Nikon budget zoom choice?

hoakin1981

While considering telephoto prime options for my mirrorless kit I realized that I rarely use high FL such as 150 or 200mm. With this in mind even though primes are superior optically I decided to fill my longish needs with a zoom.

At first I was looking into the Nikkor 70-210 f4 AIS since I already have the respective adapter to use it with. However, this choice while good and cheap enough I find it to be quite big and heavy especially for the A6000. In order to use it safely for the body I would have to buy a second adapter with a tripod mount. 

On the other hand there is the Nikkor AF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6D which is smaller (I think), much cheaper and most importantly lighter.

Optically I cannot be certain which is better especially considering both will be used at around f8.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

While considering telephoto prime options for my mirrorless kit I realized that I rarely use high FL such as 150 or 200mm. With this in mind even though primes are superior optically I decided to fill my longish needs with a zoom.

At first I was looking into the Nikkor 70-210 f4 AIS since I already have the respective adapter to use it with. However, this choice while good and cheap enough I find it to be quite big and heavy especially for the A6000. In order to use it safely for the body I would have to buy a second adapter with a tripod mount. 

On the other hand there is the Nikkor AF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6D which is smaller (I think), much cheaper and most importantly lighter.

Optically I cannot be certain which is better especially considering both will be used at around f8.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sorry, I meant the 80-200 f4 AIS not the Series E one.

Do it right. Get the adapter with the tripod mount.

It's what you should have bought in the first place. 

You're not paying $100 just for a tripod foot. Every

aspect of the adapter is better, most notably the

latch on the front flange, and the entire rear flange.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in an early stage of considering both as well.  Based on the latest info, I kind of leaning toward Nikkor AF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6D since it is more compact. 

Love to hear your final decision and experience with the lens you choose.  It will be a while before I will get one since I got a 200mm already and just got a 105mm.