Flashing Steady Shot Indicator

Is it just me or does that flashing steady shot indicator on the monitor / finder drive everyone nuts?

I wouldn't mind too much if it was displayed right on the edge of the screen but it intrudes over the main image area, sometimes onto the forehead of a person in the image.

I get why an inexperienced photographer might need such a warning but, all my photo life I've known to look at the shutter speed to see if handheld is doable. I know what shutter speed / focal length I can handhold.   I don't need that warning, ever.

Is there anyway of getting rid of it?

I guess we can just hope that, one day, Sony puts a flag in the firmware: Steady Shot warning On/Off.

Next A7Rii firmware upgrade.  PLEASE!

Regards

Peter

Guest Peter Kelly

To help I'm trying to figure out what you're seeing, as that doesn't sound like my cameras at all.

The steadyshot warning is in the bottom left corner of my A7Rii, whether EVF or monitor, and I can't find anything that flashes in the top centre.

Out of curiosity, what colour is the light and what is the lens and settings when you see it?

If the Sony had an optical viewfinder I might have suspected that a warning bulb had come loose and moved into view, but this isn't possible for EVF, so I'm completely at a loss to help at the moment, sorry.

Update:

Found it!

I see what you mean now although, to be honest, it's not something I've ever noticed before (not hard to guess!). As it is just one of the white icons scattered around I've never been distracted by it. 

I really don't want to sound insulting here, as I can see why it might bother you and short posts aren't easy to express the correct tone, but my 'tunnel vision' is taken up with the composition so I pretty well don't see anything in the VF other than the subject. I generally have the settings by second nature, almost without thinking, so barely ever glance to the extent I don't realise I'm doing it. I leave AS on, as it can help, but it never crosses my mind.

That said, I have been caught out once or twice with cameras where you can't fix certain settings and they easily get knocked, so found myself shooting at a definitely not ideal ISO, for example!

I have a strong suspicion that you will be a fairly lone voice, as I've never seen it raised before, so the likelihood of a firmware option to turn it off is probably zero.

Let's be honest, it usually takes a deafening storm for Sony to change anything in firmware and sometimes not even then!

Sorry I haven't helped and hope you won't feel I've been disrespectful.

Just put your lens cap on and you will see the flashing ICON.

I think they could simply make the exposure parameters "Red" in color if the metering is out, and only those parameters which are active (i,e, in A mode set the Shutter and ISO text Red). No need for flashing, or additional icons ... unfortunately the trend seems to be in a different direction.

Guest Peter Kelly

I'm with Peter. Modern finders are so cluttered that

one must acquire a mental focus that just ignores all

that crap.

You managed to say what I wanted to in one short sentence. Well done!