Fotodiox Canon to Sony adapter for A7SII video

nc1983

I just sent back the metabones $400 adapter and ordered the Fotodiox $100 adapter. 

I could see no reason to care about firmware updates considering I'm shooting only video and will only be using manual focus with any canon lenses.

The only electronic functions I need is metadata, electronic aperture change and focus peaking.

What I can't find a clear answer on, is if these electronic feature will work with other brands of canon mount lenses like the Tokina 11-16mm. I guess it might be hit or miss...

All you A7SII shooters out there, did I make the right choice? I can see justification for the metabones if you're a still shooter and especially if you have the A7R, but it seems like a huge waist of money for A7SII video users...

I think you did right by sending it back. I have the metabones adapter I bought years ago, the older version just before that one, and it works great. I will still need it when I shoot in low light.

You reminded me to buy this one that I never knew existed, until I saw it on Youtube. It has a built in variable ND for video shooters and this is awesome! Trying to keep a shutter speed at 50th of a second with ISO into 1600 with SLOG 3, means I was screwing on my variable ND's onto the front of lenses all the time, not to mention you can't with the 14mm rokinon. Did you get this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1041731-REG/fotodiox_vzlx_thrtl_eos_nex_pro_vizelx_nd_throttle_adpter.html

Happy shooting!

I think you did right by sending it back. I have the metabones adapter I bought years ago, the older version just before that one, and it works great. I will still need it when I shoot in low light.

You reminded me to buy this one that I never knew existed, until I saw it on Youtube. It has a built in variable ND for video shooters and this is awesome! Trying to keep a shutter speed at 50th of a second with ISO into 1600 with SLOG 3, means I was screwing on my variable ND's onto the front of lenses all the time, not to mention you can't with the 14mm rokinon. Did you get this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1041731-REG/fotodiox_vzlx_thrtl_eos_nex_pro_vizelx_nd_throttle_adpter.html

Happy shooting!

I wanted to get that one but it has no electronic shutter speed control in it. Since I'm using photography lenses and not cine lenses, I have no manual aperture control so my lens would be stuck wide open. I hope they find a way to build one with some electronic functions preserved. Fotodiox did a Q&A video on youtube regarding this adapter and said their engineers are working on it, but it's tough to fit both in the size the lens needs to be.