Sony Guy

Sony Customer Service and Repairs

I have now owned several Sony cameras and lenses, including a NEX 5n, a NEX7 and currently the A7. So far, I've had great luck with all of these, in not encountering problems or damage which required my having to interact with Sony. As I read more on these Sony forums though, I hear more and more negative comments of how users were treated by Sony when they run into problems. I realize that folks are much quicker to bitch about issues than to praise a company when they do a great job though.

I'd just really like to hear from some people out there that have had positive relations with Sony when dealing with problems. It gets kinda' scary when all you see is how badly so many users have been treated. Has anybody been really treated right and left felling good, not screwed, by Sony?

I have now owned several Sony cameras and lenses, including a NEX 5n, a NEX7 and currently the A7. So far, I've had great luck with all of these, in not encountering problems or damage which required my having to interact with Sony. As I read more on these Sony forums though, I hear more and more negative comments of how users were treated by Sony when they run into problems. I realize that folks are much quicker to bitch about issues than to praise a company when they do a great job though.

I'd just really like to hear from some people out there that have had positive relations with Sony when dealing with problems. It gets kinda' scary when all you see is how badly so many users have been treated. Has anybody been really treated right and left felling good, not screwed, by Sony?

Well, I guess nobody out there has ever had a problem with any Sony product. That's REALLY impressive!

This is an easy one! What is the resulting image if I use my E mount lenses on a FF Sony? Could I create a preset in LR that would automatically crop the FF image to get an image more-or-less like the one from my NEX7?

I just broke my FE 50mm f1.4 over the past several weeks, when my tripod failed.  I tried reaching out to Precision Canera and haven’t even gotten a response from them. I love that lens and feared for the worst when it went down. Funny how I had a similar situation happen to me with a Leica lens, who carries a warranty  that goes with their lenses and received my lens back looking like new in about one months time. 

Any suggestions? It appears that the bayonet on the bottom has broken. The glass looks fine, and seems to be intact. But the barrel will not sit firmly into the camera because of the damaged bayonet(or whatever it’s called).it wobbles like it’s loose, or sheared a screw?

On 2/12/2015 at 4:14 AM, Sony Guy said:

I've had nothing but great experiences with Sony service. I should point out that I am a full time pro and a member of Sony Imaging Pro Service so I can't speak to their service otherwise. I've had two items that needed service since I started using Sony a few years ago.

The first was an A7 II body a couple years ago. They emailed me an overnight shipping label the day I called. I had the repaired body back two days after I shipped it- one day turnaround in-house at Sony and overnighted back to me. I didn't pay for shipping either direction.

More recently I accidentally dropped a lens and the two rings on the front of the lens body broke off (glass and function/AF were fine). Again, overnight shipping label emailed to me within a few minutes of the phone call to them. They called me when it came in and said it would be 2 weeks for parts so they overnighted me a loaner lens until mine was repaired.

In both these cases I wasn't without gear for more than a couple days. With the lens they tested everything before sending it back. I also tested it when it came back and compared it to my test shots from when I had bought it and the performance had actually improved. They must have made some adjustments. 

So very happy overall with Sony's service.

My experience recently wasn't well at all. I live in Barcelona (Spain) and I'm a full time photographer. Month ago I've faced the problem with IBIS when it works incorrectly and there is "Camera error switch off and on" after 15 minutes of use. I've contacted with Sony Spain and after a few unsuccessful manipulations they told me to send my 8 month old A7III to the official repair service which is located in Madrid. Okay, I've done this on 27th of December and received the camera yesterday IN EVEN WORSE CONDITIONS than it was before. It's said that they've replaced the IBIS, After the fist attempt to switch it on there were horrible noises coming from IBIS and the sensor was jumping around. After few more attempts IBIS just falls down after switching camera on and I have the same error as before. It's unbelievable. How can you rely on a camera when it breaks after 8 months and the only one existing repair service apparently doesn't even check the camera before sending it back to the customer...