Workflow

Hi forum members,

Has anyone experience with both Capture One for Sony and Lightroom? I don't really trust reviews on the web. IMHO they are often commercials [emoji53]. Your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks, nico

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Guest Peter Kelly

I think the problem here is that they both do a very similar job, so those who have built up a lot of experience with one are unlikely to move across to the other, or be the best to make objective criticisms.

My understanding is that Capture One is capable, when used to its best, of giving a better result in certan cases. However any benefit will be slight and may not even be noticable under anything other than pixel-peeping.

For my part, I mainly use Lightroom, but have played around with Capture One from time to time. Because of that balance I find Lightroom easier to work with, but I suspect that is just down to familiarity.

That said, I fear that Lightroom is a little 'bloated' now, but that's understandable as it's a tricky balance for software between being excellent, yet limited, and having lots of tools, but poor to use.

To be honest, if you are coming as a completely new user to either, I don't think there would be a 'wrong' choice. They can both be quite straightforward for one-hit processing, or they can both be fiendishly complex for in-depth work and present a daunting learning curve. The first thing is whether you have a Sony camera, as there is a free version of Capture One available which would allow you to try it.

If I was to offer any advice, it would be to be patient with either as you learn them. Also, as they deal with catalogues, the most important aspect is to appreciate how that works and how best to organise them for you and for computer performance. Very few people have a well organised storage system within their computer and I suspect it is much the same with catalogues. I confess to failings there and, if I knew what I know now I'd have done things slightly differently!

So, don't worry unduly about choosing between these two (they're both pretty good) and do some googling about catalogues as there's lots of help out there to set you on the right path.

From my perspective, it is a fundamental choice of what and how you'd like workflow to be.

LR has a definite panel for asset (file) manager, editing and so on.  Each tab is dedicated action area and compartmentalized.

C1 is more of single workspace with different editing tabs but your assets and editing space coexists so its not compartmentalize.

Based on this basic difference, the workflow will differ and how one thinks about managing assets.

I am a Mac user and a former Apple Aperture user.  As such, I find C1's workflow (not as good as Aperture) much closer to what I was used to.  I tried LR when it was in beta (before Aperture), and again when Aperture was abandoned.  Simply did/do not like the LR workflow - not in beta and not now.  Just my preference and not a reflection on its capabilities.  Both are very good and capable.

My recommendation is, aside from trying both, view some tutorial videos online for file management, basic editing and some of the often used feature that you will use for both. See which you like more and then try the sw.....

Good luck.

i came from aperture and have used both C1 and LR

i find C1 better because the editing is somehow more ergonomic and smooth 

it is easy to destroy my photos in LR because the impact of the tools are so strong

also the workflow is more PC like ...not for Mac user...i never find the right key command´s in LR

but after updating C1 to 9.1 i have no access to my C1 Library anymore...so i do not feel save with C1 and went back to Aperture

but the Tools in C1 as a single workspace are great

only the file manager is not for my liking

as you get as sony user a free version of C1...try it but save your photos somewhere else

Hi 1950n,

I use both.

C1 is my first port of call to get the best out of my raw shots. I shoot raw + jpeg so I have a reference point. I usually get a better result with raw files processed in C1 than the Out Of Camera jpegs (although in my opinion Sony jpegs are pretty good).

If I want a particular look I then take the processed jpeg into LR to apply a preset.

Cheers,

I came from Aperture too and I've been playing around with CaptureOne for a while. I've stayed away from using the Catalog as it seems a little unwieldy for me, so I've been creating sessions for each collection of photos. I know that using catalogs allows easier searches etc. but thats not an issue for the type of photography I do which mostly revolves around sports events.

I just create a new session each time.

........ but after updating C1 to 9.1 i have no access

to my C1 Library anymore...so i do not feel save with

C1 and went back to Aperture

but the Tools in C1 as a single workspace are great

only the file manager is not for my liking as you get

as sony user a free version of C1...try it but save

your photos somewhere else

+1. I find the C1 image editor to my liking, but as to

the filing/organizing of C1, or of LR which I've never

used, or the Canon Image Browser, or ALL that stuff,

I despise it all. Same as I despise Windows Media

Libraries. IOW, I file all my files alike ... music, video,

photos, documents, whatever. They are all just files

and I use the basic filing system of the OS, which do

not try to second guess me about categories etc etc.

.............I despise Windows Media

Libraries. IOW, I file all my files alike ... music, video,

photos, documents, whatever. They are all just files

and I use the basic filing system of the OS, which do

not try to second guess me about categories etc etc.

Clearly, everyone (well, most) has some method to file their own files, unless one relies completely for OS search function to locate files.

The advantage, which is worth mentioning, is that by using DAM, you can tag with different attributes and create smart albums from different locations on the fly.  While its bit more work initially to associate files with your own keywords, ratings, geotag and so on, but its great later on.  For an example, I can easily pull images of a particular event, person, location and/or year that are rated 3 stars or higher on the fly.  As time goes on, its a tremendous help to be able to quickly extract these images from, say 8~10 year ago without having to hunt different folders (even with the best hierarchal filing methods).

Sure, YMMV.  For me its worth the effort to catalogue it up front, and I have a very organized OS filing system on top of that....