Just got the 85mm GM - Focus noise issue?

I just received the 85mm GM lens today and it might have some sort of focusing noise issue. This thing is LOUD - like you could hear it from 6-10 feet away easily. (think shovel on a linoleum floor).  Has anyone else received this lens yet?  Are you having similar issues or is mine for sure defect?

I posted a video of it on youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxWQ7tZDUtc

mine sounds about the same, recorded some vid using the Camera built in mic to see if it'll pick up some noise, and it seems like I couldn't hear it.

I'm also not too impressed with the speed, it seems to hunt quite a bit...

my adapted canon was faster at focusing.

mine sounds about the same, recorded some vid using the Camera built in mic to see if it'll pick up some noise, and it seems like I couldn't hear it.

I'm also not too impressed with the speed, it seems to hunt quite a bit...

my adapted canon was faster at focusing.

Do you have the latest camera firmware..? I think I read somewhere that the update improved focusing with the GM lenses.

I just received the 85mm GM lens today and it might have some sort of focusing noise issue. This thing is LOUD - like you could hear it from 6-10 feet away easily. (think shovel on a linoleum floor).  Has anyone else received this lens yet?  Are you having similar issues or is mine for sure defect?

I posted a video of it on youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxWQ7tZDUtc

Same here. The scratchy noise on my 85GM is very-very irritating.

My 24-70GM is silent and fast.

Guest Jaf-Photo

This is a reported issue, along with internal scratches. I can't see how quality control could have missed it.

Anyway, I never buy the first batches of anything. There's always some teething problem.

That said, the first 85/1.4 ZA I bought had scratchy focus. Moreover it had scratches and cleaning residue all over one of the internal elements. It came in a factory sealed box.

So if you get a dud, just exchange it until you get a good copy.

This is a reported issue, along with internal scratches. I can't see how quality control could have missed it.

Anyway, I never buy the first batches of anything. There's always some teething problem.

That said, the first 85/1.4 ZA I bought had scratchy focus. Moreover it had scratches and cleaning residue all over one of the internal elements. It came in a factory sealed box.

So if you get a dud, just exchange it until you get a good copy.

After 100ish shots, the scratchy noise seem to be much less. However, it's not quiet as Batis. GM85 built with heavy glasses. The internal AF movement noise reminded me my Canon 85 f1.2 sounds.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Ok, look for internal paint scratches. That's what users have been reporting. Scratching noises until paint comes off internally.

Not a super situation.

i'm thinking mine isn't that bad...  it sounds like others reporting it is a lot louder.

To confirm your issue do the following:

1. Set the aperture to 1.4

2. Set to focus to manual focus

3. Set the focus to infinity. This will push the lens elements to the back.

4. Take a small flash light and look around the lens barrel.

I see about 3 different contact points where I can see the "rub" marks.  From what I can tell my rub marks isn't as severe as others posted online, but it is certainly is there.

1 of the rub spots are almost an inch wide.

Yes - the camera has been updated to 3.10 firmware.  No, I don't see any scratches yet - but I've only taken maybe 50 photos with it.  At first I thought it might have been friction in moving the elements when focusing, but now I am not so sure.  If you manually focus the lens very slowly, there is no noise.  Even when auto-focusing, if the auto-focus is making small adjustments, there is no noise either.  

I'm not 100% sure this is a defect or just how the lens is, but I would be very curious as to why no one who reviewed the lens at Sony's press event mentioned this. You could not use this lens during a quiet ceremony, it would drive people there nuts (and be audible from at least 6-10 feet away).  The images coming out of the lens are quite nice, but the auto-focus noise is unacceptable for a flagship prime lens that costs nearly 2000 dollars.  The size/weight of the glass is not a valid reason either. My canon 70-200 2.8ii is practically inaudible, and so is the Sigma 50mm art, which weights the same.  

Here is another video illustrating this.  

Yes - the camera has been updated to 3.10 firmware.  No, I don't see any scratches yet - but I've only taken maybe 50 photos with it.  At first I thought it might have been friction in moving the elements when focusing, but now I am not so sure.  If you manually focus the lens very slowly, there is no noise.  Even when auto-focusing, if the auto-focus is making small adjustments, there is no noise either.  

