Sign in to follow this  
deanaladay

A7RII 4K Video - Urgent noise / banding problem?

Hi guys,

I[ve got a brand new A7RII, and have been using it mainly for photography,

As far as I can see, all firmware is the latest, and it is being used in pairing with a Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/4 lens.

Today I had a video shoot for a client, however when inspecting the footage, I've seen that a LOT of the clips are covered in weird vertical noise patterns, lines, or something - I really have no idea what they are.

I have no idea at all how to fix this and what is causing it, please, please can anyone help out?

This is not happening to any clips shot at any other resolution than 4K.

Please, does anyone have any ideas as to what this is and how to fix it?

Please see attached picture!

post-7914-0-42831000-1450735675_thumb.jpg

I was initially going to ask for your camera setting such as iso etc, but then decided there was little point. That pattern does not seem to display any characteristics I'd associate with settings or noise.

On the affected clips, does the pattern show itself on the LCD screen when recording? Does it show it on the LCD screen when playing back the clip on camera? If yes, I would say one of 2 things. Firstly, were you just shooting in camera? Did you have any other gear, lighting wireless equipment nearby? Looks like some sort of interference pattern. Second, when ruling this out, it is a possible camera fault.

If it doesn't show this pattern in camera, only after import to a PC/mac, it could be a codec issue or PC problem. Try the footage on another computer.

My thoughts are just a bit of logic - I don't claim to really know a solution. Hope you get it sorted. Being a new camera you always have an exchange at hand.

Can you upload a short clip exhibiting this problem? I agree with pilsburypie that this looks more like a codec issue than something on the camera side. Can't say for sure without an original video file though.

Hi guys,

Today I had a video shoot for a client, however when inspecting the footage, I've seen that a LOT of the clips are covered in weird vertical noise patterns, lines, or something - I really have no idea what they are.

I have no idea at all how to fix this and what is causing it, please, please can anyone help out?

This is not happening to any clips shot at any other resolution than 4K....

There are 60 vertical bands on the image. That makes me wonder about issues related to 60Hz AC power, esp. lighting. However the repetition frequency on the screen is much higher than 60Hz. As pilsburypie said it looks like radio frequency interference. It would help if we could see a clip.

Was the lighting electronically dimmable? Oftentimes lighting controllers will use PWM (pulse width modulation) which is invisible to the eye but can appear on certain specific frame rates and shutter speeds.

What lighting was in use, and what shutter speed you use? Was shutter speed manually controlled or was it automatic? Usually lighting-related issues show up as horizontal banding, not vertical, but we must gather all the info you have and ponder it.

Were you using full-frame 4K or Super35 4K? Did you happen to try both and did it appear only with one? The sensor is scanned differently with each 4K mode so this could tell us something.