A6300 and external recorder

Short answer is no.

The A6300 can record up to 29:59 at a time.  Then you need to restart recording. 

This is 100% incorrect. Using an external recorder you are not limited to this record time which is only for internal recording.

Something like the atomos ninja assassin with some external power will record for as long as the hard drive you use permits.

sure I would use the camera with external power source, there is an adapter for that. I know from Canon cameras, they turn off the "live view", and stop the hdmi stream, so you need to touch a key to keep the camera on. Such thing is not needed for A6300?

You should be able to do this provided you have an external power supply. I did this often with my a6000 using a simple battery sized power adaptor available on Amazon. I have not tried this yet with my a6300, but I will in the next few days and report back. I'll likely use my battery sized power adaptor as the USB connection seems a little delicate and easy to pull out. Your recording time should only be limited by your storage space on the external recorder and your power.

And BTW...the camera behaves exactly as it would with a battery installed...nothing is disabled.

• 1 month later...

Newbie here.

I have successfully used the HDMI out on my a6300 with an Atomos Shogun flame but only for relatively short shots.. 

Does anyone know definitively whether the HDMI stream changes (or other functions, e.g. AF kick in differently) if the camera record button is actuated (does the HDMI output differ depending on whether or not the camera is "recording" or in standby) when using an external recorder?

Matt