Worth to wait for A7Riii?

Hi,

my first post here.  Do you know any rumors about Sony A7Riii yet?  I will go FF this year and want a Sony A7Rii, with several of the best new sony and batis lenses.  Will it be better to wait for the next Sony camera upgrade, or just go for it now?  Thankful for any thoughts.

Worth to wait for A7Riii ? Worth it to me.

Emphasis on "worth" !

Now, if I wanted an R-type a7 I'd wait til the

mark-III version was on the shelf for at least

a full year.

Then I'd ignore rumors of a mark-IV version,

and get a deeply discounted mark-II before

the supply dries up.

YMMV. Everyone else's does.

Welcome to here !

Hi,

my first post here.  Do you know any rumors about Sony A7Riii yet?  I will go FF this year and want a Sony A7Rii, with several of the best new sony and batis lenses.  Will it be better to wait for the next Sony camera upgrade, or just go for it now?  Thankful for any thoughts.

The  A7RII is a great camera, I've shot about 10,000 frames and many hours of 4k documentary video on mine. I mostly use the Sony 28-135 f/4 Cinema lens, but also my Canon L lenses with the Metabones IV adapter. It is an excellent hybrid video/still camera and has a superb sensor. The EVF is the best I've ever seen; you often forget you're looking at an EVF. As a still camera it is quite good but overall it is not dramatically superior to (say) a Nikon D810. It does have a totally silent electronic shutter mode, which despite some limitations allows shooting in noise-sensitive venues that would preclude a conventional DSLR.

The electronic shutter mode also allows shooting high-frame-count time lapses without wearing out a mechanical shutter.

It has an eye AF mode that tracks the subject's eye which is really great for weddings and similar events. I don't think any other DSLR has that, probably because they lack sufficient object detection pixels.

That said it has a few key areas that would be nice to improve:

- No quick way to switch in/out of Super35 mode

- Slow writing speed to SD card and inability to review shots while buffer is flushing to card

- Lacks the new AF and "low blackout" enhancements of the A6300

If you are not in a hurry I would suggest waiting for some more rumors on the presumed A7R3. The current camera is perfectly OK but the above three issues really need some improvement.

If you don't need the super high resolution of the A7Rii, my guess is that A7III when it gets released will have a lot of the cool features of the A7RII but with a smaller MP count and probably cheaper price. 

Waiting for the A7RIII will be a long time coming as the A7RII was just released not too long ago.

No one knows how long it will take before Sony brings out updates to the current A7 cameras. The previous versions were updated quite fast, but that might be because they decided to implement the 5 axis stabilization and in the case of the A7R2, added a new sensor. I don't see any reason for them to come out with new updates already, especially when there's no full frame mirrorless alternative on the market and the current cameras are already pretty good.

My bet is that Sony is currently aiming their guns at A-mount while still developing a few E-mount lenses. I'd be surprised if they release an update to any of the current A7 cameras this year (and if they do, that's probably the oldest - A7II)

Thank you all for your excellent thoughts and suggestions on this topic!  Different strategies, either waiting for A7Rii to drop in price a good year after the eventual A7Riii, go for the A7Rii or wait for Sony's next upgrade which will likely be the A7iii.   Price is an issue, I agree, since less money spent on a camera body means more money for good lenses.  I still want that 5-axis stabilization though.

Sorry to say, but this is not a technical question. Using digital cameras for 15 years, I am always waiting for the next generation, since we always find improvements to be made. I have followed all the steps from Sony since the A900 and do not regret. I guess if some day in the future we can relax and enjoy just what is available at that moment.

If I were to wait for my dream camera, I would be still using my first D100 at 6MP! Or else, I would be sitting in my room moaning about what cameras cannot do!

The questions are, do you feel that the quality of your photos need an improvement, so that you must climb the steps to full frame, 42MP? And are you an active photographer or can you wait for months or years until your next work, trip or shots?

The obvious answer is: get what is available and enjoy it, using it as much as you can. NOW!

Now, for a more practical answer: I have two A99 bodies two A6000 and one A7R2. My approach is to use primes and be ready for any situation for landscape and outdoor images. I try to minimize the need to change lenses in the field. So, I usually get out with a backpack with 3 or 4 bodies fit with the lenses that I may anticipate that I will need, and maybe 2 or 3 spare lenses. Since I got the A7RII I have a problem: image quality is so much better, so that now my problem is that I should buy at least two more bodies. I also prefer the new native lenses for the quick focusing action. They are also lighter and the new GM 24-70 promises that I can carry it instead of 4 lenses (that I want to check myself). That means, I have a new target to recycle all the great A mount lenses (with no internal motor) and get the new generation FE lenses. That I will do step by step. Luckily, my backpack will get lighter.

