The A99mk2 will not be released before June 2016

delewin

There is nothing stopping Sony from wrapping an E mount in an "A mount" body.

Since you can't adapt E mount lenses to A mount, and Sony is clearly only really trying to make E mount lenses, one can to assume that and E mount in "A mount" body is a more likely outcome.

Once again the trouble is that E mount is only compact for use as an amateur enthusiast's walkabout kit with a pancake lens. The moment you move on to anything remotely professional, it rapidly loses all size advantage, an advantage largely gained from having batteries that are too small to last for professional all-day shoots anyway. If you do a shoot on location and pack several fast lenses for it, then each of those lenses you pack ends up bigger and bulkier than their A mount equivalents. It all adds up. 

Worse still, the only reason there hasn't been a real blow out in the size of FE mount lenses is because the FE mount is a crippled APS-C non-IBIS mount forced to do overtime as a FF IBIS mount. That means lenses are very hard to design for it. As the Sigma CEO stated: "the diameter is very small and makes it difficult to design high quality FF lenses ... it almost looks like E-mount was designed for APS-C more than FF".

This can only mean that to bring FE lens performance on par with rivals you have to spend more time in R&D as well as put in extra quality elements. That's why the new 70-200mm f/2.8 GM has several aspherical elements in it, and why third parties don't think it is worth the effort. Who pays for the extra R&D costs? You do. Who pays for those extra elements? Again, you do. The danger is that the extra costs may not result in the lens being much better than its rivals, because all it does is overcome the handicap inherent to a crippled lens mount. Plus it has no size advantage overall, and when carrying several lenses results in a significant size disadvantage.

That means that E mount really only retains its place as something for casual walkabout photography. But I guess I am expected to shut up and put up—then always hire assistants during shoots to carry all of the bulky equipment. And all for what? So that I can enjoy the novelty of FF mirrorless as an end to itself, even though that novelty only brings an overall size disadvantage, its frame rate is slower than a DSLT, its low light focussing is inferior, and its tracking ability is inferior. 

Actually mirror-less A mount does make sense. The flange distance would be kept ...

But the flange distance IS the problem!

You cannot build small Cameras around it; no problem with modern, flexible E-Mount Kameras.

Sony (and the others) can build big bodies with E-Mount too, if there should a market.

Not to talk about adapting lenses you like (i.e. Leica M)

Long flange distances can't be the future.

I am afraid I'm going to disappoint those who want me to stop revealing inconvenient truths.

Here is the latest inconvenience:

LeicaSL_50mmf1.4Summicron_zpsrg5xxytw.jp

From: http://camerasize.com/compact/#639.497,624.512,596.354,ha,t

It shows the full frame mirrorless Leica SL with the 50mm f/1.4 Summicron, the Sony a7RII with the 90mm f/2.8 macro G, and the Canon 5DsR with the 50mm f/1.2 lens. I had to double check a couple of times to convince myself that the Leica 50mm Summicron really was that big and that no mistake had been made with lens choice.

The Leica SL full frame mirrorless mount diameter is wider than that of the FE mount (51mm vs. 46.1mm). This shows why Sony used an APS-C mount on their FF mirrorless model, because if you use a dedicated FF mount with dimensions more typical of a full frame mount like those of the Leica SL mount, it causes an even more massive blowout in the lens size! Now we understand the basis for the Sigma CEOs puzzlement when he said that "...the diameter [of the FE mount ] is very small and makes it difficult to design high quality FF lenses ... it almost looks like E-mount was designed for APS-C more than FF". Sony simply had to put an APS-C lens onto a full frame body, because otherwise a 50mm f/1.4 lens would have ended up the same size as a 90mm f/2.8 macro lens:

LeicaSL_50mmf1.4_vsSony_Canon_zpsuv0guxp

From: http://camerasize.com/compact/#639.497,624.395,596.538,ha,t

Here the Leica SL is shown with the 50mm f/1.4 Summicron, the Sony a7RII with the Zeiss 55mm f/1.8, and the Canon 5DSR with the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 lens.

LeicaSL_50mmf1.4_vsSony_Canon_zpsuv0guxp

Yet even after putting an APS-C mount onto a full frame body, Sony still haven't reigned in the blow out in lens size on professional fast lenses as this comparison of 85mm f/1.4 lenses on the a7RII and the a99 shows:

a7RIIvsa99_85mmf1.4_sizecomparison_zpso1

The added difficulty in designing full frame lenses for an APS-C mount on a FF body explains why the roll out of lenses has been so slow and the resulting lenses more expensive. It explains the reluctance of Tamron and Sigma to make FE mount lenses, because they are concerned about the ability to recoup R&D cost.

