Looking For feedback forSony - Sonnar T FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA

I don't like this lens at all. I find it dull, lack of pop, uninspiring. In fact I am selling mine for $500. It is worth that but not the asking price IMO. Mine I bought brand new and has little use. I love 35mm but never warmed up to this lens, and part of the reason is because I was spoiled by the 35mm Sonnar found on the Rx1. I think the Sony 28mm f/2 is better.

The above poster said this lens is sharp and light, and I agree with that.

I don't like this lens at all. I find it dull, lack of pop, uninspiring. In fact I am selling mine for $500. It is worth that but not the asking price IMO. Mine I bought brand new and has little use. I love 35mm but never warmed up to this lens, and part of the reason is because I was spoiled by the 35mm Sonnar found on the Rx1. I think the Sony 28mm f/2 is better.

The above poster said this lens is sharp and light, and I agree with that.

I agree with this comment. I have the 35f2.8 zeiss and am not a fan at all. The size is nice but the pictures I get from it don't have the same wow factor that I am used to from other Zeiss lenses I've used. I am also going to be putting mine up for sale soon so I can pick up the Batis 25. After using the A7ii more and getting comfortable with how I take photos, I am willing to go for a heavier lens to get a better picture.

The price tag of the 35f2.8 just doesn't match what you get for it, and I also agree that the 28f2 by Sony is a much better lens.

I use the FE 35 f 2,8 ZA on the A7 II. For me it´s an must have, because:

it is sharp,
it is small and light,
it is unremarkable
making it ideal for street photography.

The lack of OSS is no problem with the A7 II.

The sample image shows the facade of the main station in Frankfurt / Main (Germany):

Sony A7 II - FE 35 f 2,8 ZA at f 2,8 - 1 / 60 sec. - ISO 1.000 - hand held.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Colin Scott Johnson

@rollsman4

I loved the 35mm F2.8 rendering much much more than the 55 F1.8 first time around when I owned these lenses.

I shot it on A7s and A7 II bodies.

The size and weight are ideal for street photography (on the A7s that is - the A7II is much too noisy for the street) and it is a much better tool for this than the Loxia 35mm F2 which I now own.

I have another copy I am picking up and taking with me to Thailand and leaving the Loxia 35 at home...

HTH

Currently my only lens on the A7sii as I'm eagerly awaiting the new lens announcements.

Small, sharp and light are all correct comments. Sharpness is in my opinion the most important. That is only truly available at the time of capture and this lens achieves it. Dull, lifeless, uninspiring? That seems a bit strong. I would imagine there a few lenses (or photographers) who take pictures they will use straight out of camera. I for one capture loads of images in RAW (boring/flat compared to out of camera jpeg) that I then select the winners and work a bit of magic on to produce shots with pop, interest and looking "inspiring".

I would rate this a damn good lens - even straight out of camera.

My 35mm FE f/2.8 is for sale, for $500, at that price, it is okay. Seldom used, as I never warmed up to its output, the 35mm Sonnar on the Rx1 really puts the 35mm f/2.8 to shame in my eyes. The Rx1 35mm Sonnar has incredible images OOC that don't need to be saved in post, as does the FE 28mm f/2, as does the 55mm f/1.8. Those lenses have character. The 35mm f/2.8 is small, it is sharp, it is also dull and uninspiring for me. Everytime I shot with it I always found myself wondering how much better the Rx1 would have looked.

I do agree with much of what I have read here.

I own many 35mm lenses.....

The Sony Zeiss 35mm 2.8 is sharp.  It's small.  It's light.  It's handy.  It has auto focus (very needed sometimes) but it is sterile and uninspired. 

While I have been able to achieve some decent fall-off and shallow depth of field in some close-up shots, over-all it leaves me flat.
Also no image stabilization which is fine on my Sony a7sII  but not so on the a7s and a7r.

It's so damn handy I always throw it in my bag but rarely use it.

Michael.

• 3 weeks later...

My 35mm FE f/2.8 is for sale, for $500, at that price, it is okay. Seldom used, as I never warmed up to its output, the 35mm Sonnar on the Rx1 really puts the 35mm f/2.8 to shame in my eyes. The Rx1 35mm Sonnar has incredible images OOC that don't need to be saved in post, as does the FE 28mm f/2, as does the 55mm f/1.8. Those lenses have character. The 35mm f/2.8 is small, it is sharp, it is also dull and uninspiring for me. Everytime I shot with it I always found myself wondering how much better the Rx1 would have looked.

I think we got it.

Opinions are just like noses, we all have one. I chose the 35mm f2.8 Zeiss Sonnar over the 20mm f2.8 more so as I don't do extremely wide but was more interested in a classic "walk around" focal length. I've got that wrapped up with the 35mm f2.8 and a 55mm f1.8 as well. My copy is sharp across the board wide open even though I don't go wide open naturally much, but it's capable and has excellent bokeh in close subjects as well. I love the size and weight which literally transforms the A7RII into a pocket camera size but top optics. The 20mm f2.0 is a highly capable lens but I don't feel it is in any significant way superior by any means to the 35mm f2.8 Zeiss. The price sure is hard to pass up however on that 20mm. Whatever floats your boat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

This was the first native lens I purchased for my A7R.  I still have it!  I like everything about it (now that it's paid for)...it's small size, Zeiss rendering qualities, sharpness, and nice handling.  I did loose the minute lens hood that came with it, but found an aftermarket metal ventilated (not solid) hood that works great.  So easy to put in your pocket if not on camera.  Here's a shot I took during a round of golf at We-Ko-Pa golf course in Fountain Hills, AZ

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!