s log2 file handling for a7s HELP

Hello all, I'm new to the forum as well as the Sony Alpha world.

Recently I purchased an a7s and more recently, had my first run shooting in slog2.

Once I got to my computer, my first instinct was to import my files to Premiere CC. Once imported, I noticed the files were .mp4, not .mov which seems odd. Upon review of the footage, the picture is pretty noisy and overall the quality seems off. I'm not sure if I'm missing a step in handling these files, or if something is just wrong altogether. Again, this is all new to me. I was expecting the picture to be flat and rather dull before color correction- which it is- but the overall quality seems rather poor to be from slog2. I've included a screen grab of the folder and contents from the card I shot on if this helps.

Thanks! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I've noticed this as well.

I'm only 2 days into testing my A7S mkii, but so far I'm not really the vast improvement in IQ over my Canon 5d mk ii. And yes, a LOT of noise. True, I'm shooting at sci-fi ISOs.

I'm using a Zeiss 55mm 1.8, at optimum apertures.

I'm also wondering if slog 2 - or slog3 - on 'cine mode' is actually any better than standard on 'manual' mode, where you can use much lower ISOs.

Anybody?

MP4 is simply the container - the codec is xavcs (or avchd if you selected that - don't!)

A .mov container is more usually seen with, for example, a prores codec (eg Sony A7 plus Atomos Shogun).

What iso are you using? Base 3200 will not be noisy. I used 25/40,000 for a recent aurora trip (linked in the video showcase section below - please view!) and noise is handled ok. This assumes you exposed correctly - worth hunting out Philip Bloom's A7s tutorial at this point. Slog footage exposed incorrectly will look horrid. Promise.

Are you familiar with slog and colour grading?

If 'yes' then I'm not sure what to tell you other than to try the other neutral profiles to see if they are better. Not knowing your tolerance level nor your expectations it is difficult to know what you mean by "poor quality".

If 'no' then... Now the fun really starts! I use RedGiant log/lut to start grading the footage in FCP or fiddle (I wouldn't claim to know what I'm doing...) in Resolve. Slog will look poor unless and until it is graded with considerable skill. On eoshd.com it seems to be accepted that Sony colours are very poor out of camera when compated with Canon for example. I have no experience to make the comparison however.

Slog from the A7S can be excellent. But it does need care when exposing and TLC in post...

Have fun,

Tim

MP4 is simply the container - the codec is xavcs (or avchd if you selected that - don't!)

A .mov container is more usually seen with, for example, a prores codec (eg Sony A7 plus Atomos Shogun).

What iso are you using? Base 3200 will not be noisy. I used 25/40,000 for a recent aurora trip (linked in the video showcase section below - please view!) and noise is handled ok. This assumes you exposed correctly - worth hunting out Philip Bloom's A7s tutorial at this point. Slog footage exposed incorrectly will look horrid. Promise.

Are you familiar with slog and colour grading?

If 'yes' then I'm not sure what to tell you other than to try the other neutral profiles to see if they are better. Not knowing your tolerance level nor your expectations it is difficult to know what you mean by "poor quality".

If 'no' then... Now the fun really starts! I use RedGiant log/lut to start grading the footage in FCP or fiddle (I wouldn't claim to know what I'm doing...) in Resolve. Slog will look poor unless and until it is graded with considerable skill. On eoshd.com it seems to be accepted that Sony colours are very poor out of camera when compated with Canon for example. I have no experience to make the comparison however.

Slog from the A7S can be excellent. But it does need care when exposing and TLC in post...

Have fun,

Tim

Thanks for that Tim.

Yes, I've watched the Philip Bloom tutorial, v useful.

Are we talking about 3200, or 32000?  I think I may have set the ISO to 32000, in which case...(blushes)

I'm using slog3, cine gamut3 and as you say, there is a lot to learn about grading but also exposing correctly with such a flat image.

My reference point is the beautiful image you get straight from the Canon with sharpness, contrast as low as they go, and saturation set to just below zero. Grading enhances this, but it's usually pretty gorgeous on the start.

My 'test' is me sitting in front of a window, and checking the dynamic range so my backlit face is exposed and detailed okay, as is the background. I want my cake and eat it here! Is that reasonable?

Good to see you blush... 3200 NOT 32000... The latter will have noise (but controllable).

I have the A7S so I'm not familiar with slog3.

Your test is extreme! I'd be tempted to play with a less extreme situation first so you can get an idea of how log behaves (although you might have used clog in the Canon?)

Are you applying a LUT or playing with the slog directly? It helps to apply a log profile first I think.

But, yes, we pay our £,€ or $ so it is reasonable to expect edible cake!

Under those embarrassing circumstances the A7S mk2 did really well!

Yes, I am starting to go through the enormous list of LUTS. So far I'm liking one I got from Osiris and a few others.

I like a nice muted, desaturated cinematic look - can you suggest any I should look at, which may be closest to the Canon palette?

Cheers