You do realize that the Leica SL mount is actually the same as Leica T mount which is APS-C .... and, for quite a while, the Leica fans/experts were declaring that it, the T mount, was too small for FF, even though it was larger than most FF mounts (as you point out) ... they even had a FAQ declaring it as a fact and then Leica showed them a trick or two ... Sigma and Fuji managers are just "talking their book" because they can't actually compete against Sony directly. Take a look at how large the Otus lenses are, they also work fine on FE mount .... or Canon, or Nikon ...

In practice the FE mount works just fine ... yes, that is also inconvenient, I don't know how we FE mount owners manage     :o  

The Leica SL full frame mirrorless mount diameter is wider than that of the FE mount

(51mm vs. 46.1mm). This shows why Sony used an APS-C mount on

their FF mirrorless model, because if you use a dedicated FF mount

with dimensions more typical of a full frame mount like those of the

Leica SL mount, it causes an even more massive blowout in the lens size!

It is obvious to anyone, just from the graphics in your posts that you have no

clue what you're talking about. Graphics aside, your actual content is way too

convoluted to quote at length. So, just a sample from you : 

The Leica SL full frame mirrorless mount diameter is wider than that of

the FE mount (51mm vs. 46.1mm). This shows why Sony used an APS-C

mount on their FF mirrorless model, because if you use a dedicated FF

mount with dimensions more typical of a full frame mount like those of the

Leica SL mount, it causes an even more massive blowout in the lens size!

It's obvious that you seldom know what you're talking about. You just said

that a bigger mount would cause the lenses to get even bigger. Well, YOU

WERE CORRECT where you said that the small size of the APSC-based

E-mount results in larger lenses. And that is the OPPOSITE of what I just

quoted from you, that "full frame mount like those of the Leica SL mount,

it causes an even more massive blowout in the lens size! "

Posting in huge fonts, crazy colors, contradicting yourself .... you're so very

typical of loud clueless zealots. You can't even see the obvious. Frinstintz,

this: If you made a change in the A7 series to noticeably increase the size

of the lens mount, such that optical design were not so constrained, all the

lenses would still require more room in your gear bag than a set of optically

IDENTICAL lenses for an SLR. Cuz compared to the SLR lenses, the A7

lenses have almost an inch of EMPTY TUBE on each lens, cuz they fit onto

a body with a shorter flange distance. Heck, I can argue your case better 

than you can ... cuz I actually know what I'm talking about. And bcuz I know,

I won't argue it any further cuz I know it actually is toadally unimportant.

To all of you that say Sony has not forgotten the A Mount users with the adapter to E mount; that's not necessarily true. I just bought the A7R II and the LEA3 adapter and only one of my A Mount lenses will work with it and it's the 16-50 f/2.8 APS-C lens. I read on Brian Smith's website where my Tamron 150-600mm would work but the focusing is SLOW! Then AF points are combined somehow instead of individual points. It's like 4 of the make one large square. I have 13 lenses and most of the should work with the adapter but they all converted to manual focus.

Sony needs to continue the A mount for all of us that have A mount glass. The glass doesn't work on an E Mount camera the way it does on an A Mount camera despite all the things you read on these forums. If they don't make a better adapter that will allow ALL the features to work with A mount glass, there is no upgrade for A Mount users. I'm so tired of hearing that in these forums. SOny needs to get their butt in gear and produce some A Mount bodies and Soon!! They're a big company and they should be able to keep up 2 mounts. They have released plenty for E Mount (except for glass) and it's time for them to hit the A Mount for their base users that haven't given up already.

I have both mounts and I can tell you A Mount glass works best on A mount cameras and E Mount glass works best on E Mount bodies. Adapters are Crapters!

A-Mount Never? You must have a couple of E-mounts at hand.What would be wrong with A-Mount mirrorless?? I have used both E and A-Mount FF and without exception the A-Mount is a much better fit in my work flow. Controls, handling, and features all better with the A. Things as simple as access to the battery with my quick release mounted to the bottom of the body. If the only future option for Sony is the current E-mount they will loose at least one customer.

Nothing would be wrong with A Mount Mirrorless. I think it would outsell E mount because of the current millions of lenses out there. That's really what Sony should do is make A Mount FF mirrorless and E Mount APS-C mirrorless.

To all of you that say Sony has not forgotten the A Mount users with

the adapter to E mount; that's not necessarily true. I just bought the

A7R II and the LEA3 adapter and only one of my A Mount lenses

will work with it and it's the 16-50 f/2.8 APS-C lens. ........

