A7RII Battery Grip, which one?

Dear friends,

I was about to purchase the Sony VG-C2EM battery grip in Amazon when I saw horrified the price tag on it; more or less 4 times more than an aftermarket such as Meike; if it at lkeast came with the two extra batteries then I would re-think it again. The Meike even comes with a remote control...

I looked through this forum and to my surprise after searching till the 15th page, I just couldn't find any comments regarding battery grips, so I decided to write this post.

Can someone give me any ideas or experiences about both the original VG-C2EM and aftermarket options?

Thanks and best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Guest Peter Kelly

There is no doubt that the Sony grip is better, both for materials and in use. However, there are some things where the Meike has the edge, so the price differential is ridiculous.

As regards details, the Sony is made of the same metal as the body, whereas the Meike is plastic. Curiously, it's not really an issue in terms of strength, the Meike still feels good and is actually lighter!

The controls are better on the Sony, with a consistent feel, but the Meike are certainly acceptable; only time will tell if they last as well (but will they wear out in a quarter of the time?).

The batteries swap easier in the Sony, both sliding in, whereas the Meike has one slide and one curious tilt and drop, but I prefer the Meike latch.

The biggest areas of concern for the Meike, however, relate to battery drain and reliability of contacts.

I have found that my batteries drain slowly if left in the Meike grip, even if it's turned off. I've found this to be the case with all the Meike grips I've owned, but others say it hasn't been a problem for them.

The other thing is some strange behaviour of the dials, which I believe is caused by the internal connections not being perfect. The values can change randomly, whether using the dial or not.

This can be circumvented by leaving the grip off, as it still provides the extra battery power.

Obviously, this latter issue is a cause for concern, but I haven't determined whether it is a fault, a manufacturing tolerance issue, or simply that the contacts on my Sony are new and maybe need cleaning of any protective film.

Personally, I think the Meike are so cheap that, even with their possible issues, they are well worth trying. The remote works well and you do get the extra power.

If you find you have a serious problem that you can't live with then that would likely qualify as a fault and you could get a refund.

I had both Sony and Meike with various Mk1 A7 bodies, but only Meike with my A7Rii bodies and I'm happy with them, even just using for the extended use and doubt I'll swap for the Sony.

Guest Colin Scott Johnson

The Sony ones are on offer now and again.

I purchased a second A7r II body in December and as part of the promotion was able to get a Sony grip for $150 and a spare battery and the good charger for $6.99.

Kinda balanced it out after paying full price for my other one.

I'm on my second Meike grip (the first having been stolen along with the A7r it was attached to) and have had no problems with either. I also have two A7rii bodies that I use with one of the newer Meike grips and it behaves perfectly on either body. I do not have any battery drain problems. I had originally purchased the Sony grip which is superior in quality but does not have the remote control.

Because of the wireless remote on the Meike it is the hands down winner. I am really surprised Sony has not offered something similar. If they did I would pay the extra bucks for the Sony.

There is no doubt that the Sony grip is better, both for materials and in use. However, there are some things where the Meike has the edge, so the price differential is ridiculous.

As regards details, the Sony is made of the same metal as the body, whereas the Meike is plastic. Curiously, it's not really an issue in terms of strength, the Meike still feels good and is actually lighter!

The controls are better on the Sony, with a consistent feel, but the Meike are certainly acceptable; only time will tell if they last as well (but will they wear out in a quarter of the time?).

The batteries swap easier in the Sony, both sliding in, whereas the Meike has one slide and one curious tilt and drop, but I prefer the Meike latch.

The biggest areas of concern for the Meike, however, relate to battery drain and reliability of contacts.

I have found that my batteries drain slowly if left in the Meike grip, even if it's turned off. I've found this to be the case with all the Meike grips I've owned, but others say it hasn't been a problem for them.

The other thing is some strange behaviour of the dials, which I believe is caused by the internal connections not being perfect. The values can change randomly, whether using the dial or not.

This can be circumvented by leaving the grip off, as it still provides the extra battery power.

Obviously, this latter issue is a cause for concern, but I haven't determined whether it is a fault, a manufacturing tolerance issue, or simply that the contacts on my Sony are new and maybe need cleaning of any protective film.

Personally, I think the Meike are so cheap that, even with their possible issues, they are well worth trying. The remote works well and you do get the extra power.

If you find you have a serious problem that you can't live with then that would likely qualify as a fault and you could get a refund.

I had both Sony and Meike with various Mk1 A7 bodies, but only Meike with my A7Rii bodies and I'm happy with them, even just using for the extended use and doubt I'll swap for the Sony.

"The values can change randomly" Yes, this is true. I had one and all of the sudden it would change the aperture from 1.8 to 2.8 while the camera is sitting on my desk like it was possessed . I sent it back. I have tried to order several since, but it seems that all of japan and China are out of them.

Guest Peter Kelly

"The values can change randomly" Yes, this is true. I had one and all of the sudden it would change the aperture from 1.8 to 2.8 while the camera is sitting on my desk like it was possessed . I sent it back. I have tried to order several since, but it seems that all of japan and China are out of them.

I think it is the way the contacts move within the grip that is at the root of the problem. As you slide the grip in there is a plastic lug that is pushed to move the pins against the contacts inside the body.

I presume it's designed that way to prevent damage and wear as you put it on and take it off.

It seems likely that the lever is not being moved enough and leaving a poor contact, but I'm not sure how this might be corrected.

Probably down to slightly lower quality manufacturing and leaving some out of tolerance.

I bought the Sony because I wasn't sure of the quality of a third party grip. I find there is one annoying thing about the Sony though: If I leave it switched on and am shooting horizontally, or just holding the camera with my right hand while looking at the display, just the grip of my hand will depress the shutter button on the grip. I wish it was recessed a little. With my Canon 5d I could leave the grip on all the time and it was never an issue. I know I know... the manual says to turn it off if you are shooting horizontal. This becomes quite disruptive when doing combined H & V shooting. Wishing I had tried the Meike first!

I have been using the Vello battery-grip for my A7RII for over a month now with out issue. Feels good in the hand, and the L-Bracket from ProMedia Gear also fits so that was a bonus for me. I am a wilderness photoghraper, and have used it anywhere from rainy weather, to -20C and have not had a problem. Much more cost effective than the Sony grip for sure. 

This thread confirms my suspiscion that the Meike grip while massively cheaper is not as quality controlled as the Sony. I was doing a shoot for a friend the other day and the controls just seemed to stop working. I thought it was user error at first but the problem continued and this thread confirms my experience.

But it is so much cheaper, that as suggested above, it's probably worth giving it a go before you splurge on the Sony version.

Guest Peter Kelly

I find there is one annoying thing about the Sony.... just the grip of my hand will depress the shutter button on the grip. I wish it was recessed a little.

That was exactly my experience too! It's another area where the Meike is actually better.

Perhaps the oddest aspect is that Sony have experience with the Mk1 version, so you would have thought they'd have remodelled it, as I can't believe we're the only two people who have experienced this annoyance!

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all for this extensive reply and sorry for my delay in replying; I had an operation abroad and no internet available.

In the end I took both, and the Meike basically for its remote, but been so happly with the Sony, that I have not even tried it! 

About the Sony and the grip push button, I find that switching it off does the trick (I have inadvertently pushed the button more than once..)

Thanks again,

Spanish Flyer