Issue with A7rii or Lee filters

I hope someone can help me out here. I am a landscape photographer and have used Sony cameras for about 7 years and Lee filters for 2-3 years.

Gear used was A7rii, A-mount CZ16-35mm via LA-EA3 and Lee grad filters.

Just received my new A7rii and got out this morning for it's first outing, although not to my planned location as i read the tide times wrongly. I noticed some white(ish) lines in a semi circle at the bottom of my image when i reviewed it on the back of the camera. Initially i thought this was somehow the writing on the front of the lens reflecting off the filters and showing up in the image. I covered the white writing up with some black tape but to no avail as it is still visible. Once i got home i tried to recreate the issue and it shows up in nearly all shots with the filters attached but it is not an issue i have ever encountered before with any of my other cameras. There does not need to be direct light on the filters for this to happen.

Is there a fault with my camera/ sensor, Is it to do with my lens of is it simply down to the filters.

On testing my A7ii i managed to get it to also show but it required much more pixel peeping as it was nowhere as visible.

I'm not really in to bracketing for blending or HDR as i like my workflow out in the field and it's the reason i use filters.

some examples of the issue below.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I looks like the filters are at fault but any help or input would be most appreciated. I really don't want to stop using the filters or change the way i work.

Are these with large or small aperture. Just curious.

Aside from checking the Lee home page for hints, where there are many, I would suggest to black felt tape over the writing on the lens (the stuff they use on the inside of lenses sometimes)  ... or get a wax pen and write over the lettering.

They were at F11.

I tried covering up the writing on the lens but that made no difference whatsoever. Thanks anyway, i think i will try Lee to see if they have any answers or if a similar problem has been reported.

hmmm, perhaps its not writing. Do you have a UV filter you can put between the lens and the Lee adapter, preferably one with a non-reflective coating.

Could it be some kind of flare, if you turn the camera upside down, does the "writing" move to the top, or stay at the bottom?

Or it could be a reflection from the aperture blades, try wide open.

Sorry I can't help more, I've had similar problems and it took some trial and error to figure out where the reflections were coming from.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say these are reflections of the markings on the lens, I had the same issue with the Fuji 10-24 lens and lee filters I used a sharpie black pen to fill them in or you could perhaps use some black tape

the problem seems to be caused by the particular angle on the front of the lens.

Maybe it's the adapter? I've been out last weekend with Lee grad and big stopper on a 16-35 E mount attached to a a7rm2. No issues at all, mainly used f11 to f16.

Thanks, I have got nowhere with either Wex or Lee filters apart from them telling me it's a reflection which i can clearly see. I have spent most of my time with the new camera testing various different things to overcome the issue. I have reduced it somewhat but after managing to find a few guys on social media also using the a7rii with the FE 16-35mm and Lee filters and having no problems i have traded my A-mount 16-35mm in for the FE version. Didn't really want to be spending more money but it seems to be my best option.

Fingers crossed the adapter was the problem and i can get out and enjoy my new camera.

Good to hear you are another having no issues using this setup. Should be with me early next week.

Guest Peter Kelly

If you want to get to the bottom of this you will need to be methodical.

First, try taking the same shot, with the same settings, using just the camera first, then with the adapter mounted but no filter, then with the filter in place.

Clearly, any that show the effect will indicate at least part of the issue.

Then you could repeat with different lenses and different settings, if you still aren't sure what is being reflected.

When you do find a situation that guarantees the fault, then try inserting black paper, or something similar, into specific area to narrow down the direction of the reflection.

Personally, I have to suspect the filters are reflecting something and it may simply down to the relative distances compared to your previous cameras but, unfortunately, if that is the case I doubt there's much you can do to stop it.

Thanks Peter. I have spent the past 2 weeks doing such and the reflection is apparent with the filters in place but not without them. It is not visible at longer focal lengths and i think it is partly down to the relative distance the front element is from the sensor using the adapter and the wide angle which can be more susceptible to flare or reflections. Possibly lens coatings etc are different on the newer lenses or the mirror in the A99 helped reduce it?

I resorted to a piece of black foam around the front of the lens and i managed to reduce it somewhat but not entirely. Had been trying to get some Flocking paper but can't find anywhere nearby stocking it so it may have to be ordered from USA.

I have ordered the FE 16-35mm to see if that performs better.

Thanks Peter. I have spent the past 2 weeks doing such and the reflection is apparent with the filters in place but not without them. It is not visible at longer focal lengths and i think it is partly down to the relative distance the front element is from the sensor using the adapter and the wide angle which can be more susceptible to flare or reflections. Possibly lens coatings etc are different on the newer lenses or the mirror in the A99 helped reduce it?

I resorted to a piece of black foam around the front of the lens and i managed to reduce it somewhat but not entirely. Had been trying to get some Flocking paper but can't find anywhere nearby stocking it so it may have to be ordered from USA.

I have ordered the FE 16-35mm to see if that performs better.

Are the Lee filter(s) multi-coated (to greatly reduce reflections)?

Are the Lee filter(s) multi-coated (to greatly reduce reflections)?

That i have no idea but they have never caused me any problems up until trying them on my new a7rii with a lens i have also used for years with no problems. Which points to camera or adapter and my conclusion is the adapter is the cause somehow.

Had a Look on Lee filters website but couldn't find anything about coatings.

Guest Peter Kelly

To me the big question is not 'IF the filters are reflecting?', rather 'WHAT are the filters reflecting?'.

From your samples (certainly the last of them) the ghost image appears to be lettering, just as seen on the front of the lens.

The curious aspect is that you say you have tried covering it and it made no difference at all, which leaves me baffled!

I could envisage how there could still be reflections of those letters even at very shallow angles if they were still white, but if you have painted them completely black, or covered them with tape, then it's a mystery to me, with one really long shot!

I went back through your posts and see that you are using the adapter. This, in itself, will not be an issue, but it does mean that the overall length of your wide angle is unusually long.

Again, not something that should cause anything at all, except in this one, very curious possibility...

Might I suggest that you cover up the orange ring, with its lettering, that decorates the mount next to the A7 body? Even just temporarily with a piece of black tape.

This is the only source of lettering that I can see and, possibly, it may cause some internal reflection. I don't think the angles are right, but other than the lettering on the front of the lens, it's the only thing I can think of!

• 1 month later...

Are you able to see this in the viewfinder? Have you tried to reproduce this in video.  Might help if you are able to see the reflection and try and reduce it live to pin point its origin.  Remember things are reversed inside your lens, so it only appears on the bottom, the reflection may be happening from above.

Thanks Kevin, yes it can be seen through the viewfinder and if i move the lee filters closer or further from the front element you can see it's position/ reflection moving also as if it is zooming in and out and getting less visible the closer it is to the front element and more visible as it moves away.

I purchased the FE 16-35mm to see if it remedied the issue but it was exactly the same so nothing to do with the adapter or A-mount lens.

The camera has been sent back as i was offered a replacement. Fingers crossed the new one doesn't do the same.