Please let us switch off the flashing steady shot icon

Is it just me or is anyone else really annoyed by the flashing "steady shot" icon in the monitor and finder of the A7Rii.  I don't need that warning.  I'm experienced enough to know what I can hand-hold and what I can not.  I have steady shot turned on.

What's worse, is that is flashes over the image itself.  I could probably live with it if it was displayed on the edge.

It flashes away distracting the composition.  It keeps on flashing even if I select the "no info" display option.  "No info" means "no info": nada, nothing, zip, empty, image only - it does not mean "no info but we still insist on flashing the steady shot icon".

Please, please, please Sony, give us a menu option to turn off that flashing warning.  PLEASE!

Regards

Peter

Guest all8

There are several "Disp" modes where this Icon is not displayed. The one with "nothing" (no shit) and the one which shows the "level", there might be others ...

I personally use the one with the Level.

B)

While I agree the Sony info-in-finder was defintely NOT designed

by photographers, I've used so many viewing systems that had so

many problems, over so many decades, that even the Sony, which

I would call worst case, doesn't really bother me when I'm working.

It only bothers me when I look directly at it and think "this sukkz".

But if I don't think about it, I just see right thru it. If you can't come

around to a similar mental focus as that, try a hypnotist :-)

You are absolutely right. It is not a matter of concentration competition, like some arrogant replies suggest in this forum. Cameras, like any other personal device, should have functions, commands, menus and displays which could be fully customized. Manufacturers that don't understand this have obsolete concepts.

Photographers work in so many different ways that nobody can rule out what any other needs or asks.

For all those that work carefull compositions on a tripod, the steady shot warning is really distracting and boring. How stupid is that sign when you have your camera on a tripod! To ask for a clean viewfinder is not something weird. If lifeview is a straight forward approach in composing and previsualizing an image, the truly clean viewfinder is a must!

• 3 years later...

I agree. I just bought a Sony a6400. I have SteadyShot on. But just above the airplane (no Wi-Fi on) there is flashing icons that are 2 left parans, a hand, a camera with a frame icon below it and then an explanation point. They are grouped as one and so this takes up some room on the image and it constantly is flashing on and off. I have yet to get it shut off and it also makes no sense why Sony would ever have a icon glob like that. I am considering returning the camera. I have had it 2 weeks and I DO NOT get used to it.

• 4 months later...
On 6/16/2019 at 8:09 AM, skideroo said:

I agree. I just bought a Sony a6400. I have SteadyShot on. But just above the airplane (no Wi-Fi on) there is flashing icons that are 2 left parans, a hand, a camera with a frame icon below it and then an explanation point. They are grouped as one and so this takes up some room on the image and it constantly is flashing on and off. I have yet to get it shut off and it also makes no sense why Sony would ever have a icon glob like that. I am considering returning the camera. I have had it 2 weeks and I DO NOT get used to it.

I had the same grouping of icons which flashed on and off but after turning the settings dial to different ones (shutter priority, aperture priority, etc) they disappeared. I don't know why but I don't care. No more flashing icons!

The trouble is that it's all or nothing with Sony and the icons.

So... select nothing. And be able to see your image without all that interference. You still get the essential exposure information at the bottom, and you can still have "Display all info" configured as one of the steps on the DISP [button] cycle for when you want to see one of those settings.

As for stuff like a flashing icon to tell us, "Look, don't expect OSS to cope with 1 second hand-held," we know that. We know we're pushing it and relying on the breathing exercises.

Keep stuff like focus and exposure modes and zones on the Fn screen: use the Fn button to quick-check what you currently have them set to. There is another thing, the focus set guide,  the rolling ribbon display which duplicates the exposure info at the bottom of the screen: that can be turned off too. It might be useful in P mode, but usually, I'm changing A, and watching A on the screen: I don't need the ribbon.

These cameras are like moving into a furnished house. You have to spend time shifting things around until you can live in it your way. Spend time in the menu settings. Maybe in the company of one of the good books that you have to buy because the camera doesn't come with a manual*. It pays dividends: you can make this camera into a comfortable home!

(*Yes, Sony has an online (and downloadable) reference guide. It's worth knowing about as an ultimate reference source, but I prefer something with a human touch, and something that tells me not only what something does but why I might want to do that. Or not.)

(Based on a6000 and a6500 experience)

Edited by Thad E Ginathom

I’m new to the forum, but I totally agree with you.  At best, the display screen is cluttered, but does it have to blink, too?  My camera is working great, so I have no plans to upgrade the firmware UNLESS they fix this problem.  Sony, say something.  

Edited by Lajoiephoto

• 8 months later...
On 6/6/2016 at 11:46 PM, peterbkk said:

Is it just me or is anyone else really annoyed by the flashing "steady shot" icon in the monitor and finder of the A7Rii.  I don't need that warning.  I'm experienced enough to know what I can hand-hold and what I can not.  I have steady shot turned on.

What's worse, is that is flashes over the image itself.  I could probably live with it if it was displayed on the edge.

It flashes away distracting the composition.  It keeps on flashing even if I select the "no info" display option.  "No info" means "no info": nada, nothing, zip, empty, image only - it does not mean "no info but we still insist on flashing the steady shot icon".

Please, please, please Sony, give us a menu option to turn off that flashing warning.  PLEASE!

Regards

Peter

I had the same problem, but i changed it to shutter mode. The icon never appears again