What happened to the new FE lenses?

Louis

The rumour was that they'd come 1-2 weeks after PhotoPlus... but PhotoPlus was over a month ago now and there's still been nothing. Is there any word at all on what's going on? The roadmap hasn't been updated in over a year now...

Guest Peter Kelly

Why would it be called a 'map', if they don't follow the route? Isn't that just a blank piece of paper???

I have to say I don't really see the point of creating one unless it is based on good reason and business.

If it was, there would be little point in changing it, surely, and just how hard can it be to determine what photographers need and will buy?

Such information is available all over the place and surely Sony have sufficient data themselves.

Delayed because they changed the lens roadmap. That's the latest I heard. They wnated to satisfy Sony owners request of fast primes.

Thank you for the information. Have you heard anything about timing of the eventual announcement? Can we at least expect it this year?

There's enough fast primes already.  Bring on the fast zooms!  Or just one: a native e-mount 70-200 F2.8.  That's all I want!

Agree with this statement about fast zooms.

Since there are 16-200 range covered by 3 lenses, how about 200-400 range?  F4, 5.6 fine, as long as it has great optics and smaller than competitors'.

I would also like to see a 300mm f4 prime too.

Agree with this statement about fast zooms.

Since there are 16-200 range covered by 3 lenses, how about 200-400 range?  F4, 5.6 fine, as long as it has great optics and smaller than competitors'.

I would also like to see a 300mm f4 prime too.

Even a tele converter would be nice, for the existing 70-200.

• 1 month later...

the lens of FE lens is too bulky now....In my mind... only the fixed focal length like 35 F2.8 and 28 F2 is compact....

dont know why sony not consider to issue a pancake like lens.

by the way, zoom lens like the range of 24-240 is too bulky too, if they have a 24-105 or -120 with compact size will be much more better.

the lens of FE lens is too bulky now....In my mind... only the fixed focal length like 35 F2.8 and 28 F2 is compact....

by the way, zoom lens like the range of 24-240 is too bulky too, if they have a 24-105 or -120 with compact size will be much more better.

I never did the math for myself, but: The size of the sensor defines the size of the lens. So in average, you would not get smaller as the FF-DSLR lenses (+ adapter). You can shorten it, but then it will outweight the longer one, because you have to expand the width and this will lead to more glass. If you want smaller lenses, you have to use an APSC setup.

I wonder if it makes sense to sell a $3000 camera, top of the range (etc) and then make "compromised" lens designs such as a pancake or compact zoom. You can already get plenty of that with the APS-C camera, and because of the smaller sensor the lens is compact without the "compromise". Those APS-C lenses also work on the A7 cameras in crop mode.

The problem is what does not exist so much; ultra wide, ultra fast and ultra long ... and ultra weird    :)

Why would it be called a 'map', if they don't follow the route? Isn't that just a blank piece of paper???

I have to say I don't really see the point of creating one unless it is based on good reason and business.

If it was, there would be little point in changing it, surely, and just how hard can it be to determine what photographers need and will buy?

Such information is available all over the place and surely Sony have sufficient data themselves.

if the destination changes, the map changes. that should be obvious, yes?

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if it makes sense to sell a $3000 camera, top of the range (etc) and then make "compromised" lens designs such as a pancake or compact zoom. You can already get plenty of that with the APS-C camera, and because of the smaller sensor the lens is compact without the "compromise". Those APS-C lenses also work on the A7 cameras in crop mode.

The problem is what does not exist so much; ultra wide, ultra fast and ultra long ... and ultra weird    :)

I'm definitely in the market for an ultra weird lens!

As for the APSC pancakes...  The SEL20F28 isn't that bad as a walk-around lens on an A7...   Certainly, its not what you'd choose when you dedicated your day to photography with the crop and low P-MPX.  But to keep the camera along in a fairly small belt bag it still takes better pictures than your phone  ;-)

I think there would be a market for one pancake or close to pancake FE lens, even if its not quite as flat as 20mm and has some other focal length purely chosen for maximum flatness of lens.

How small can you have your A7 and still have more than a shard of window glass in front of the sensor?

• 4 weeks later...

ok we got three G masters lens but I am also wondering at least a  roadmap. I am planing to buy some E mount FE in this year. 55 1.8 for sure  and voigtlander 15 with E mount. But I also want some wide and cant plan... FE 35  2.8 maybe but  why did not sony pruduce 35mm f2 like RX 1Rm2 has?

• 2 weeks later...

Zeiss Batis 25mm f2.0, Sony 28mm f2.0, Sony 35mm f2.8, Sony 35mm f1.4 - its not a bad selection is it?

It's a fine selection if you are into fast primes.

Sony's G lenses is the way to sell, primes is simply not flexible enough for the bulk of photographers. Fast zooms is the way to go and 24-70 and 70-200 F2.8's is a veru good start, the two most important lenses for an FF setup.