Now, answer: are you ready to face this challenge?

I don't think 24mp will cut it against the likes of Pentax K-1. Whatever is in the a6300, scaled to FF, who knows, perhaps the competition will see Sony implment some usability improvements? But I guess Sony "saves" that for an A9 camera.

IMO, so long that Sony can push an A7R2 into the market for close to 4k ... nothing much will change!

Sorry to say, but this is not a technical question. Using digital cameras for 15 years, I am always waiting for the next generation, since we always find improvements to be made. I have followed all the steps from Sony since the A900 and do not regret. I guess if some day in the future we can relax and enjoy just what is available at that moment.

If I were to wait for my dream camera, I would be still using my first D100 at 6MP! Or else, I would be sitting in my room moaning about what cameras cannot do!

The questions are, do you feel that the quality of your photos need an improvement, so that you must climb the steps to full frame, 42MP? And are you an active photographer or can you wait for months or years until your next work, trip or shots?

The obvious answer is: get what is available and enjoy it, using it as much as you can. NOW!

Now, for a more practical answer: I have two A99 bodies two A6000 and one A7R2. My approach is to use primes and be ready for any situation for landscape and outdoor images. I try to minimize the need to change lenses in the field. So, I usually get out with a backpack with 3 or 4 bodies fit with the lenses that I may anticipate that I will need, and maybe 2 or 3 spare lenses. Since I got the A7RII I have a problem: image quality is so much better, so that now my problem is that I should buy at least two more bodies. I also prefer the new native lenses for the quick focusing action. They are also lighter and the new GM 24-70 promises that I can carry it instead of 4 lenses (that I want to check myself). That means, I have a new target to recycle all the great A mount lenses (with no internal motor) and get the new generation FE lenses. That I will do step by step. Luckily, my backpack will get lighter.

Now, answer: are you ready to face this challenge?

Thank you for your well-founded opinion!  Yes, I agree with you and others here that I may not have time to wait too long before I upgrade.  I now have a Canon 70D.  I mostly shoot nature panoramas, and some family events.  I have been happy with the Sigma 18-35 Art lens, but being a zoom it is a bit heavy for long hikes.  I live in a part of the world with beautiful landscapes and have been able to take some nice pictures.  Now I really want a FF camera for better IQ, faster apertures, more bokeh...

What my heart wants is the A7RII with 1) Batis 25 mm for landscapes and lightweight hiking and 2) Sony G Master 24-70 for events and landscapes where weight can be carried.  In the future I also consider the G Master 85mm for portraits/low light conditions and the 70-200mm with 2X adapter...

The good thing about big investments in lenses is that when the next generation must-have camera bodies appear these expensive FE-lenses can still be used for many years to come?

The good thing about the big investments in lenses are that when the next generation must-have camera bodies appear the FE-lenses can still be used?

The problem with FE lenses is that you are limited to FE mount cameras!

I like very much the Pentax K-1, its MP, its ergonomics, its weather sealing ... its price! But my Batis will not fit     :blink:     However, if a Zeiss Milvus or Otus with Nikon can be mounted to the K-1, as it can the A7, then that lens is much more interesting for a BIG "investment" IMO.

Still, I welcome the next A7, even if its not more me, the Loxia and Batis lenses work fine no matter what, so who can complain    :wub:

I wouldn't wait. The A7R2 is a great camera. While you are waiting you are not taking excellent photographs. Now that the G Master lenses are out, there will be good deals on used Sony Zeiss 24-70 and 70-200 f4 lenses which have served me well. The prime lens selection is getting to be great and simply needs to get wider and longer. the Zeiss Batis will be available in 18mm f2.8 soon and I imagine a 135mm lens is less than a year out. For wildlife, the adapted Sony A-Mount 70-400mm lens works well.

• 2 weeks later...

I chose to go ahead and buy the a7RII. it is a feature rich, incredible camera. The pixel count gives great latitude for cropping. why wait?

How about the AF performance?  While good at the A7Rii It is better on the new A6300, with more focus points and faster AF.  But I agree with your point, probably the waiting will be too long and I need an upgrade this year.

There is a sort of murphy's law out there, as soon as you purchase the flagship model, a new updated version follows almost before the unit is unpacked.  The A7r II is an amazing camera.  I'd quit waiting and start taking pictures.

I will follow this advice, as also several others here say the same.  I have now ordered the A7Rii - and really look forward to photograph landscapes (often in the blue hours) with more color, dynamic range and resolution.  The Batis 25mm will be my main hiking lens.  For family events etc. I will use G Master 24-70mm.

