Best method for traveling with multiple Sony A7 batteries, battery storage, etc

I'll be traveling with my Sony gear and usually like to bring about (10) batteries with me. Is there an easy way to protect the batteries from themselves, protecting the contacts and getting these through airport security? 

Are there any small cases that will hold about four or so batteries in one case?  

I've just been putting them in small baggies and wrapped with a rubber band but this might not work for airport screening.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Markoe

California USA

I would put all the batteries in a small "toiletry" bag, along with a charger and other cables. The contacts are recessed so there is nothing much to worry about.

You may be able to find some small plastic containers at a camping store, something that would hold a small bar of soap would be ideal.

Another option is a sports store that sells fishing equipment, there are small plastic cases with adjustable pieces inside that are used by fishermen to hold hooks etc,

10?  Good God that's a lot!  I'm traveling with 2 (plus one in the camera) and use the think tank photo small battery pack which carries two batteries.  I also have the Watson dual-battery charger so I can charge two at a time (and it real time shows the charge level.)

I would double-check with the airlines you may be taking.  I notice the TSA recently released new regulations limiting the number of extra batteries.  I think it's now just two, which is fine for my needs.

Ah, the limitation to two is just for the really big ones:

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

10 is not unreasonable for traveling. I carry

3 or 4 just for casual local walkabout use.

And yes they do protect themselves very well

concerning contact with each other. Those

recesses at the contacts are not there to

assure good contact alignment when inserting

the battery. Larger contacts would do that.

They are there to prevent shorts between the

numerous spares that we hafta carry. Might

even be a "UL Listing" requirement.

I found a clear plastic flip-top box at the dollar store.  It holds 4 batteries perfectly without any play/movement in the box.  

Would you happen to have a photo you could attach for reference?  

Thank you too for all the responses above. I'm on a mission here.

• 1 month later...

Here's another option, it will hold three batteries, there's a little wiggle room so I got some felt pads from Home Depot to stop them bouncing around too much. The box is less than $2 from Office Depot.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/452423/Really-Useful-Boxes-Plastic-Storage-Box/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'll be traveling with my Sony gear and usually like to bring about (10) batteries with me. Is there an easy way to protect the batteries from themselves, protecting the contacts and getting these through airport security? 

Are there any small cases that will hold about four or so batteries in one case?  

I've just been putting them in small baggies and wrapped with a rubber band but this might not work for airport screening.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Markoe

California USA

Found this a photo show, it's brilliant takes 4 batteries and 4-6 sd cards. easily  found in your bag  and not expensive .  :)

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Think Tank Photo cases made for Canon batteries.  They work just find for the Sony W batteries.  To keep things straight in the "heat of battle" I have two cases that hold four batteries each and two cases that hold two batteries each.  With a silver Sharpie, I marked which cases hold "charged" batteries and which hold "spent" batteries.

These cases keep the contacts isolated and fit just find in camera bags.

I also highly recommend the Think Tank Photo SD memory card case.  It has a tether for safety and a card holder for identification information.

BTW - Think Tank Photo and MindShift are related companies.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!