To all of you suffering the above "neglect" from Sony, you

have the wrong LEA adapter. You need the SLT adapter,

which is the 4 [formerly the 2] not the 3 [formerly the 1].

All of my dozen+ ancient Maxxum lenses and my equally

ancient Tokinas and Sigmas are fully functional that way.

Buy the wrong product, when the maker also offers you a

correct product, and then blame the maker. Real smart .... 

....................................................................................... 

Now some prima donnas will complain that the LAE2/4 is

slower than the LAE1/3 on the 7R2. Also real smart. In all

systems by all makers, the level of performance of mixed

components is limited to that of the OLDEST component

in the mix. Some new users seem to expect that whatever

new state-of-the-art component [especially a $3000 body]

is inserted into the component mix will miraculously drag

ALL their older components into compliance and provide

all the new features of the newest component. Get real.  

....................................................................................... 

Sony doesn't OWE you garbanzos, and is NOT gonna  

unnecessarily support two systems for the same format. 

Consider yourselves non-neglected as long as you can

still buy batteries. You can rage about all the fancy high

performance BS you want, and the compatibility of that

across the evolutionary model changes .... but the dirty

uglee huge little truth is the humble battery pack. When

you can no longer get batteries for a device it has then

become instant trash, techno road kill. So long as you

can still get your batteries, consider yourself Supported.

Nothing would be wrong with A Mount Mirrorless. I think it would outsell E mount because of the current millions of lenses out there. That's really what Sony should do is make A Mount FF mirrorless and E Mount APS-C mirrorless.

Beside A-Mount is dead ...

Everything is wrong with A-Mount mirrorless!

As you can't build a small System with A-Mount, but very well with E-Mount.

For example have a look at these wonderful small Leica M lenses.

How will you adapt them to the ancient A-Mount? :wacko:

A-Mount is always BIG - with E-Mount you have the choice!

So no doubt, that A-Mount is surely not the future and Sony's product anouncements during the last years do confirm this.

With respect to all those panning A mount and saying mirror less is unsuitable for A mount, you are missing the point of previous contributors.

There is nothing wrong with building an  A mount body using the mirror less censor and electronics.

Obviously it would only accept A mount lenses. You would not be able to mount any other lens using any form of adaptor as the optics would not suit. (Forget about using any FE lenses.)

A mount is not about building a "small" system. It is all about building a "balanced" system with all the advantages of a "slightly larger" body. 

So, Sony could very easily construct a A99 mk2 using the A7r mk2 mirror less sensor and electronics.

It should be a cheaper option than continuing with the SLT format.

The more important question is "Will Sony bring out a A99 mk2 in 2016 or has Sony shut down all A mount based body design?"

The answer to that question is more important to me.

With respect to all those panning A mount and saying mirror less is unsuitable for A mount, you are missing the point of previous contributors.

There is nothing wrong with building an  A mount body using the mirror less censor and electronics.

Obviously it would only accept A mount lenses. You would not be able to mount any other lens using any form of adaptor as the optics would not suit. (Forget about using any FE lenses.)

A mount is not about building a "small" system. It is all about building a "balanced" system with all the advantages of a "slightly larger" body. 

So, Sony could very easily construct a A99 mk2 using the A7r mk2 mirror less sensor and electronics.

It should be a cheaper option than continuing with the SLT format.

The more important question is "Will Sony bring out a A99 mk2 in 2016 or has Sony shut down all A mount based body design?"

The answer to that question is more important to me.

You will not likely see an A99 II in 2016, but you might see an announcement at photokina in September 2016.

It's is very unlikely 

You have a failed understanding of what constitutes neglect, but A-mount is dead and can't really be saved now even if Sony begins to R&D for A-mount - it is further back now than it ever was, virtually not to be found the the shops any more.

Sadly I agree with you Molan.

It does "beg the question" "Why did Sony bring out the APS-C A68?"

What message are they trying to say?

Golem, what do you say?

In your considered opinion, is there a technical reason that Sony cannot create a fully functioning FE to A-mount Adapter that will provide all the features of the native FE lenses?

Sadly I agree with you Molan.

It does "beg the question" "Why did Sony bring out the APS-C A68?"....

I think the A68 was still developed an R&D costs already gone!

Maybe an a99II is on the same way; it won't cost Sony any money to give it to their A-Mount Fanboys.

But that's it!

But what I don't understand is, why Andrea is posting this "Mega BS" from Sator on SAR :o

You can't really take him (Andrea) serious !

NB: Comments regarding Adrea on SAR are also strange.

He's not clear in his direction; maybe Italien's are like this  ...

So the solution is now quite simple.

