How to adjust exposure of Sony a7II ?

Dian

A little more information would be helpful in trying to trouble shoot your issue...

Have you suspected under exposure since the camera was new or is it a recent problem?

What meter settings are you using and have you tried?

Does it happen in all modes; P; A; S; M and Auto?

Have you checked the Exposure Comp. setting in the Menu system?

Do you have (or have access to) another camera or light meter to compare what your A7II thinks is an accurate exposure vs. another source?

KMG

A little more information would be helpful in trying to trouble shoot your issue...

Have you suspected under exposure since the camera was new or is it a recent problem?

What meter settings are you using and have you tried?

Does it happen in all modes; P; A; S; M and Auto?

Have you checked the Exposure Comp. setting in the Menu system?

Do you have (or have access to) another camera or light meter to compare what your A7II thinks is an accurate exposure vs. another source?

KMG

Thank you for help.

"Have you suspected under exposure since the camera was new or is it a recent problem?"

Yes.  Images look under exposed since the first picture this camera took.

"What meter settings are you using and have you tried?"

Have tried all three meter modes, multi and center and spot.  All have the same under exposed look.

"Does it happen in all modes; P; A; S; M and Auto?"

I only use A mode and have no ideas about P. S. and M.

I have a few vintage primes.  I did not purchase any Sony lens when a7II was purchased.  The vintage primes have been used since the first day I put my hands on the a7II.

"Have you checked the Exposure Comp. setting in the Menu system?"

Yes, I have tested the exposure compensation.  One or two f-stops + would make the images much better.  

"Do you have (or have access to) another camera or light meter to compare what your A7II thinks is an accurate exposure vs. another source?"

I took some shots with a Canon Power Shot A530, only 5mega pixels, the images look better.

And also some shots with a Sony  Steady Shot DSC-W610, 1/14 the cost of a7II, picture show better contrast and saturation and brightness than a7II.

Photoshop

Thank you.

Doesn't have to be Photoshop.  Any post processing software can do the correction by adjusting the white balance or histogram , maybe not as detailed as Photoshop.

Or, the camera's exposure compensation can also do the correction by 1+ or 1.5+.

My question is not how to compensate the exposure at shootin. or how to correct the under exposed shots by PP software.

My question is rather why the a7II cannot render correct exposures.

Is it due to the vintage lenses?

Is it because of my inadequate operation?

Hi Dian, would you be able to post an example of an underexposed picture, along with the histogram? I just want to confirm that the image is actually underexposed. 

It may also be worth borrowing or renting a Sony lens to see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, you probably have an issue with your camera. 

Guest Peter Kelly

My question is not how to compensate the exposure at shootin. or how to correct the under exposed shots by PP software.

My question is rather why the a7II cannot render correct exposures.

Is it due to the vintage lenses?

Is it because of my inadequate operation?

Your camera may, of course, have a calibration error, but I do think Sony tend to underexpose; probably in the interests of retaining the highlights. That's been my experience with all my Sony (A900, A99, RX10, A7, A7S, A7Rii).

If this is what you're seeing then there is no way around it I'm afraid. It will be a case of applying an adjusted setting in post processing (although it is easy to do in batches).

Of course, the only ways to check your camera are to send it to Sony, or find another owner (perhaps a local camera shop might be able to help). Then you would have to set the two cameras side by side with identical framing and compare the EVF and resulting shot.

I fear that carrying out some check is the only way you'll put your mind at rest. Until then it is bound to be a permanent niggle. I hope you sort it!

Your camera may, of course, have a calibration error, but I do think Sony tend to underexpose; probably in the interests of retaining the highlights. That's been my experience with all my Sony (A900, A99, RX10, A7, A7S, A7Rii).

If this is what you're seeing then there is no way around it I'm afraid. It will be a case of applying an adjusted setting in post processing (although it is easy to do in batches).

Of course, the only ways to check your camera are to send it to Sony, or find another owner (perhaps a local camera shop might be able to help). Then you would have to set the two cameras side by side with identical framing and compare the EVF and resulting shot.

I fear that carrying out some check is the only way you'll put your mind at rest. Until then it is bound to be a permanent niggle. I hope you sort it!

Thank you.

"...  or find another owner ...."

That has been done for 3 times and that is why I am positive that my a7II is alway under exposing by 1 to 1.5 f-stop.

Their cameras were set up exactly as mine.

One camera was an a6000.

The other was an a7.

And the 3rd was an a7II.

The only difference was the lens.  Their cameras the original Sony kit lenses, while mine was mounted with a Zeiss Planar 1.7/50.

The all had their lenses set at 50mm F8 and so as mine.

Results:

First shot, my picture was under exposed.

Second shot, I increased 1& 1/3+ f-stop by exposure compensation, the exposure looked very similar as theirs.

"...  there is no way around it .... "

1. I'll send the camera back to Sony.

2. Have to live with the permanent niggle if the camera comes back unchanged.

Really appreciate your assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

the manual can explain this, have you tried that?

it's very straight forward

Chrisq, where in the manual ? Are you saying that

somewhere in the menus is metering calibration

option ? Not a "exposure bias" or such, but some

actually tweaker for the metering system ? My own

A7-2 is fine, but inquiring minds wanna know [just

in case problem arises someday]. Nobody hasta

tell me "RTFM" ... I even read the two inch thick

manual for my car ... but haven't encountered any

sorta Meter Tweaker. I mean in the SONY manual !

The Nissan manual always says to "bring it to an

authorized service center". Altho the other day

the electronic door locks went insane, and deep

within the Big Book lay an equally insane solution,

which finally worked after following the procedure

a few dozen times ......

Sooooo .... if all else fails, close all the doors, and

within 20 seconds, switch on the power, hold the

global door unlock button down for 5 seconds and

observe that the emergency lights flash, indicating

"Procedure complete". Do this a few dozen times

and your exposures will be truly brilliant ! Acoarst

with a Sony, be sure you start the procedure with

a freshly fully charged battery and work really fast.

Anywho, Chrisq, WHERE in the Sony manual ? TIA.