Sign in to follow this  
Marc Contaxtonikon

Techart Pro Adapter

I have been following the launch of this potentially very interesting product https://www.facebook.com/techartadapter/ and even had some (albeit frustrating) contacts to support them in market introduction in Germany.

The concept is almost as ingenious as the AF functionality in the CONTAX AX - I just love it...

As I am planning a trip to New York, I checked, if it is available at http://www.adorama.com/ or at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ as originally announced - both no longer offer the product.

This and the fact that I have no clue, where I could test the product in Germany any other way than just ordering it direct from China without any assurance what happens if I don't like the performance of the adapter doesn't give me a good feeling.

Any feedback from users who have already obtained the adapter? Ideally I would look for feedback from someone who has used it with CY Zeiss lenses

I have the version for the Contax G lenses, got it from Roxsen in China (very friendly seller, but not the manufacturer).

Initially, my experience on the A7R was quite frustrating: it hunted and didn't meet the focus at all. Manual focusing via it's motor was fine, though.

I tried to update it as described here: http://www.deoinfinity.com (their new website), but the adapter wasn't even recognized by either an A7R nor an A7R II. Finally, before getting so frustrated to just send it back, I tried with a friend's A7S. It's bluetooth was seen immediately by my iPhone and the firmware update went smooth. 

Now it works perfectly fine on both an A7R II and an A6300 (I don't have the A7R any more). Focusing is as fast as it ever was on the original camera, maybe even faster, and it's dead on without any adjustment. I use both a 90mm and a 45mm lens with it and I really like it!

............... Focusing is as fast as it ever was on the original camera,

maybe even faster, and it's dead on without any adjustment. I use

both a 90mm and a 45mm lens with it and I really like it!  

it's dead on without any adjustment

It's on a live view camera body, so "AF Micro Adjust" doesn't apply.

Is there some other adjustability, such as infinity position, designed  

the adapter ? I know SpeedBoosters are adjustable to relocate the 

infinity position ....

No, and I don't think it's needed, since there's no optical element in the adapter. After all, the original camera just focused in the same manner.

I can focus to infinity without any problem.

I think the option for adjusting it (by the help of those high "f-stop" numbers) was just a workaround for older software or other cameras. When I found that current firmware works perfectly fine on the A7R II (I compared manual and AF from a tripod with a resolution chart) I didn't even touch those adjustments.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By sonyatlanta
      Howdy - Question, I have a Sony a5000, 5300 and 6000 (e mount) and I'm looking for an adapter for the Sony e mount so I'm able to use my Nikon 1 Nikkor Lens (Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 and Nikon 1 Nikkor 11 - 27.5mm). I believe the Nikon's are G mount lens and I've read multiple articles with different suggestions. Any and all help would be much appreciated. And I'm looking to keep it a low cost as possible. Appreciate it! 
      Cheers, Btlyle (@sonyatlanta)
    • By FDP
      I have now tried two copies of Metabones' Canon FD-Sony E Adapter (Part# MB_FD-E-BM1) on my Sony cameras. This adapter fits comfortably on the Sony a6000 body, however on the A7Rii it does not properly fit and to my horror it appeared to scratch the front surface of the lens mount. I have several other Metabones adapters for Sony E (Nikon F, C/Y) that do not have this issue, and generally I find the quality of the Metabones adapters to be better than competing brands - certainly better than the lower end brands, but also better than the Novaflex adapters that cost ~2x as much. This issue brings up two questions:

I wonder if the tolerance on the old Sony E mount is looser than on the updated mk ii lineup (A7II, A7RII, A7SII, a6300). I know that Sony improved the rigidity of the mount in the update, I wonder if anyone else has noticed a commensurate tightening of tolerances (meaning other old adapters may also now fall out of spec).  Has anyone else had issues with the Metabones Canon FD adapter on the mk ii full frame E-mount bodies? As many FD lenses are of low quality I would imagine that these adapters get mostly purchased for the less expensive bodies, but as there are some excellent FD mount lenses available I am hoping that somebody else has tried one of these on an A7Rii. The issue I experienced was unacceptable and I would caution other users to try Metabones adapters in-store before trying to use them on their own kit. 

Regards, 
      FDP
    • By oscarmas
      Is there any consensus out there as to what's the best Canon to e mount lens adapter that also provides aperture control?

I'm OK with manual focus so poor autofocus isn't necessarily a deal breaker. My Fotasy adapter works great with my Olympus lenses that have an manual aperture ring but the lack of an electronic handshake keeps me stuck on maximum aperture for my Canon lenses.

Thanks
    • By oscarmas
      I got my a6000 for an upcoming trip and so far really enjoying it, particularly the ability to adapt my older Canon and Olympus lenses.

Some questions however...
      when shooting in the studio, the exposure is set for my strobes and usually something like f8 and 1/125th. For my manual (e.g. Olympus) lenses, this renders the viewing images extremely dark and makes manual focusing quite difficult. This is logical since the camera doesn't "know" about the strobes and sets the viewfinder to match the modeling lights. Is there a work around? same for color temp. Shooting in the studio temp is set for strobe but since the modeling lights are tungsten the preview in the finder is much too yellow. My canon lenses can only be used at maximum aperture since they don't have a manual aperture ring. I've read awful reviews of expensive adaptors that autofocus very poorly... do they at least connect to enable aperture control? Thanks!