Are camera screens still plastic?

My NEX-7 screen soon got into a poor condition and I had to replace the top layer with a glass item.

Now the thing is the screen on my kindle Fire is gorilla type glass and just looks brand new over a year later, despite loads of handling.

My question is are modern camera screens built like this? and if not why not?

Imho gorilla glass is not any solution. I've tried without any extra cover on too many phones, it doesn't just make any sense, with or without doesn't matter anymore. The bigger the screen the more fragile it tends to be.

Gorilla glass might pass the regular demo booth showcase with keys rather than any real world challlange. Put it in a dirty camera bag... one grain of sand is enough, if it's rubbing the GG and it will most likely leave permanent marks.

The best thing today like with any cellphone. Just get tempered (9H) glass cover and replace it when needed. It almost works like a bike helmet, once there is any crack (or any visible defect), you want to replace it asap since it is keeping the screen safe.

As a bonus that glass tend to be a bit more tolerant to greasy fingerprints than any plastic out there, also if it's a touch screen it will feel transparent compared to those old plastic covers/invisible shields etc.

Cameras have glass screens as well - the problem is not the glass, but the coating. You will not see many cameras with screens that are actually broken, whereas there must be millions of smartphones with shattered Gorilla glass about. Sony in particular, but also Panasonic, applied inferior quality coatings to avoid glare on their camera monitors. Those coatings rubbed off, depending on what it was they rubbed against - sometimes it was sufficient to have the camera dangle against your sweater. Some people reported having no problems, but most used Nex cameras I have seen have little flakes of coating missing (as well as A77, A65 and various other models). The odd thing is that it took Sony so many years to figure out how to prevent that from happening - or they just ignored it, hoping the client wouldn't notice? It didn't exactly help establish their reputation as builders of solid gear, anyway. Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Olympus on the other hand have no problems at all with their screen coatings and the Sony A7 series seems to be okay now, so Sony must have figured it out in the meantime.