I'm not 100% sure this is a defect or just how the lens is, but I would be very curious as to why no one who reviewed the lens at Sony's press event mentioned this. You could not use this lens during a quiet ceremony, it would drive people there nuts (and be audible from at least 6-10 feet away).  The images coming out of the lens are quite nice, but the auto-focus noise is unacceptable for a flagship prime lens that costs nearly 2000 dollars.  The size/weight of the glass is not a valid reason either. My canon 70-200 2.8ii is practically inaudible, and so is the Sigma 50mm art, which weights the same.  

Here is another video illustrating this.  

I didn't see my scratches till this morning...  you'll see if soon enough.  that said, the sound is definitely getting less severe.  I can already tell some of the focus range is sounding quieter. 

I'll update once the sound gets considerably less..  I recorded via video using internal mic shooting at a white wall...  the mid ranges is already significantly quieter...  lol i'll beat it into shape i guess.

I just put on the 24-70 to see.. it was the quietest thing i've heard...  in comparison to all the L lenses i have... this by far is the quietest...  if 85 is supposed to be this quiet... it'll take a lot more than wear and tear...

Just listened to the you tube video. That noise is terrible and it is supposed to be premium quality.

Why is the quality control so poor?

Why does one almost expect to have to try half a dozen copies before one gets a good one?

At least the zeiss fe 24-70, although of poor optical quality, is silent.

As for my loxias, the only sound that you will hear is from my arthritic fingers!!!!

Here's a video of Internal Mic recording of before and after about 4 hours of use.

Keep in mind I left the wind reduction feature on (didn't even think of it till later) but looking at the WAV form it has gotten quieter after Mic readjusts gain levels.

and the sound is definitely louder in stills focus, but i don't see this as a deal breaker.  I don't plan on taking a lot of videos with this lens, and for stills the sound for me is not that loud.

Perhaps others can also do the same test?  I feel that Internal Mic recording would serve as a common/consistent control among all the users.  Mine is shot with A7RII

I'm on High AF Sensitivity @ Fast Video Focus settings.

https://youtu.be/HWQryS5wXwQ

Here's a video of Internal Mic recording of before and after about 4 hours of use.

Keep in mind I left the wind reduction feature on (didn't even think of it till later) but looking at the WAV form it has gotten quieter after Mic readjusts gain levels.

and the sound is definitely louder in stills focus, but i don't see this as a deal breaker.  I don't plan on taking a lot of videos with this lens, and for stills the sound for me is not that loud.

Perhaps others can also do the same test?  I feel that Internal Mic recording would serve as a common/consistent control among all the users.  Mine is shot with A7RII

Yeah mine makes the same noise but I think mine has the noise over a range of focusing. 

Here is a comparison between that and the Sigma 50mm Art.  People keep saying the audio gain is too loud (lower the volume on the video till ambient noise is gone)... 

My 85mm gm is on the way back to bh. I asked for exchange. Hope to get good copy next time. My copy has same rubbing noise likes your. I checked the lens barrel and saw scratches and rubbing marks.

just read the lensrental article, hurray, case closed. too bad many people canceled their orders...  :(

it is a fantastic lens. I'm loving mine.

Same here. I'm happy with it, even it makes some noise and has lubricant.

BUT, I'm very disapointed none of these Sony Artisans and indipendent testers, that praised the lens in previews, ever pointed toward the noise issue. Either they had different lenses or they are just a scripted reality marketing strategy.

• 3 weeks later...

Another one here thats completely unacceptable with regard to the AF noise, I guess the UK stock of this lens is just as terrible as the rest of the world, it's beyond Me how people have decided to keep this lens in it's current form, what the hell were Sony thinking ? do they think we're all deaf ?

Every retailer I know in the UK is aware of this issue now & have had more returns than they care to admit too, mine went back within half an hour of being mounted, I agree the optics are wonderful but for a premium pro grade piece of glass like this that motor is just not good enough, jeez it's not like it even improves the focus speed, my old canon/metabones combo is just as efficient & with due respect to some of the other members posts here, I had no intention of continuously shooting with the lens just to "see and hope" if the noise subsides, for a £1500 lens I expect it to work straight out the box,

My biggest concern here is that Sony obviously sent out a different pre-production copy of this lens for testing/review prior to general release as this issue wasn't picked up on or mentioned by anyone, & to the best of my knowledge they have given no explanation to this current problem,

Photography is my living & I need to trust the manufacturers I choose to invest in, I can't help but feel that trust has been slightly eroded, I for one would have have a lot more respect for Sony if they just admitted they'd dropped the ball with this lens & were doing all they can to correct the problem.