HELP! Sony A7Rii won't mount on any of my computers

Hi everyone!

I have a Sony A7Rii and I want to update the firmware.  The issue is that it WON'T connect to any of my computers.  I tried Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, iMac, and Windows 7.  I also tried 2 different cables.  I also made sure the USB Connection was set to MASS STORAGE on the camera.  I also tried it with a SDHC card rather than a SDXC.

Using the same cable, I connected my A7S to the computer, and no problem, a screen comes up on my A7S saying I'm connected to the computer.  So I know for sure it's not the cable.

So my issue is that it won't mount to any of my computers so that I can perform the firmware update.  Is there another way to update the firmware?

HELP PLEASE!!!

To upgrade the firmware of the original A7* series, at least on a Mac, you had to previously download and install a kernel extension from Sony:

http://briansmith.com/sony-firmware-update-patch-for-mac-os-10-10-yosemite-users/

Maybe it is still the same for the A7* II series?

Alternatively, have you tried connecting the usb cable to the camera ONLY when you're asked to by the firmware installation software (i.e. not straight away before even starting the update)?

To upgrade the firmware of the original A7* series, at least on a Mac, you had to previously download and install a kernel extension from Sony:

http://briansmith.com/sony-firmware-update-patch-for-mac-os-10-10-yosemite-users/

Maybe it is still the same for the A7* II series?

Alternatively, have you tried connecting the usb cable to the camera ONLY when you're asked to by the firmware installation software (i.e. not straight away before even starting the update)?

Thanks addicted2light!

Yes I tried that too, but after I open the DMG and authorize it, nothing happens.... Tried rebooting computer and everything.

As for the alternative solution, yes I tried that too where I only connected it when it asked me to!

I tried again on my friend's PC and same problem, no message comes up on the camera screen saying that it has detected it being connected to a computer...

A couple of details mentioned in the instructions for update:

This update can only be performed when the remaining battery level has three bars or more.

After starting the software but before connecting the camera:

Remove the memory card from the camera.

Power on the camera.

A couple of details mentioned in the instructions for update:

This update can only be performed when the remaining battery level has three bars or more.

After starting the software but before connecting the camera:

Remove the memory card from the camera.

Power on the camera.

Thanks michelb, but unfortunately I tried that as well =(

Not even talking about the firmware part, my camera just doesn't connect or mount to any of the computers!  I tried another PC today and still no connection...

Thanks addicted2light!

Yes I tried that too, but after I open the DMG and authorize it, nothing happens.... Tried rebooting computer and everything.

As for the alternative solution, yes I tried that too where I only connected it when it asked me to!

I tried again on my friend's PC and same problem, no message comes up on the camera screen saying that it has detected it being connected to a computer...

The first time the kernel extension fooled me as well. Unlike any other Mac software, you will have to run it from INSIDE the DMG; if you try to copy the app to the disk, and then run it, like it's customary, it will do nothing, and won't even give you some kind of warning message.

If using the kernel extension should fail, and given the other attempts you did on other computers, my next guess would be that there might be something wrong with the usb port on your camera. To rule it out, you could try mounting the camera changing the usb protocol to the other one (MTP if I'm not mistaken) or to "Auto" and see if you can at least connect with, for example, a tethering software or an image transferring software. 

If you manage to do so, then it is some kind of firmware-related problem. If not, then probably the hardware usb connection is to blame.

The first time the kernel extension fooled me as well. Unlike any other Mac software, you will have to run it from INSIDE the DMG; if you try to copy the app to the disk, and then run it, like it's customary, it will do nothing, and won't even give you some kind of warning message.

If using the kernel extension should fail, and given the other attempts you did on other computers, my next guess would be that there might be something wrong with the usb port on your camera. To rule it out, you could try mounting the camera changing the usb protocol to the other one (MTP if I'm not mistaken) or to "Auto" and see if you can at least connect with, for example, a tethering software or an image transferring software. 

If you manage to do so, then it is some kind of firmware-related problem. If not, then probably the hardware usb connection is to blame.

Yeah I tried it within the DMG and also copied to disk.  Both did nothing.

I also changed it to Auto, MTP, PC as well, still nothing!  Also tried image capture software, still nothing.

The weird thing is, that it detects that there is power because it goes from battery % to the 'charge' icon on the camera LCD once I plug it in.  But that's about it...

Thank you for your help, I'll have to contact Sony for help now

Guest Colin Scott Johnson

@desy31

OK, there is a BIG usability issue with the way Sony does it's upgrades and it puzzled me at first.

You need to have the camera switched OFF first.

1. Camera switched OFF

2. Run updater to the point it tells you to switch on the camera

3. Switch camera ON

4. Continue updater

Even with this, I've had it fail to connect using 3rd party USB cords, so make sure you use the one that came with the camera.

HTH

@desy31

OK, there is a BIG usability issue with the way Sony does it's upgrades and it puzzled me at first.

1. Camera switched OFF

3. Switch camera ON

4. Continue updater

Even with this, I've had it fail to connect using 3rd party USB cords, so make sure you use the one that came with the camera.

HTH

I agree - You should be using the cable that came with the camera. There are sometimes subtle differences in the way they are wired, and Sony may be expecting something that isn't hooked up with a different cable. If are using a charge-only cable versus a data/charge cable, that might be it.

Thank

@desy31

1. Camera switched OFF

3. Switch camera ON

4. Continue updater

Thanks Coiln and dbmiller!

Problem solved!  Yeah I was using my A7s USB cable... thought it didn't matter, but I dug out the A7Rii cable out of the box and it finally works.

Thank you so much for all the help!