a7II menu language

Hello 

I'm new to the forum. I've just made the step up from my wonderful a6000 to the a7II! I bought it second hand for a really good price while on travel to Asia.

Now, since I'm german speaking, I was wondering if there is a possibility to change the firmware to have german as a menu choice? I realized that there are obviously several versions of the camera on the market ad that the one I've bought, unlike my a6000, doesn't have german as a choice.

I'm fine with english but would rather have german if it is possible and since there are other European languages to choose from (like turkish or french) I thought there is a way to change that.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've already tried the firmware update to V1.20 downloaded from the swiss sony webpage but it didn't seem to change anything!

Anyone knows how to make that work?

Kind regards

Martin

Hello,

I think you can't change to other languages than ones listed. It would need a kind of hacking tool to force upload of a specific firmware and I never heard of that before.

According to this post, it would even need motherboard switch !

Maybe you could call Sony Germany about this...

Curious, I've got a US camera. It replaces the last 3 choices you have with Italian and two that I infer are Japanese and Chinese. It's enough to make you suspect there's a variation out there that includes German.

You can link through any Sony country web site, but they all send you home to mother Sony in Japan to download the update. It is also my understanding that the updates are broadly regional, for example, Asian, European, Americas. Dunno what the Aussies get, and I've no clue what other variations there are. Asking Sony Germany seemed like a good suggestion and a quick way to get an answer.

"I've already tried the firmware update to V1.20 downloaded from the swiss sony webpage but it didn't seem to change anything!"

Thought this was more enhancements than bug fixes (.1!), mostly individual lens updates and some IBIS improvement. Not sure there's anything in there that would reach out and grab you beyond the ".2". Images improve and things just work better.

Old software rule of thumb is that v1.0 almost works, .1 fixes the really bad stuff customers trip over, and from .2 (or .11) on each release does more of the things that were in the original specs and better.

Lefty, I'm quite sure your camera does not have an option for Japanese. Sony is rather infamous for producing domestic models which have the menus in native Japanese without any other language options. Many people who have bought Sony cameras while travelling in Japan have encountered this issue. I'm guessing that your two similar looking options may be traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese or something of that sort. And in response to the OP, there is no way to change the languages offered on any particular model as far as I know.

I'm guessing that your two similar looking options may be traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese or something of that sort. And in response to the OP, there is no way to change the languages offered on any particular model as far as I know.

Lefty buys his stuff using bucks.   There is no way he can distinguish between standard Chinese and simplified Chinese.