I honestly wouldn't wait for a Sony product anymore .. I waited for the A7ii and bought one... Amazing camera .. but a lot faulty ..

I guess its the all new technologies that they keep stuffing in their new cameras..

Mine is now having a shutter curtain jam problem and im wasting a shit load of time calling their customer service [which SUCKS] and calling the warranty provider..

I loved that camera.. i really am disappointed 

I too made the transition from Canon 70D to A7 Mk II.  I loved the Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II lens on the 70D.  But even with the Metabones IV, I found the auto focus to be very slow.  That changed with the most recent firmware for the A7 II and Metabones IV.  Unfortunately I had already sold the Canon 24-70.  I did keep my Canon 70-200 f4 L IS and I am glad I did.  With the new firmware the focus is as fast as the 70D.  I also have the Sigma 24 Art.  It too has fast focus.

Ultimately I have decided to sell all Canon lenses (except the 70 to 200) and Sigma Art lens.  I bought both Batis lenses and love them.  One key aspect of all Zeiss and Sony lenses is the special features of native lenses like eye focus and face recognition.  You don't get these features with non-native lenses.  I have a grand baby that move fast.  I need those features.  With the firmware updates you do get AF-C (continuous focus) and phase detection.  This is still helpful but it is not face detection.

The problem with FE lenses is that you

are limited to FE mount cameras!

I like very much the Pentax K-1, its MP,

its ergonomics, its weather sealing ...

its price! But my Batis will not fit     :blink:     

However, if a Zeiss Milvus or Otus with

Nikon can be mounted to the K-1, as it

can the A7, then that lens is much more

interesting for a BIG "investment" IMO.

Still, I welcome the next A7, even if its

not more me, the Loxia and Batis lenses

work fine no matter what, so who can

complain    :wub:

The A7 series is lens-mount-adaptable cuz

it's a non-SLR. A K-1 OTOH is an SLR. As

you do, I admire the value-pricing and the

specs of the K-1, but I am done with SLRs.

SLRs were an amazing advance when I was

a kid, but dry plates were an huge advance

when grandpa was a kid, etc etc.

The A7 mk3 will do for me. A clean/fast/mature 24mp sensor ,deluxe evf ,evolved af,and silent shooting--- I'm in.

I would urgently prefer a version like this: A7RMIIs. („s” for sine) A body without any Video-Functions, but instead more direct buttons on the left shoulder

and additional an 2,0/135 Apo Sonnar made bei CZ oder Sony labeled CZ. What do you think about this folks? Thank you for your replies.

In today's world, waiting (unless you have definite info something is coming) is pointless. I waited for a Canon 5dIV. I just decided to jump ship to Sony and it was the best decision, equipment wise, I have ever made. I'm now moving from my L lenses (except for T/S) to G or Zeiss lenses. Plus I have really enjoyed using my old Minolta lenses on a digital camera. 

I have now got the A7RM2 with Gmaster F2.8 24-70mm and Batis F2 25 mm lenses and I am blown away.  I love the IBIS to shoot handheld, but it really shines on a sturdy tripod for landscapes/villages at dusk.  Never seen such sharpness and color rendering and generally good natural feel to the images.  It is also nice to have the apps built-in, such as timelapse.  I have to experiment more though, but it seems to work well for shooting from a tripod e.g. once a minute for say 2-3 hours, i Aperture mode, F7.1, ISO 100 for capturing the best lighting at dusk and dawn. 

I would urgently prefer a version like this: A7RMIIs. („s” for sine) A body without any Video-Functions, but instead more direct buttons on the left shoulder

and additional an 2,0/135 Apo Sonnar made bei CZ oder Sony labeled CZ. What do you think about this folks? Thank you for your replies.

On the 1st of April an upgrade of the a7RMkII with a name not unlike your suggestion, namely a Sony a7RS, appeared on the web.  http://bokeh.digitalrev.com/article/sony-a7rs-specs-leaked 

It was not until the last line of the specs that I realized this was an april fools day joke...

(if the above link does not work, try to google "A7RS")

In today's world, waiting (unless you have definite info something is coming) is pointless. I waited for a Canon 5dIV. I just decided to jump ship to Sony and it was the best decision, equipment wise, I have ever made. I'm now moving from my L lenses (except for T/S) to G or Zeiss lenses. Plus I have really enjoyed using my old Minolta lenses on a digital camera. 

I made both a switch and an upgrade, from Canon 70D crop cam to the a7RMII FF, which is easier.  Now will have to decide whether to keep my old camera as a B camera.  Would be interesting to compare shots head to head to see the level of real improvement in IQ.