Wait patiently and wait more patiently.

If your A mount camera dies in the meantime and you don't want to sell / throwaway all your A mount lens investment, put them to one side and go out and buy a crappy bridge camera for travelling.

That way you have not thrown away thousands of $$$ buying a new system while waiting ever so patiently for Sony to replace the out of date A99. :(

If you make money from your camera then you can better justify moving completely away from A-mount.

I bought the adapter Brian Smith recommended on his website. He is a Sony Artisan by the way. I take back what I said about the adapter. It's working fine now with my Tamron 150-600. I'm not sure why it didn't work before when I tried it. I do think the focusing is slower than on my a77II. According to Brian, the 3 adapter works better than the 4 on most of the newer glass from Sony.

I know I need the #4 adapter for my older screw mount glass like the 100mm Macro. I'll know for sure when I have both adapters.

I didn't buy the wrong adapter. I bought the one that was recommended for the glass I have.

I have to say, since I've used the a7rII more this past week, I'm liking it better than my A Mount. The pictures are sharper and the knob on top to adjust your exposure saves a lot of time when doing real estate photos. I'm keeping my A Mount because I still think Sony will release a new 70MP A99II or a A Mount mirrorless camera this year. If not, I'll sell my A Mount and buy E Mount glass. Not a big deal.

I just wish everybody would make pictures instead of complaining every time Sony does or doesn't release a new camera. It's like everyone is a blogger instead of a photographer. Life is too short to always be complaining. Do the best with what you have and be happy.

• 3 weeks later...

The notice that the A99 will / has stopped production can be taken 2 ways:

1. The A99 is dead, long live the A99!

2. The A99 is dead, that means the A99ii is not far off.???

Either way my prediction in the title of this thread is still valid. :(

• 4 weeks later...

The notice that the A99 will / has stopped production can be taken 2 ways:

1. The A99 is dead, long live the A99!

2. The A99 is dead, that means the A99ii is not far off.???

Either way my prediction in the title of this thread is still valid. :(

While your prediction may prove accurate, the EOL notice on the SLT-A99 likely indicates that Sony finally plans to release a new Alpha full-frame to replace the A99. There have been rumors from different sources that seem to converge on Sony releasing a full-frame, pro-level body with a ~36MP sensor focused on imaging quality at the expense of video capabilities (which few shopping for a pro-level camera are likely to miss.)

Sony has also finally come clean about the extent of damages to their imaging sensor facilities caused by the recent earthquakes. It makes a lot of sense that they don't wish to announce any products associated with reduced production at those facilities.

I'll give them the benefit of doubt on delaying an Alpha FF body, as its plausible the earthquakes could have set back sensor development and production, considerably.

Hopefully we'll see a new Alpha FF sometime this summer. I think this whole Alpha FF delay situation will reach critical mass this fall: Most will either move to an E-Mount Alpha (makes about as much sense as it sounds like), or, they'll move to a different platform.

While your prediction may prove accurate, the EOL notice on the SLT-A99 likely indicates that Sony finally plans to release a new Alpha full-frame to replace the A99. There have been rumors from different sources that seem to converge on Sony releasing a full-frame, pro-level body with a ~36MP sensor focused on imaging quality at the expense of video capabilities (which few shopping for a pro-level camera are likely to miss.)

Sony has also finally come clean about the extent of damages to their imaging sensor facilities caused by the recent earthquakes. It makes a lot of sense that they don't wish to announce any products associated with reduced production at those facilities.

I'll give them the benefit of doubt on delaying an Alpha FF body, as its plausible the earthquakes could have set back sensor development and production, considerably.

Hopefully we'll see a new Alpha FF sometime this summer. I think this whole Alpha FF delay situation will reach critical mass this fall: Most will either move to an E-Mount Alpha (makes about as much sense as it sounds like), or, they'll move to a different platform.

Personally I lean towards Pentax K1 FF camera, cheap build in GPS, best sealing on the market etc., now I'll hate to lose EVF but hey you can't have it.

Sony have to give to a camera of equal quality to even considering making more A-mount investments - do not have many FF lenses as it is.

I do not believe Sony  will spend resources on A-mount, why should they, it's dead pure and simple, if not in 2016 then in 2020.

Personally I lean towards Pentax K1 FF camera, cheap build in GPS, best sealing on the market etc., now I'll hate to lose EVF but hey you can't have it.

Sony have to give to a camera of equal quality to even considering making more A-mount investments - do not have many FF lenses as it is.

I do not believe Sony  will spend resources on A-mount, why should they, it's dead pure and simple, if not in 2016 then in 2020.

Have my Pentax on order ...