Helios-44-2 2/58

Cool! I'm not really knowledgable on using these lenses on e-mount cameras. What adapter did you use for the lens? (Or do you not need an adapter for this lens?)

It is originally in M42 mount but my copy came with a Minolta MD adapter for which I have a high quality Novoflex Adapter.

For more information about adapting maunal lenses please read my Introduction to manual lenses on the a7

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On of my favourite lenses, very distinctive bokeh (swirly). Can be very sharp stopped down but wide open only the very center is really sharp, the rest of the frame gets progressively more blury. Excellent for special effect portraits.

15506025906_1401b10dbd_c.jpgNEX6_0001_9507 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

14916369374_947c6514ca_c.jpgNEX6_0001_9494 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

17302197625_17052c2dee_c.jpgNEX6_0002_2034 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice images!

I also really enjoy the Helios 44-2 for its effects and sharpness, also it's very cheap price!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This lens will primarily be my street photography lens on my next holiday, after getting used to manual focus and being able to focus quickly and accurately, I think it will be a lot of fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

wonderful pictures all in all - the old pre-war Carl Zeiss Biotar 58mm/2 or russian copies Helios... or the Biotar 75mm/1.5 - one of the reasons why I switched to Sony Alpha 7, the squirling bokeh requires full frame... 

You may choose a Helicoid adapter for M42 (e.g. from quenox), which helps for close distance shots and especially for the old silver Zeiss versions of the lens, where

the lubrication is frequently not very good working any more.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've got the lens.  It has a peculiar diaphragm situation.  The outer ring has numbers on it, supposedly corresponding to f stops: 16 on the left, and culminating with 2 on the right (looking down on the lens).  The next ring has a little red dot on it.  I can move this ring so the dot aligns with the numbers on the outer f stop ring.  The funny thing is, when the red dot is positioned opposite the 2, the diaphragm is actually stopped down to the minimum (presumably 16).  Likewise when the red dot is positioned opposite the 16, the diaphragm is all the way open.  It appears to be backwards.  It will take pictures, however.

the outer ring defines the aperture value and with mine it works very stiifly; the next ring on mine works fine and it is only to switch between open diaphragm and the value defined by the outer ring; so the correct aperture value is not shown with the red dot

with an Zeiss Biotar (the Helios is a russian copy of this) the red dot for the second ring shows the correct diaphragm value; so I like the Zeiss more; but the Helios for 15€ was a bargain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got it to work.  These are at f5.6.  I like the rendition.

Here's another one.