a D-Lite RX kit and a used Flash meter and get better results !

Thats interesting but the OP has an A7r2 and Sony Flash, wants TTL and HSS, grouping allows to control each flash power independently. So it should work right?  Perhaps not ... the HVL-F58AM is not working with the Sony FA-WRR1? Flash needs the so called "multiinterface-shoe" to work with the new Sony wireless, so that means a newer flash, as you have listed.

I have a 43M, the new Sony wireless system is therefore interesting to me ... only to avoid all the hassle. But, as you mention, the price is a little bit interesting ...

Thanks for the new info,

After having accepted that the Sekonic L-478-PX will not pop the flashes I'm now in the look for a Remote system that is fully compatible with Sony and allows me to fire in TTL mode (at least), but I'm finding it very difficult since as I mentioned before, it seems that the Sony cameras are the "ugly duckling" that no one wants to tackle. I actually found a great and cheap option, the Cactus V6, because amongst other beauties, they can pair different brand flashes to work together in TTL, such as Canon, Nikon, Fuji,Panasonic, Pentax, Olympus, and others, but.... you guessed it, they don't do Sony. Check out:  

I will continue searching, starting with the Godox christer mentions or Flashpoint and others. Still I find we are being discriminated here having Sony and in a way I understand it after Sony doesn't make up their mind on what type of shoe to "wear"; on my ODIN, the transmitter fits straight on my A6000, A7S and A7R II, with the Multi Interface Shoe,but the receiver has that older Sony/Minolta iISO flash shoe; no wonder not many manufacturers want to get involved...

The saga continues...

Thanks again,

Spanish Flyer

Before you quit on this i have the following questions to try something to help you make it work once i know more:

- How familiar are you with using flash in general ? New user or experienced with knowledge of how a flash meter and adjusting flash power/distance/aperture works when using flash ?

- From the previous posts, i understand that you have the following equipment: Sony A7rII body, Phottix Odin II transmitter (with MIS shoe), Phottix Odin receiver ( 1st generation with older Minolta/Sony auto lock shoe ), Sony HVL-F56AM flash, Sekonic L-478DR-PX flash meter. Any other equipment ?

Hi michelb, 

Any suggestions are always welcome! For starters, I'm no expert in the use of flash, but have been using it as an off camera wireless setup for several years and was very happy with it; in that case I was using high end Nikon cameras and lenses and had (still have) a complete set of PocketWizards (1 Mini TT-1, three Flex TT-5's an AC3 and a set of AC9's for my AlienBees AB400 and AB1600). Have, since then sold all my Nikon gear except for a Df and a 28-300 VR I love too much to get rid of....

What I now have are an A6000, an A7S and an A7R2; all my lenses are E mount except the one I use most for my bird shooting, an A mount 70-400 G II (where I use both the EA-LA3 and LA-EA4). My ODIN is all Version 1 and I bought it as a kit for the Sony flash HVL-F56AM and just a few weeks ago I purchased the ill-fated (at leat for me) Sekonic L-478 PX light meter. As I mentioned above, I still keep the AlienBees and the PW's. 

What I'm trying to achieve right now (but not the only goal) is what I had with the AB's and PW's and that was the Hyper Synch or a flash such as the GODOX WITSTRO AD360 II, so I can get HSS at 1/1000 or higher speeds with enough power to light up a subject 7 m/23 ft away; apart from that have at least TTL and HSS with portraits and relatively close photography, only that  :D  and of course if I could trigger the flash/flashes with my Sekonic that would be the cherry on top of the cake....

I am willing to help but let's work this out step by step and in order to help please answer all of the following questions.

For now we will forget about your meter but something tells me we can make it work in Manual mode with your present set-up since the Strato language Sekonic is mentioning in its owner's manual is the same as the Odin (at least for test and trigger)

I can understand your confusion about the Strato triggers and receivers since Phottix is now in its 3rd iteration of these:

- Strato which were Manual mode only and i don't even know if they were available with the Sony Autolock shoe

- Strato II Multi which were available in separate versions for Canon, Nikon and Sony with one feature that was called Pass-Through TTL which provided the possibility of mounting a TTL flash on top of the trigger that was on camera and this would let the on-camera flash keep its TTL features but the remotes all had to be using Manual Mode.

- Strato TTL for Canon and Nikon only: these are new and provide basic TTL functions even through the remotes.

You probably saw the Strato TTL but could not find the Sony equivalent which does not seem to be offered.

Now all of these can work together even with the Odin's but are limited by their original possibilities so a Strato II Multi remote unit can be triggered by an Odin trigger if one knows what he is doing. A Strato trigger can not however trigger an Odin receiver.

