Motorcycle travel with the A7

DYNOBOB

Hi All,

I'll use this thread to share some shots from my on and off-road motorcycle travels.    2015 was the first year with the A7 and covered Colorado, Nova Scotia, and Daytona Beach BikeWeek.    I'm not a sophisticated user, all pics are in-camera jpegs shot mostly in Program so be kind.. :)

San Juan Mountains Colorado (Telluride/Silverton) in September.    A7 with Zeiss FE 24-70.    The whole trip is here:  http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/silverton-colorado-san-juan-mountains-in-pictures-september-2015.1119808/

i-L6mMvkH.jpg

i-jVMfNfG.jpg

i-zWc2X6j.jpg

i-TkrSwrX.jpg

i-4GPbZcK.jpg

i-j8jS2tz.jpg

i-tGQBV7w.jpg

i-xctNrms.jpg

i-LdgPzF8.jpg

i-JDQjPZz.jpg

When I got the A7 I only had the Contax/Yashica Zeiss 28mm so that's what I used at Daytona.  Decided I wanted to try an autofocus zoom and got the native Zeiss 24-70 which I've used since.  I have had to wet clean my sensor already so dust is on my mind.  This is the first time I've looked at the 28mm vs. the zoom and it reminds me how awesome the prime is.  Not sure I can give up the zoom convenience though.

When I got the A7 I only had the Contax/Yashica Zeiss 28mm so that's what I used at Daytona.  Decided I wanted to try an autofocus zoom and got the native Zeiss 24-70 which I've used since.  I have had to wet clean my sensor already so dust is on my mind.  This is the first time I've looked at the 28mm vs. the zoom and it reminds me how awesome the prime is.  Not sure I can give up the zoom convenience though.

This is the same dilemma I'm facing. Zooms are so convenient, but I'd really love a lightweight prime like a Loxia 35.

• 1 month later...

Nice photos and interesting comments. If you are thinking of a 35mm prime you have got to check out the Sony Zeiss 35/2.8. Thinking yeah but it's only 2.8. Look. You can shoot at 2.8. It is as sharp at 2.8 as it is stopped down 2 stops. And it is sharp across the photo. Also, it is small, light, and autofocus is excellent. About 600 grey and 800 US. I love this lens.

markphoto4u

While I love the results from primes, it's impractical for me to be changing lenses in the dusty/bumpy environment of motorcycle travel.  Carrying more than one lens is also hard on my dual-sport bike.  I will say though, carrying nothing but the 28mm prime at BikeWeek last year proved to me I can bring back the pics I want with a medium wide. Which brings me to my latest experiment...

Just returned from BikeWeek '16 where I carried only the FE 16-35 and I'm very pleased w/ it.  Realizing that I've shot my 24-70 mostly at the wide end, the 16-35 is a better 24mm and may be a more logical choice.  We're taking off for a four week ride to Alaska in Aug and I'm thinking it's going to be the 16-35.

Anyway, here's some Florida for ya

DSC01145.jpg

DSC01151-X3.jpg

DSC01198-X3.jpg

DSC01206-X3.jpg

DSC01518-X3.jpg

DSC01865-X3.jpg

DSC01340-X3.jpg

DSC01303-X3.jpg

DSC00972-X3.jpg