Best tripod for A7 Series under 1.3kg (2.8lb) and over 130cm height

I really like my Mefoto RoadTrip, at 1.4kg for the carbon version.  Comes with a decent ball head, a generic quick-lock plate, and folds very small (with reverse folding legs). Mefoto makes smaller / lighter models (the Backpacker is 1.18 kg) but this one is a no-compromise tripod for a mirrorless camera.  http://www.mefoto.com/products/roadtrip.aspx

I personally use a Mefoto RoadTrip, too, and it's my personal favorite due to the detaching leg to turn it into a monopod. When you convert it, though, it's about double the length of a similarly sized monopod collapsed down because the center column attaches directly to the leg. I like it though. Also screw locks instead of lever locks tend to work much better when covered in crud.

For ball heads and camera plates, Really Right Stuff is the very best.  Bar none.

For legs, carbon fiber leg sets from Really Right Stuff and Gitzo are the best.  You can't fully appreciate how stable they are from looking at photos or comparing specs.  You have to actually use them.  Once you do, you won't be happy with anything else.  These are expensive but long-lived pieces of equipment, that you can use for years, as you change from camera body to body.

What he said. There are some things (well, many things) that a spec sheet won't tell you. I own both Gitzo and RRS, and have owned Manfrotto and a few other entirely forgettable brands. As I said earlier in this thread - if you compare lightweight tripods and ball heads, none would be as sturdy as these. 

• 3 months later...

I use a Gitzo GT0545T + Really Right Stuff BH 30 Head for travel.

You can add spikes, level and a tripod weight pouch for a pretty competent package.

Really light, really small, sturdy and a great travel setup.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/gitzo-traveler-kit-gk0545t-82tqd-tripod-review-28309/performance

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/BH-30-Ballhead

https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-SB-100-Stone-Bag/dp/B0051OGJQE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1471831129&sr=8-5&keywords=tripod+pouch

When I said best Tripod I meant the best balance of cost, functionality and weight, After all the A7 platform is all about full functionality in a light weight portable system is it not? I just ordered the Sirui T025x and plan to remove the (unstable) center column for a mid height ultra light travel tripod at about 600g, however I understand that neither my Promaster x525 or the Sirui will be stable with wind, but I dont take photos in the wind much so all good. I just cant get my head around the Gitzo that so many have mentioned here at half the cost of the A7r, comparing that to say the Promaster x528C (one step up from mine) at AU$379 its hard to imagine that its so much better to justify 6x the cost, but I will keep an open mind and get my hands on it someday as about 5 posters talked about this as being worth it?

I picked up the Befree Carbon in a shop and was amazed by the low weight. Just like you I wanted something as light as possible, but something that wasn't too pathetic. I didn't buy it because I didn't like the idea of it being so expensive and having no weight hook etc. I kept looking online and in shops for alternatives but nothing grabbed me. After about a year I'd bought a couple of average tripods, I finally gave up and bought the Befree Carbon. I have a Carbon Fibre Gitzo for studio use, but it annoys me carrying it around (3Kg), this Manfrotto seems odd on paper, but I absolutely love it for what I do and I can live without the weight hook, although they really should have added one.

As with Duncanfoxphoto and Loonsailor, I am very happy with my Mefoto Roadtrip. I opted for the carbon version which was a substantial price shift but I don't regret my decision. It is wonderfully logical instrument and most importantly, its size and weight means that its not kept in the closet- I take it everywhere. And the 61.5" inches in max. tripod height means I (6'-2") don't have to do much stooping.

Thanks Eddn,

I almost got the BeFree too, it is a strong contender. However when replacing my Promaster X525 I would get the carbon fiber version, X525c, at 960 grams including head and at $300, monopod, weight hook, spirit levels etc. I think it beats the BeFree. The tough part is justifying the difference in cost between the x525 and the x525c, $130 for 300g less, Obviously I chose not to initially but after lugging my gear around I would now spend the extra $130. As for spending $900 on a Gitzo as so many have sworn by here, I am far from convinced that its worth it, Ben Jacobsen reviewed it here and states that its nice but adds no additional stability in his opinion. http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/2016/gear/four-travel-backpack-and-tripod-options-reviewed/

Thanks for everyone's replies, I have learned a lot about tripods since I first wrote this, but no one came up with a tripod that beat the Promaster x525 and x525c on price, functionality, weight, sounds like the Gitzo does compete but way, way off on price.

Old Dog, that Roadtrip Carbon is expensive and comes in at 1.4kg, I am sure its nice but if you had to replace would you not prefer the X525c at 960 grams, it has two spiril levels and its a little cheaper too.

I settled on the Sirui T-025 with centre column removed for unlra light and staying with the X525, until I need to replace it with the X525c

(one leg hinge on my x525 is not stopping the leg extending after a rough 3 years but its still fully useable)

When I said best Tripod I meant the best balance of cost, functionality and weight, After all the A7 platform is all about full functionality in a light weight portable system is it not? I just ordered the Sirui T025x and plan to remove the (unstable) center column for a mid height ultra light travel tripod at about 600g, however I understand that neither my Promaster x525 or the Sirui will be stable with wind, but I dont take photos in the wind much so all good. I just cant get my head around the Gitzo that so many have mentioned here at half the cost of the A7r, comparing that to say the Promaster x528C (one step up from mine) at AU$379 its hard to imagine that its so much better to justify 6x the cost, but I will keep an open mind and get my hands on it someday as about 5 posters talked about this as being worth it?

RRS TQC-14, 6 times the price, clearly a better tripod, very stable, works well in the field, and very smart design features. Clearly out performs the heavier AU$350 tripod it replaced in every way except price. If your criteria is only cost and weight ...

I would suggest that a you check out Benro's Travel Angel II tripod options....  They are pricey in Carbon but true 'Pro' quality and stability for their size.  Unfortunately they no longer offer the leg sets without the ball head.  If you could find the fta18cv0 legs only with your own head you could get very close to your weight goal with a much more stable platform.  The included ball head in the following link is .82 LBS and rated for 8Kg I am guessing you should be able to find some weight to cut out with your own head.   

http://www.benrousa.com/products/benro-fta18cv0.aspx

There are other Carbon and Aluminum options that get very close also..   The carbon leg versions are an order of magnitude more stable than any of the tripods you are considering in your SAR post..  Also keep in mind that the site has inaccurate specs regarding some leg sections counts and minimum measurements when folded 180 degrees, they call out the folded length with the ball head outside the legs but you can also fold 180 with the ballhead inside the legs....

One other thing I would suggest is to look at Really Right Stuff's Ballheads, The BH 25 is rock solid up to 8,8Lbs and has various options under 5 ounces including mounts that won't interfere with the A7r/A7rII screen....  By far the best small ball heads you can find and reasonably priced.. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Since I wrote this I bought the Sirui T025x and I love it. Very lightweight, once I screw off the head it fits horizontally in my bag. Yes it is unstable when you extend both centre sections but if you don't e tend them it is no problem. For me I was all to often not taking a tripod and on day trips so this is the best alternative to a tabletop. I waited two years for the A7r release rather than buying a larger DSLR, I am all about lightweight and compact, I can sacrifice stability on a windy day to achieve that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure if Marsace is available in Australia

I have been using Marsace MT-1541T + FB-1 ballhead For my A7R II with great success.

The build and stability noticeably better than Sirui 

The price difference is less than 100 AUD I believe.

The tripod weight about 1.4KG, a little over your desirable weight.

But it's worth it, I have this bought to replace my 15 years old Gitzo.

The build and tolerance definitely no less than Gitzo but much more affordable.