Hyper synch or its equivalent is a new trick off brand flash makers have introduced that mimics HSS but many are getting uneven illumination even with the expensive units like Elinchrom. Only a dedicated flash will provide true HSS that will not cause uneven lighting through pictures. True HSS with dedicated flash units has a very big compromise in that guide numbers reduce by a lot as you decrease shutter speeds due to the repeated number of flashes this involves. HSS requires a flash to body communication so that it can be effective and this communication does not exist with those Hypersynch units

Back to my questions:

1) Which adapter are you using between your body (A7R2, A7s or A6000) and the Odin ? Brand and model.

2) You mention all your lenses are E-Mount, these are all native E-Mount ( no unchipped lens since the Odin does not work well with unchipped )?

3) Did you succeed to make your set-up work in basic TTL mode ? 

4) When you tried HSS with the HVL-F56AM (on camera or on The Odin) , was the flash head pointed straight ahead as it would be for direct flash on a camera ? (This unit and some others disable HSS when bouncing the head away from direct )

Hi once more michelb and thanks a lot for your cooperation,

I'll copy/paste your message, hope you don't mind, and fill-in my comments on it.

"I am willing to help but let's work this out step by step and in order to help please answer all of the following questions.

For now we will forget about your meter but something tells me we can make it work in Manual mode with your present set-up since the Strato language Sekonic is mentioning in its owner's manual is the same as the Odin (at least for test and trigger) Might be mentioned, but my experience was quite the opposite; I have sent the Sekonic to the rep in Spain in the hope that it is a faulty unit, but have read in different forums that the remote receiver that comes with the ODIN I is not compatible with the Sekonic-Phottix transmitter, but that the Strato II receiver does work; I'd hate to purchase a Strato only to find the same result    :unsure:  

I can understand your confusion about the Strato triggers and receivers since Phottix is now in its 3rd iteration of these:

- Strato which were Manual mode only and i don't even know if they were available with the Sony Autolock shoe I understand that Phottix is starting to be a bit more cooperative with Sony users in the past two weeks or so and they have brought out new firmware that is compatible with Sony cameras & equipment. I will update my Phottix gear when I get a more clear idea on what route to take.

Strato II Multi which were available in separate versions for Canon, Nikon and Sony with one feature that was called Pass-Through TTL which provided the possibility of mounting a TTL flash on top of the trigger that was on camera and this would let the on-camera flash keep its TTL features but the remotes all had to be using Manual Mode. Pass-through with a flash is not a valid option for me, not only because the ODIN does not have a hot-shoe on top, but also due to the kind of photography I'm now doing, shooting through a mirror type glass window, same as Bence Mate's hide method (http://www.hidephotography.com/), so whatever I use must be totally wireless; since the HSS has very short reach, I put my flash/flashes close to the bird feeder, to take advantage of speeds higher than 1/1500 in order to freeze the action. It is also for that reason that I was thinking about the Godox Witstro AD 360 II and the X1T (S) transmitter, with a guide number of 80, so I can place the flash further apart from the birds, to avoid scaring them...

- Strato TTL for Canon and Nikon only: these are new and provide basic TTL functions even through the remotes.

You probably saw the Strato TTL but could not find the Sony equivalent which does not seem to be offered. Same here, I could find a trigger or transmitter for Sony, but no Strato wireless remote receiver for us. Still, I heard through the grapevine that they are fixing that lack of support for Sony users via new firmware; time will tell

Now all of these can work together even with the Odin's but are limited by their original possibilities so a Strato II Multi remote unit can be triggered by an Odin trigger if one knows what he is doing. A Strato trigger can not however trigger an Odin receiver. I heard the same about the Odin receiver, so I guess in the end it would be an ODIN 1 transmitter and a Strato II as a receiver. Let's hope someone tries it out first and confirms our hopes...

Hyper synch or its equivalent is a new trick off brand flash makers have introduced that mimics HSS but many are getting uneven illumination even with the expensive units like Elinchrom. Only a dedicated flash will provide true HSS that will not cause uneven lighting through pictures. True HSS with dedicated flash units has a very big compromise in that guide numbers reduce by a lot as you decrease shutter speeds due to the repeated number of flashes this involves. HSS requires a flash to body communication so that it can be effective and this communication does not exist with those Hypersynch units I did manage to make the HyperSync work with my PocketWizards and my AlienBees, but it was a bit of a hit and miss situation, also needed  some tests and what is worse, never managed to give me a decent result on speeds higher than 1/1500; banding was too obvious and rendered the picture useless unless I carried out heavy cropping on PS.

