New A7rii: Help with continuous shooting, and memory settings

gavta

Hello,

I just got a new Sony A7rii today with the 55mm sony/zeiss lens and the 24-70 native lens.  I have two questions/issues thus far.  Firstly, I was inputting my settings (ie. face detection on, 'quality' of EVF to high, 'quality' of the photos/format to JPEG + RAW, etc, etc.....).  The settings are things I want the camera to remember no matter what.  

Here's the problem.  My battery died.  I had a backup battery charged and ready to go; so, I exchanged the dead one with the charged one.  All of the settings I just spent 60 minutes figuring out where they were, what they meant, were "reset" to the factory settings after I switched the battery!!!!!  How in the world do I get this camera to remember all of those settings (like the ones described in the paragraph above) when the battery dies?  OR, am I just going to have to take an extra hour out of my day each time the battery dies to program it: over and over and over and over again (face-palm)??????

Second issue, continuous shooting mode.  I was able to configure the camera to continuous shooting mode and it makes all of the sounds associated with taking 5-6 shots at once (while I have the shutter button held down), BUT only the first picture is written to the card!!!!  Again, huh?  What???  How do I get all of those pictures written to the card?

Thanks!

Gavta

Guest Peter Kelly

The camera should retain all the settings, no matter what, so there may be an issue with the internal battery (a very small one that you can't change). I'm pretty sure the A7 series has one, just like your computer motherboard has one to retain the BIOS, but I could be mistaken. If I'm right I presume it's kept charged by the main battery, so you could try again after leaving a fully charged battery in for a while.

Perhaps make all the settings while connected to a USB power supply and see if that makes a difference. If, after trying various combinations, it still doesn't retain settings it is definitely faulty I'm afraid and will need to be returned to Sony (or ask your supplier to replace it).

As to the continuous. just make sure you don't have the camera set for HDR as it takes a number of shots and blends them in camera. I honestly don't know all the variations in that regard, as it's not something I have any need for, but it could be the cause of your issue.