Sony 135mm STF 2.8 [4.5] lens

Jeremy

I've had the STF lens for 6 months now after picking it up for half price (!!!!) at my local closing Sony Store. I've had a lot of fun exploring the capabilities of this lens and overall love it.

There are a few big issues I have though- 1) manual focusing accurately at 135mm is HARD with people and moving subjects and 2) the colour the lens produces is miles away from the colour my Zeiss lenses produce, and often takes some real fiddling in Lightroom to get it right. I find the colour of people quite cold and blue cast.

But the positives- wow. This lens is producing stunning results for me and I now often look at a scene and before anything else wonder how the STF would render it.

Here is my collection of STF photos, including a comparison shot showing bokeh and focus properties of the STF vs the Zeiss 135mm 1.8 ZA. I'd love some tips and feedback and especially from

other owners of the STF lens. Thanks!

https://www.flickr.com/search/?tags=sony135mmf28t45stfsal135f28&sort=relevance&user_id=35534197%40N02

Looks nice!  I've been contemplating on whether to get that lens or not.  I was thinking of maybe waiting to see if there is a 135 coming out for the Emount or not.  Have you ever used the Zeiss 135 1.8? If so how would you compare the 2?

Yes I own both. As I said in my post, see my photos for a comparison of exactly those two lenses. In my opinion, the Zeiss 135mm 1.8 ZA is by far more adaptable and versatile being 1.8 and AF. The STF requires a LOT of light, and care with manual focus. When you nail a shot with the STF, it's surreal. If I had to chose one to keep - I'd be heartbroken, but I'd keep the Zeiss because of how much more often I am able to use it, and the much higher % of usable images I get out of it. (mainly due to AF) In reality the Zeiss 135 is nothing short of incredible, and is much easier to work with.

My dream is that someday the STF will be released with Zeiss T coatings/colours, and AF.

Hi Jeremy,

My name is Mario and I am an other proud owner of this fantastic lens. I agree with you on your first issue about focusing but as an enthusiast with poor skills my overall score of keepers are high. The focus peaking and stabilization of my A77 help me a lot.

I do not have or tried the 135 ZEISS but I do not see problems or weaknesses with the color rendering of the STF. The ZEISS is the king of sharpness and the STF has his own character that I love so much.

I suggest you try to play a bit more with your composition in adding foreground bokeh that I think you will be amazed with the results. Enjoy your new gem !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeremy,

My name is Mario and I am an other proud owner of this fantastic lens. I agree with you on your first issue about focusing but as an enthusiast with poor skills my overall score of keepers are high. The focus peaking and stabilization of my A77 help me a lot.

I do not have or tried the 135 ZEISS but I do not see problems or weaknesses with the color rendering of the STF. The ZEISS is the king of sharpness and the STF has his own character that I love so much.

I suggest you try to play a bit more with your composition in adding foreground bokeh that I think you will be amazed with the results. Enjoy your new gem !!!

Thanks for the suggestion. You're right - I have not put much in the foreground yet. I'll try and play with that this weekend. :) Do you have any examples to share?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi STF savvies!

I had some time lately and repeated what I did in 2011 with the SAL 70-200 F 2.8 and compared the STF with the rather new FE 70-200 F4 G OSS SSM and to round this up I added two legacy lenses to the comparison which have the reputation to create nice bokehs as well: Pentacon 135mm F2.8 with 16 aperture blades and 85/2 MC Jupiter-9 with 15 aperture blades. The two 135mm lenses and the 70-200 where mounted on the ILCE-7 and the Jupiter-9 on the ILCE-6000. Maybe you'll find that interesting:

http://joerghaag.com/2014/12/09/stf-vs-fe70200-vs-theunderdog-en/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had the opportunity last weekend (and the weather) to do some portraiture with the STF on A7:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

J.