Strange photos of A6000/Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8

Radoo

Hi everyone,

I am in a strange situation with my "couple" A6000 and Touit 32mm f/1.8 and I have to ask you if anyone had the same issue.

As you can see the photos are totally failed, not all of them sometimes I obtain this kind of photos.

I have to mention that I have to send the lenses back to Zeiss, because they have to update the firmware. Is it possible to be the cause?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The black thing you see on the picture is the shutter of the camera. Nothing to do with the lens...

Normally you see this when using a flash and a too fast shutter speed. Bu this... I have no idea where it comes from!?

Do you get this with all lenses? With certain shutter speeds?

Can you try with electronic first curtain shutter OFF  ???

I am assuming there was no flash in the camera hot shoe.

If the following does not work, i am afraid your shutter has gone bad

Copy from the Sony guide book on a6000:

The electronic front curtain shutter function shortens the time lag between shutter releases.

1. MENU → (Custom Settings) → [e-Front Curtain Shut.] → desired setting.

Menu item details

On (default setting): Uses the electronic front curtain shutter function.

Off: Does not use the electronic front curtain shutter function.

Note

When you shoot at high shutter speeds with a large diameter lens attached, the ghosting of a blurred area may occur,

depending on the subject or shooting conditions. In such cases, set this function to [Off].

When a lens made by another manufacturer (including a Minolta/Konica-Minolta lens) is used, set this item to [Off]. If

you set this function to [On], the correct exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven.

Hi guys and thank you for your prompt answers. Yesterday night after I wrote here I decided to send an email to Zeiss. In few minutes I received an answer : the cause is the firmware issues and after they will update to the latest one, the issue will be solved. I have to wait till 1th of January and I will come back with news here.

I'm having the exact same issue. I called Germany and Zeiss told me to send the lens back for firmware update as well. Stating the communication with the camera is affected by the firmware... But call me skeptical.

It just does not make sense to me either. i just can't figure how firmware can make ghosting on 1/2 of the frame like this.

Well the answer in my case was:

"Dear Radu,

Yes, this is typical for non-compatible firmware of camera and lens.

With the upgrade to firmware version 02 for the Touit lens, this problem will be solved"

OK but did you try with EFCS OFF ??

No. To be onest with you I don't know what it is :)

Read my first post above showing Sony's instructions to change the EFCS to OFF ( Electronic front curtain Shutter ). 

If you did not yet return the lens, it would be worth a try so you can use it in the meantime !

Read my first post above showing Sony's instructions to change the EFCS to OFF ( Electronic front curtain Shutter ). 

If you did not yet return the lens, it would be worth a try so you can use it in the meantime !

I done it, the big difference is that with the EFCS OFF, when I  shoot, it sounds twice insteed of one time with the EFCS ON.

EFCS  stands for Electronic front curtain shutter. This was introduced to accelerate and minimize noise of shutter.

Normally on mirrorless cameras, the shutter is open so you can view and focus. Just as you press the shutter, the shutter would have to close to prevent the light from hitting your sensor then open to expose properly, close again to control your exposure time and then re-open immediately so you would hear 2 series clacks ( one when the shutter closes and one when the shutter re-opens after proper exposure).

With this new invention the closing of the shutter is electronic so it does not actually close physically since the sensor starts recording the image and the shutter only has to close and re-open in the same movement making only a single clacking noise.

This is a good thing most of the time but if you look at your advanced guide for your camera, there are warnings of some situations where you may want to disable it. The warnings from the Sony Guide on the A6000 are:

When you shoot at high shutter speeds with a large diameter lens attached, the ghosting of a blurred area may occur,

depending on the subject or shooting conditions. In such cases, set this function to [Off].

When a lens made by another manufacturer (including a Minolta/Konica-Minolta lens) is used, set this item to [Off]. If

you set this function to [On], the correct exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven.

There has also been issues with some flash pictures improperly exposed due to this feature being enabled.

• 2 weeks later...