Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has been able to test out the new Nissin Air R (receiver).

I got one for Canon with the intention of pairing my Canon 430EX II with the Air 1 Commander on my Sony A7ii. I went through the pairing process and it worked, but when I shoot, I only get a flash every 2-3 shots.

Does anyone have ideas as to why this is happening? Would it be because you can't mix and match Air Commanders and Air R's from different brands? I may test it out using a strobe with a sync cable and see if it fires on every shot.

Thanks!

Is the firmware updated on the Air 1 and if it is what update did it get? Canon, Sony, or Nikon? Just the need to have different firmware to talk to the same unit might indicate its inability to use across brands. (See the Nissin website on how to check for current firmware)

I was under the impression that each branded commander/receiver were not compatible with each other. Also, if you're trying to use HSS or TTL between brands, you're probably not going to have good results either. The Sony air receiver hasn't been released yet, but I have one on preorder from B&H, so the only thing I can say is the commander works perfectly with my two di700a speedlights.

• 4 weeks later...

Per my explanation in another thread in this forum, what I've learned from the website and other reviews (it is all confusing):

---Nissin's own flashes (i60A and perhaps i700A) are equipped with the TTL codes for Canon, Nikon, Sony and a few others.

---With the Air Commander, these NISSIN flashes can be mixed and matched.

---The Air R receiver will ONLY work with camera system flashes from the primary vendor (e.g., AIR R for Canon, only with Canon's own flashes, not with Nikon or Sony) OR with certain Nissin flashes (primarily the i40) lacking wireless capabilities.

--you can build a multi-vendor flash TTL network but only with Nissin's own flashes plus you can integrate original manufacturer flashes via the R adapter but only for the same flash system as used by the Air Wireless Commander.

You can't mix and match native vendor flashes (Canon and Sony, for example) but you can mix and match different vendor versions of Nissin flashes.

You can get NIssin's Canon-compatible Nissin i60A flashes to work with the Sony air commander. But you can only get native Canon flashes to fire using a Canon R Receiver connected to a Canon Air controller on a Canon body.

So, for Sony you can use:

--Nissin's Sony Air Commander on a Sony multifunction hot shoe (with upgraded Air Commander firmware or a brand new unit--older units need to be sent to Nissin for upgrade)

--Nissin's R receiver hosting either a Nissin i40a (which lacks wireless connectivity--hence the need for the R Receiver) lor any hot shoe compatible Sony flash (HVL 32, 43, 60) on the R adapter

--Any version (Sony, Nikon, Canon, etc.) of the Nissin i60A off camera (and possibly the A700--which is what the website implies.)

Hope this helps clarify things.