movie button on Sony A7s mkii

Aha, thanks for the suggestions.

With the Cineasy touch button, I assume this means losing the strap. I have a nice detachable strap I find very useful when on shoots. So it's a toss-up between strap or button?

I'm still very unfamiliar with my A7s, but I'm liking using the C button nearest the 'prism' as my focus enlargement. I don't have the camera with me so I can't remember which one is c1.

I appreciate your answers, thanks.

Interesting that you didn't chose to go the magic lantern route and use the 5diii for video too... must have been tempting?

Snowfun, yes of course it was very tempting! But I read so many glowing reviews of the A7s mk11, especially 4k and low-light excellence, that I went for that. I also read a lot of moaning about the workflow with Magic Lantern.

What attracted me to the A7s mkii was it's qualities as a discreet and self-contained run-and-gun, with onboard 4k and a love of moonlight.

Right now I'm beginning to regret that decision as my footage looks ugly (nasty colouring and 'digital' contrast, a lot of noise) before grading, and I haven't found the right LUT yet. Still, I haven't given up on the A7s mkii as I know I have an enormous amount to discover.

I've set the A7s to lowest detail and contrast, and low saturation.

Thanks for your input, v helpful.

Right now I'm beginning to regret that decision as my footage looks ugly (nasty colouring and 'digital' contrast, a lot of noise) before grading, and I haven't found the right LUT yet. Still, I haven't given up on the A7s mkii as I know I have an enormous amount to discover.

I found the same moving from Canon as well, however I am finally getting nice video results. Try using more saturation and white balance slightly warmer than on the Canon (e.g. 6100 instead of 5800). Picture Profile off with Standard Creative style set to -3,1,-3 is a good starting point.

I also found that the Cine Gammas work better with ITU709 Matrix Color Mode.

I love the stills that I get from the A7s - I can crop all the way to 100% and still have usable images, which makes up somewhat for the 12 megapixels.

You probably already know this but, if not, check out Philip Bloom's extensive review & set-up guide (A7S).

LUTs - I don't know what software you're using but I find with slog2 (A7S) in FCP you can adjust things directly and/or use red giant magic bullet. No need for a LUT. As an 8 bit file, yes, you are limited (it can look hideous next to my Blackmagic stuff) but it should (and can) look far better than your description!

Neat Video works well if required for noise.

I found the same moving from Canon as well, however I am finally getting nice video results. Try using more saturation and white balance slightly warmer than on the Canon (e.g. 6100 instead of 5800). Picture Profile off with Standard Creative style set to -3,1,-3 is a good starting point.

I also found that the Cine Gammas work better with ITU709 Matrix Color Mode.

I love the stills that I get from the A7s - I can crop all the way to 100% and still have usable images, which makes up somewhat for the 12 megapixels.

Thanks, I'll try that. Sound like Good suggestions,