Northern Lights (Meteor, Satellite and Aeroplane)

bvartak

Sharing 4 images here.... intention is to make aware general readers about how easily it’s to identify Meteor, Satellite and airplane in any photograph. I felt lucky to capture all in mere 30 minutes of time in Iceland.

I went well prepared to Iceland to capture aurora borealis (Northern Lights)...this time I had wish to capture it. Last time when I saw Aurora was in year 2005 and it was not aurora borealis but Aurora Australis (Southern Lights). I was a student, with no money to buy DSLR.

This time I had 3 set ups with me.

1. Sony A7Rmii + Zeiss Batis 25MM F2

2. Sony A7R + Zeiss Touit 12MM F2.8 (APSC lens)

3. Sony A77 Markii + Samyang 14MM F2.8 (Thanks to my friend Nandita who brought it for me from USA)

This was done to make sure I am not opening my camera in different temperature thus avoiding chance to have any sort of condensation and moisture entry in the camera body. Temperature was fine, it never dipped below -2/-3 in mid night. I got some exceptional clicks as Mother Earth and Nature was in full mood with Sun to show us a beautiful dance on April 09-10, 2016. With KP index of 3.33 I had good hope for the show and it went higher. I was lucky to witness G1 show again on April 12-13 midnight.

Coming back to the date of 09-10... my first day in Iceland... I went with Reykjvik Excursion to 'Þingvellir, anglicised as Thingvellir National Park'. The best show starts usually between 11:00 to 1:00. These photos were clicked between 12:31 to 12:46...using Sony A77 Mark ii + Samyang 14MM F2.8...

1. 'DSC00584_two_Satellites.jpeg' shows two satellites in the image. you can see a straight line at two place, Top-right and other on the bottom side towards left above the snow peak. It can be easily identified. Point to note about satellites is they give us a straight lines (always).... not a dotted line like airplane  . Secondly they dont have a round head like meteor. taken at 12:31 AM

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2. Taken at 12:36 AM, 'DSC00588_Aeroplace.jpeg'.. See on full screen, you can see a line of dots below Cassiopeia constellation and right of the Pleiades Constellation. Else check in mid of two snow peaked mountains. This is a movement of Aeroplace.

3. Now in this third click (DSC00593_Single_Satellite.jpeg) taken at 12:41 Am, check the constellation called Aquilae (Indian name 'Sravana'). The satellite is there on the top-right of the photo between the brightest star and the top star of the 'Aquilae' constellation. Again a line is captured (straight line). Satellites don't blink like airplane but they reflect the light through their solar panels because of Sun.

4. Fourth click of 12:46 Am 'DSC00598_Meteor.jpeg' clearly shows the meteor captured at top-right side. Location is same - between the brightest star and the top star of the 'Aquilae' constellation.

I hope this write up will help novice readers to understand the clear difference between Meteor, Aeroplane and Satellite now.

• 2 weeks later...