Which creative style on A7 II

Kami_sn

This probably is a very broad question, I typically have my camera set on standard creative style (dynamic ranging) setting and was not paying attention to it until saw some test you tubes and some great still shots on the forums.

That question is how often do you change your creative style selection? Do you adjust it depend on the scene? Or you basically ignore the settings. I understand there are certain setting like "neutral" that is more suitable for post processing which then needs set of eyes that are familiar with color shades. I have to admit I am struggling to train my eyes to distinguish colors and that is my weakest area in post processing (at least I think that's one of the weakest among others).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

these creative styles only have any real impact on jpeg's. that's my understanding. if you are shooting in RAW, then it doesn't matter. so if you are the type that demands having jpegs out of camera for whatever reason, then you will need to learn to wrangle the creative styles. otherwise, totally pointless

so I only use it if it's a picture that is intended for Instagram. if I am only going to send it to my phone, then I will use the neutral with contrast all the way down, sharpness all the way down and saturation down 1 point. this helps me get favorable results when editing jpegs on my iPhone. otherwise, raw will let you you change all these in a computer until the cows come home

I only shoot RAW, but reading the manual it doesn't say anything regarding not being able to use this feature with raw unlike "picture format" feature which specifically mentioned that is not available with RAW.

The exact wording from instructions manual:

"Neutral:

The Saturation and sharpness lowered for shooting images in subdued tones. This is also suitable for capturing image material to be modified with a computer"

I am wondering why someone would want to edit JPEG format.

I think you guys already know this but this little utility extracts embedded jpeg from raw files (Instant JPEG from Raw).

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw.html

Its super fast and suitable for quick previews and website posts (probably still require little adjustments and resizing).

In the case of a7rii, the embedded jpeg is 1616x1080.  

Once you get the raw files onto the computer, just run the utility and it does it all at once.

I shoot raw and have mine set to Neutral. Here is a link http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1450/v1/en/contents/TP0000301878.html?search=creative%20style to the Sony Help Guide that may clarify the settings for you.

Runnerpsu, do you also play with colors in LR with neutral RAWs or mainly work on basic settings like shadows, highlights, contrast...?

As I said I kind of relying on colors coming out of camera at this point until get more comfortable messing with the colors in time while my eyes get more familiar with color shades and their effect on each other.

Runnerpsu, do you also play with colors in LR with neutral RAWs or mainly work on basic settings like shadows, highlights, contrast...?

As I said I kind of relying on colors coming out of camera at this point until get more comfortable messing with the colors in time while my eyes get more familiar with color shades and their effect on each other.

Yes, I do "attempt" to manipulate colors, hues, contrast, shadows, highlights etc in LR.  I'm not that skilled so my results are not equal to what I've seen on other sites posted by pro's.

I ran a quick check. With the camera set to

record Raw-only, you can still engage the

Creative Style controls, including altering

the parameters within each style.

Sony's usual approach with feature that are

Jpeg-only should not allow you to set or to

alter Creative Style settings when the camera

is set for Raw-only recording.

It's entirely possible that the CS setting DO

affect the Raw files. Raw files are usually

spoken of as being the simply raw data that

the sensor produced. As a simple explanation

that works, but things are not THAT simple. A

Raw file is RECORDED data ... and any and all

recording regimens perform some "contouring"

of the data they record. Selecting a Creative

Style may very well control the nature of the

"contouring" that occurs during recording.

I did shoot a few different Creative Styles

in Raw-only. The reference-only in-camera

Jpgs differ according to the chosen CS [all

of identical scene, everything set manually].

I admit this is not conclusive. I have not

had time to open/process the Raw files yet.

But I strongly suspec\ct that they will all

differ according to the different CS in use.