From Nikon D700 to Sony A7ii

Been a Nikonian since early 90s, taking 10s of thousands of 35mm images. Went digital quite late in the day with a Canon S45 P&S. The D300 was my first DSLR. Next came the D700. I've got plenty of P&S and Fuji XE1. I noticed the Nikon wasn't taken out much, unless I was driving. I made the decision to move away from Nikon, although I had considered a D750 for a while. Also considered Olympus E-M1/5ii, which have brilliant lenses and great form factor. The main reason for moving away from Nikon was weight. The 70-200 f2.8 + D700 weighed 2.5Kg, my backpack was over 6Kg and with kids and sundries, it all got a bit much. 

So a Sony A7ii has replaced my D700. Not 100% sure yet, as I don't have any lenses that I can use yet. By all reports the 24-70 f4 isn't too impressive and the 28-70 is kit zoom territory. If it was as good as the XE1 18-55 f2.8-4, I'll be all over it.

I've ordered some adaptors so that I can use some of my Nikon lenses before they get sold. Also have an Minolta 28mm f2.5 which has a good rep. Looking at Zeiss CY lenses. Sony ones are way too expensive for what they offer at the moment. The Sony 55mm f1.8 comes in at over 800USD in the UK.

Been a Nikonian since early 90s, taking 10s of thousands of 35mm images. Went digital quite late in the day with a Canon S45 P&S. The D300 was my first DSLR. Next came the D700. I've got plenty of P&S and Fuji XE1. I noticed the Nikon wasn't taken out much, unless I was driving. I made the decision to move away from Nikon, although I had considered a D750 for a while. Also considered Olympus E-M1/5ii, which have brilliant lenses and great form factor. The main reason for moving away from Nikon was weight. The 70-200 f2.8 + D700 weighed 2.5Kg, my backpack was over 6Kg and with kids and sundries, it all got a bit much. 

So a Sony A7ii has replaced my D700. Not 100% sure yet, as I don't have any lenses that I can use yet. By all reports the 24-70 f4 isn't too impressive and the 28-70 is kit zoom territory. If it was as good as the XE1 18-55 f2.8-4, I'll be all over it.

I've ordered some adaptors so that I can use some of my Nikon lenses before they get sold. Also have an Minolta 28mm f2.5 which has a good rep. Looking at Zeiss CY lenses. Sony ones are way too expensive for what they offer at the moment. The Sony 55mm f1.8 comes in at over 800USD in the UK.

Yes, they are high end only. If you are interested in non high end, you should reconsider Sony E-mount it's not for you. I would staty with Nikon in that case, and go for Sigma or Tamron lenses.

• 1 month later...