Fixing infinity focus issue on Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 (C/Y)

Portrait Painter X

Mine doesn't focus to infinity on my A7 II and I was wondering if it's hard to fix? I'm a little bit weary of opening the lens, but if it's reasonably easy to fix, I'd like to try. Because the lens itself is fantastic in every aspect - sharpness, zero distortion, colors, contrast, bokeh... Basically, it's the perfect portrait lens. I just wish it would focus to infinity - for those rare occasions when I want to shoot landscapes with it. 

You're welcome, I'm always happy to suggest weekend projects :)

BTW, too bad is the new moon. One of the best subjects to properly fix infinity focus is the full / almost full moon. Doesn't get much more infinite than this, at least on Earth!

It's a good suggestion, but even if it were full moon it would be impossible - because I live in Sweden and we rarely see through the clouds this time of year, lol!

And if the rubber gloves don't do it ....

well tother day I hadda drill tiny holes

to allow putting lens spanner to the ring.

It's kinda tedious and risky. Take all

possible precautions, no lazy shortcuts.

Cheers, but I wouldn't go that far. If I can't get it off with rubber gloves, I'll cut my losses short and be content with using it as a portrait lens. :)

Cheers, but I wouldn't go that far. If I can't get it off with rubber gloves, I'll cut my losses short and be content with using it as a portrait lens. :)

Actually there is another, less "scary", alternative: if you can find a rubber cap for the sink / bathtub hole large enough you will be then able to exploit a lot of friction.

BTW, I almost envy your clouds, here I'm still having to use sunscreen on the long runs and hikes lol

Cheers, but I wouldn't go that far. If I can't get

it off with rubber gloves, I'll cut my losses short

and be content with using it as a portrait lens. :)

Full disclosurewise, I only perform risky repairs

as the last resort before schidtcanning the item.

If nothing ruinous happens, I've won. If disaster

happens, I haven't actually lost. Sorry if I just

paraphrased various presidential contenders ....

• 1 year later...