Contax G 35-70mm and 28mm on A7r2

EDBR

Like the 16-35mm Sony and Loxia 21mm ( last one is fantastic wide open).

Also like the good old and little Contax G lenses and bought the 35, 45 and the 90mm. Nice when I'm traveling light...

The last one, 90mm, is a stellar performer even wide open, better IQ than my Sony 70-200mmF4. The other two are performing well from f5.6 (for corners). They are sharp wide open in the center.

But did anyone try the Contax G 28mm or the 35-75mm.

I'm in a landscape mode for the moment, so combined with the A7R2 I'm looking for good performance in the corners. Ready to use them at f8 or f11 if needed

Tried the 21mm Contax G but wasn't ok in the corners (smearing at all apertures)

From what I know the Contax G 35-75mm seems not to be a stellar performer but didn't find any test on the A7r2.

Also curious about the Contax G 28mm which seems to be very good...but don't know how it will perform on the A7r2

Since these lenses are very compact I would like them to have around when I would like to minimise my bag.

Thanks for any reply

I have the 28 mm and it is pretty sharp except near the edges where is smears a bit, especially wide open.  It doesn't bother me at all but for other people, it could be a problem. I just bought my A7rII and haven't got an auto focus lens so I am only using the Contax G 28. 45 and 90 (in black).  They work quite well.  The 28 being the least sharp but it is still worth it.  I have no info on the 35 to 75 mm.

Thanks Seanman, think I will give it a try...if I can put my hands on one.

Find it a pity that they don't make more like these lenses nowadays, good and compact.

The new Loxia comes close but are still bigger in weight and size (and price of course).

About the 28mm, the other three are sharper even at f8 or f11 ?

......a pity that they don't make more like these

lenses nowadays, good and compact. ........

By the laws of physics, compact lenses are the

least desirable designs for digital cameras. It's

worse with shorter FLs as well, thus the 90mm

proving to be your best of the bunch.

Also, 90mm is an ideal FL, designwise, for 24x36

format, especially if not of an extreme maximum

aperture. It's no surprise at all for a 90/2.8 or 90/4

to best a 70-210, even tho, for IQ, 70-210 is a very

favorable FL range when you must have a zoom.

Hi again, I just got an adapter for an old kit lens I had from Canon.  I compared it to the 28 Contax G and the beat up old kit lens was better everywhere near the edge and far superior on the corners.  The Contax is only sharp in the centre.  I don't recommend getting this lens for the A7 series cameras.  I use the Metabones adaptor.  A bit stiff but ok.

BTW, I saw a video comparing 3 smart adapters (includes auto focus) and afterwards bought the Fotodiox. I previously had a Metabones and wanted another smart adapter but not for 300 dollars or more. I bought my Fotodiox Pro Canon EF to Nex Auto for $106 and it works great. I haven't been able to tell a difference between it and the Metabones I use to have. It takes about 2 to 3 seconds to focus with the Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, and from what I have read it focuses a little faster with newer Canon lenses like the 16-35mm f/4 L. For Landscapes I find it satisfactory. I use my Sony 35 or 55 prime for kids and pets. Both are fast and sharp even wide open. Hope this helps.

markphoto4u