VILTROX EF-NEX II adapter

MiguelP

Hi guys, really loving the A7II especially when using with older glass via adapters. I recently purchased the VILTROX EF-NEX II adapter to use some of my Canon EF lenses. Has anyone had any experience with this adapter? Cons/pros? Much appreciated

I plan to use the Canon 17-40mm mostly and possibly the Sigms 70-200mm f2.8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I just got mine yesterday. Played with it with the 70-200 f2.8 IS II and it works awesome. 

However It has some play on both the lens and the camera mounts. I've noticed a couple times that the aperature stops working. I've got to take it off the camera and lens to get it to work again. 

The speed is pretty impressive though. 

• 1 month later...

I received my VILTROX EF-NEX II adapter a couple days ago, updated the A7M2 firmware to version 3.10 and started shooting with a Cannon 70-200 F/4L ($600 new, no IS), and so far I'm very impressed with both the adaptor and the lens.  I'm getting perfect aperture control, pretty quick and accurate AF in the AF-S and AF-C modes (the only modes available) when shooting objects beyond 3 meters, and it feels like I'm getting a good 2-3 stops of stabilization.  The A7M2 automatically sets the stabilization focal length, which is very much appreciated when using a zoom lens.  Lightroom 6.4 recognizes the important lens information (aperture and focal length, and identifies the lens as "70-200mm F4"), and has a profile for this lens, although it doesn't automatically select it.

Putting the lens switch into the >1.2 meter mode to shoot closer, the AF is less responsive at finding focus in that 1.2-3 meter range at focal lengths >100mm.  I'll be doing more experimenting, but it looks like this is a limitation that needs to be worked around when shooting <3 meters (10 feet).

I also experimented with the Canon Extender 1.4x II, and it feels like the AF is a bit slower, and usually fails to focus at 200mm (= 280 with extender) at all distances.  I'm having pretty good luck though if I back it off a bit (say 135mm), focus, then zoom back in and shoot.  Back button focus helps at times like this, or switch into MF once focus is acquired.  Lightroom 6.4 recognizes the new effective focal length, and identifies the lens as "98-280mm F5.6").  Perfect!

Has anyone tried wide lenses like the Samyang 14mm on any of these adaptors? I have both the Fotodiox Pro and Meike EF to NEX adaptor for the A7R2 and what is interesting is the edge sharpness using the Fotodiox is terrible where as the Meike is really sharp using a Samyang 14mm.