Loxia 35 vs Sigma 35mm with MC-11

I am currently struggling if I should replace/ sell my loxia 35mm.

This is a really good lens that I have enjoyed so much to use, especially when I am alone and that I could dig into enjoying the pure joy of photography. I have no complaints to the quality.

The only problem here being,  I purchased a 35mm lens mainly for walk-around and travel light, alongside with my 55mm. I currently also own a 16-35 F4.

So I was thinking, if I should get the sigma lens + adapter cheap, should I replace it, with autofocus? Anyone has used it on 1st gen a7 and what was it like? e.g. focus speed, weight.

I like doing videos with my friend when I am travelling, and I found that a MF lens is actually not as convenient during a journey.

So I have 3 potential options:

1) Replace Loxia with Sigma

2) Keep Loxia and travel with 16-35 F4 + 55mm

3) Sell Loxia (you dont need a 35mm prime!)

If I sell the loxia I would probably use the money for a batis 85mm or 70-200 F4. But indeed I am not much into portraits but instead I intend to use it for landscape when a telephoto lens is needed. (or sometimes sports)

Any inputs would be appreciated!

........................... ... .. ................  .  .  ...........

So I have 3 potential options:

1) Replace Loxia with Sigma

2) Keep Loxia and travel with 16-35 F4 + 55mm

3) Sell Loxia (you dont need a 35mm prime!)

........... .. ... .. ....  ...   . .

Any inputs would be appreciated!

1) Seldom any reason to spend money replacing

same with similar or similar with same. Non-starter.

2) Making use of current gear. Always OK.

3) The statement in "( )" is unthinkable. Non-starter.  

4) Listing options as THREE choices. Always hints

at just rationalizing GASsy silly ideas. Three is like

a holy number, giving things gravitas. Non-starter.

You're welcome.

Haha thanks. Appreciate that. But I really want to know how people feel, both loxia and sigma 35mm.

For loxia, is it a good way to manually focus, then recompose the image, or actually change the position of the focus magnifier square and compose before focusing?

If the sigma works well I would actually be able to save some money, albeit its size...

Two more comments...

1. If its the Sigma Art lens that you are considering, have you compared its size against the Loxia? There's a big difference!!!

2. Have you explored zone focussing? With my Loxia I have worked out the focus position needed to give maximum depth of

field while maintaining infinity focus, and often use it as a pre-focussed point and shoot - for closer shots, practise estimating

your subject distance, focussing to that on the lens, and doing the same - with practice you should be able to do very well with this.

Yes. I have been using MF lenses for quite a long time. Just that in some situations, a MF lens is inadequate, as a walk around lens. However, 35mm is pretty easy for zone focus actually!

And ya I know, the sigma art is really heavy, just tested today...

Another cheap but high-performing option is the little Canon EF 40mm pancake - check out the reviews,

which indicate higher level performance than one would expect for such a small, simple lens. I use one

with the Metabones adapter, and it focuses very well. Obviously it doesn't compare with the Sigma Art

for speed or performance, but for some uses, I think that its underrated, and for street shooting, is

a very discrete size.

Beats me what "performance" means lens-wise. I

know the light passes thru the 40/2.8 EF at least

as fast as thru any other lens, and my impression

from using it is maybe it passes even faster :-) My

estimate is zero to 186000 miles per second in no

time flat. But thaz on a Canon. I'm sure it's waaay

faster on a Sony ....

I just can't bring myself to spend twice the cost of

that lens on an adapter to put it on my Sony ! I do

have other EF lenses but none of them will bring

anything to the Sony that I don't already have as

A-mount lenses. Put the 40 on a Metabones and

it's a $400 40/2.8. It would be more sane to go for

the native 35/2.8 FE, but I already have the very

wonderful 35/2.0 A-mount. Well maybe someday

Canon will make a cool live view body and my 40

will finally have a happy home .... and pigs will fly.

If you want autofocus, I would suggest the Sony Zeiss 35mm f/2.8. Razor sharp, small and light. I personally like the rendering of the Loxias, but if you want a walk-about to capture quick candids with AF, then the Sony Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 would be better than the Sigma. And I agree with the earlier comments challenging your "you don't need a 35mm prime" statement. I shoot all over the focal length spectrum, but if I am limited to one focal length it is 35mm.

If you want to get rid of manual focus -> Seiss 35/2,8. I would not title razor sharp, but it's a beauty, especially for traveling.

I just bought the 55, think it's a great combo for everyday stuff.

So you have great options - bigger and heavy for landscape etc, small and light for street/family/...

and btw - if you miss manual focus, try a contax 135mm ... ;-)

Loxia is supposed to have awesome microcontrast while 35mm Art doesn't have any. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

The Sigma 35mm is really a benchmark winner in synthetic tests. Sharpness, distortion etc.. Personally I liked the 50mm Art much better the Sigma qualities show up much better there. Not that the 35mm is bad in any way it's still one of a kind of a lens. Works quite well with the MC-11 adapter, but it may hunt more in low light compared to some native FE lenses like 55mm (probably due higher T-stop?).

http://petapixel.com/2016/03/14/problem-modern-lenses/

Personally I've been wanting the Loxia 35mm to complement the Sigma but currently I'm leaning toward Zeiss ZE 35mm F2 instead.

• 3 weeks later...

just curious, have you made a decision yet?  I'm finding I need/want a 35mm more and more to fill the gap between my Zeiss Batis 2/25mm and Zeiss Loxia 2/50 and can't decide on which of the available options would best meet most of my needs. I love the size of the Loxia line, but am sometimes tripped up with the manual focus. I'm actually considering selling my Loxia 50 and getting the Sony Zeiss 1.8/55 if for nothing else the advantages of auto focus and all the A7Rii features available to it (eye tracking, etc). I've thought about the Sony Zeiss 2.8/35 for the same reasons, small and auto focus and half the price of the Loxia. Ugh, so many choices, but not enough choices? 

i have so many 35mm lenses and i did had a resistance to buy the Sony 35mm 2.8 but in the end i bought one

and i must say it is a gem of a lens!

small, very sharp, very nice rendering and consistent all over the frame,

not a summicron in resolution but sharp at 2.8 all over the frame and very nice handling/build quality 

and AF!