Sony FE 50 1.8 Hands on first Impressions

Update: added some more images i made today outside to my FE 50 1.8 First look, and wow really did not expect that kind of image quality and detail, also really beautiful bokeh and even some 3d pop on some images, so image quality is excellent. These are all just edited with basic settings in lightroom. This lens even has a kind of unique warm look, very nice!

Ok so here is my reaction. I am still processing images but the AF seems insane. I am on single shot and AF-S -- it still hunts and seems to not want to lock on. I am not sure if it is my lens or the A7II just needs a firmware update. The images themselves look great.

Ok so here is my reaction. I am still processing images but the AF seems insane. I am on single shot and AF-S -- it still hunts and seems to not want to lock on. I am not sure if it is my lens or the A7II just needs a firmware update. The images themselves look great.

If the firmware is outdated, why wouldn't you upgrade it?

Two people have reported the same issue on Facebook -- I do think it is a firmware issue. I am going to wait a few days. I may exchange it or send it in to Sony. I spoke with support this afternoon.

Mine goes back to Amazon today. I was using it as an MF lens last night, which defeats the whole point of buying it. I can use my Konica 57mm f1.4 if that was the objective. I also own about 7 other 45-58mm lenses.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this type of problem with my FE 50 f1.8 with 3.10 firmware on my A7 mkii. I contacted Sony UK and they asked me to remove battery, reinsert it and put the camera back to its default settings. This did the trick.

Remove the battery pack, wait for about one minute, re-insert the battery pack, then turn on the power.

·        Initialize settings to the default setting as follows Menu- Setup- Setting Reset- Initialize- OK."  Hope this is of help

I had this type of problem with my FE 50 f1.8 with 3.10 firmware on my A7 mkii. I contacted Sony UK and they asked me to remove battery, reinsert it and put the camera back to its default settings. This did the trick.

Remove the battery pack, wait for about one minute, re-insert the battery pack, then turn on the power.

·        Initialize settings to the default setting as follows Menu- Setup- Setting Reset- Initialize- OK."  Hope this is of help

Really? A factory reset huh. That's even weirder. But I'm glad it worked for you. So is this a final solution for this lens? I'm looking for a cheap auto focus normal, and the IQ of the Sony 1.8/50 looks very promising to me.

I have A7 and AF-S hunts everytime - in corners newer lock. But AF-C its great - 4x faster! 

I Sold A7R + 55/1,8 and bought A7 + FE28/2 + FE 50/1,8  and I'm happy. A7+50/1,8 its faster and more accurate then A7R +55/1,8