Back to my questions:

1) Which adapter are you using between your body (A7R2, A7s or A6000) and the Odin ? Brand and model. Brand SONY, model ADP-MAA

2) You mention all your lenses are E-Mount, these are all native E-Mount ( no unchipped lens since the Odin does not work well with unchipped )? Sorry about that, I didn't take into account that there are other brands that make E mount lenses    :unsure:   What I meant was that all my lenses are Sony AF (E and FE, depending on the camera, A6000 or the A7S and A7R2). That is, apart from the Sony 70-400 GII where I use the LA-EA4 and EA3 for its A mount.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

3) Did you succeed to make your set-up work in basic TTL mode ? Sorry, missed these two last questions: yes I did and even work in HSS with the Sony flash but for what I'm trying to achieve right now, the flash does not have the needed power.

4) When you tried HSS with the HVL-F56AM (on camera or on The Odin) , was the flash head pointed straight ahead as it would be for direct flash on a camera ? (This unit and some others disable HSS when bouncing the head away from direct )" That is the only way it will work, facing the front 0º... I do however have a small Nissin i40 that works wonders for home or close by situations, since you can angle it in whatever position by pressing the green led button till the left MODE white led starts blinking once more in TTL mode (mind you, there is no magic here, if you point the flash upwards and there is no close by white ceiling, the shot will be underexposed... It's only natural...

Additional info I just received from Godox U.K. Even though it is true that Sony cameras can work with the Godox Witstro AD 360 II and the X1T (S), it will only do so in the basic trigger mode, so that once more collapses mi hopes; back to square one   :angry:

What do you mean by basic trigger mode ?

Why do you think you need HSS ? if it is to freeze hummingbird wings it won't work ( someone at Dyxum tried all sorts of combinations only to realize that the only way to get flash to freeze the wings was to use multiple flashes of the same type and model cabled together by the same length and type of cable since this was providing flash speeds of about 1/15000 sec or less).  In lower power mode where the flash duration can be around 1/15000sec. Working at a shutter speed of1/8000sec with flash that has a duration that gets extended by the multiple bursts of flash to cover the whole frame is not action stopping contrary to what most people beleive.

A bit like this: A single Odin receiver connected to multiple flashes using the Sony/Minolta TTL cables. This set-up would still do HSS but to get everything in perfect synch, all the flashes would have to be the same model and connected to the Odin so that the cables lenght would all be the same between Odin and each flash.25198464276_5636813cf7_b.jpg

It would be better to work with your max synch speed and get a flash duration of 1/15000 ( flash duration for portable flash units such as your HVL-F56AM can be as long as 1/600sec at full power and goes down to approx 1/15000 sec at minimum power but in TTL mode it can be as short as 1/50000sec) . Sony does not publish this but these numbers are a reality. Metz flash units owner's manuals mention this and all other flash units of similar power should be similar.

What kind of settings do you intend to use ? 

Exposure Mode

Intended ISO

Working aperture targeted

Lighting conditions expected

Here is some additional information to what I wrote earlier: "I have the Godox TT 6585 and the corresponding commander. TTL works really well with my A7r2. ".

So far I have only used TTL, general with a shutter speed of 125 or 160. I tried a few variations with radio control: 1/ direct off camera flash, 2/ flash reflected by a 50x75cm white screen, and 3/ flash thru a very large semi transparent perspex plate. In all cases I got perfectly exposed portraits.

• 2 weeks later...

Not an answer, but a similar question.

I have read the above posts, maybe I missed something...

I have  Sony A7RII and A7s bodies, sony lenses, and a sony HVL-F60M flash.

I recently purchased the Phottix OdinII TTL for MIS Sony, and a Phottix Indra360.

Is there a way to trigger either/both the Sony and Indra flashes using the OdinII TTL? How?

Can the OdinII TTL trigger just the sony flash remotely when mounted on sony body? How?

I also have a Canon 600EX-RT flash left over from my Canon days...any way to trigger that? How?

If any of the above has been answered previously or covered on a website somewhere...could you re-direct me...

thanks...

When you say you have the Odin II, did you get both a transmitter (trigger) AND receiver ?

I have seen no Sony compatible Odin II receivers available up to now.

If you only got the transmitter, this can only control Odin receivers ( models 1 simply called Odin with some channel/group limitations  and model II with all the options) or Phottix Strato II Multi non TTL receivers again with channel/group limitations.

Rather than "best" can I just ask - simplest/low cost/reliable?

All I would like to do is get the Sony F43M off of the camera on a stand with modifier - so need a wireless Xmitter on the multi-interface shoe (that supports Sony TTL and HSS) and a receiver to mount the F43M on to.

Sure, maybe at some time I'd like more than one Sony flash on the wireless group eventually so more channels etc. is a bonus but not wanting to get too crazy at the moment.  Need simplicity and speed.

The only thing I need this for is soft fill at an outdoor event in bright sunlight - shooting couples (in close) and groups (far away).