A7 II - Firmware Update 2.0

As an owner of the A7 II, I have just installed the firmware update 2.0. Everything worked. Two of the functions described by SONY I found on the menu.

It is unclear to me what is meant by "Adds custom buttons for movie recording".

In the menu, I have no changes found (p.e. in the Menu-Point "Custom Key").

Any ideas?

@mode1, i think its how there sold ie body only or with kit lens etc.

Correct me if im wrong, so the update is about to happen it seems.

Let us know if theres any other features that come with it or points of interest you notice.

Thanks.

Just installed and tested with Sony 28-75mm f2.8 SAM & Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 SSM. Both show improved focusing speed in combination with the LA-EA3, compared to previous experience with both lenses on LA-EA4. Not earth-shattering, but noticeably faster.

Will I sell the LA-EA4? Not yet, I still have some non-SSM Minolta AF lenses—especially the 85mm f1.4—that I need it for!

Btw, uncompressed RAW files are 47MB! I think I'll use compressed RAW mostly...

Does Lightroom 5 support uncompress raw?

Lightroom 5.7.1 seems to have a problem with the uncompressed raw.  It shows the image but gives me a message:  "The file appears to be unsupported or damaged". Fortunately, Photoshop CS6 seems to open the same uncompressed file into Adobe Camera Raw 9.1.1. without any problem.

Tested with Sigma 35mm f/1.4 + LA-EA3. Difference is like night and day, it's simply incredible!

Firmware 1.20: Painfully slow AF to the point where it's simply unusable, the camera hunts for ages and then usually misses the focus completely (blurred image) 

Firmware 2.00: Really fast and accurate AF. Works in both AF-S and AF-C modes. PDAF available only in the center (as we know already), so focus and then re-compose. I can't see the difference in speed between this and my Zeiss FE55.

I was expecting an improvement, but this is amazing. And opens up a whole range of great A-mount lenses :)

On A7mkII Firmware 2.0 installed with no problems. 

Also installed Metabones IV Firmware 46 (the latest).  

Did test shoot both inside and outside in both Auto focus and Manual.  AUTO FOCUS DID NOT WORK IN EITHER AF-C OR AF-S.  I use back button auto focus with C1.  When C1 pressed and held, can see system hunting but never locks.  Absolutely not working.  Was using Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art lens.  I normally do manual focus anyway, but would certainly like auto focus to work.

Downloads to LR6 went perfectly for the uncompressed RAW.  If anything, it seemed faster than before.

A7mkII, Sigma 24mm Art

Image 1:     at f4, 1/60 and ISO 1250

Image 2:     at f1.4 1/60 and ISO 325

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I just updated my A7ii, the features I wanted were mainly uncompressed RAW and well like the A7rii has Copyright info added to the menu. That 2nd wish didn't come true but was hoping for it.

Oh well... Still the uncompressed RAW is nice, however about twice as large files now. BUT I use Adobe DNG converter and incorporate the original RAW, which resulted in a 50MB file.

But this DNG can be used in Adopbe LR 5.7.1 and if later needed the original RAW can still be extracted.

Is there any improvements on EF type lenses? The website specified AF improvements on A mount only?

Updating my camera right now.

70-200 2.8ii works great. 24-70 2.8ii is ok. 40 pancake sucks.The new firmware is an improvement from the 1.2 on metabone ;)

Just installed and tested with Sony 28-75mm f2.8 SAM & Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 SSM. Both show improved focusing speed in combination with the LA-EA3, compared to previous experience with both lenses on LA-EA4. Not earth-shattering, but noticeably faster.

Will I sell the LA-EA4? Not yet, I still have some non-SSM Minolta AF lenses—especially the 85mm f1.4—that I need it for!

Btw, uncompressed RAW files are 47MB! I think I'll use compressed RAW mostly...

So, if using the LA-EA4 with A-mount lenses (I tried with Sony 70-300 SSM G), there is no improvement in focusing speed and less hunting? Is it better to use LA-EA3 instead?

I updated to V2, and was really happy that my Canon lenses now focussed well on the A7ii (50 STM, 100L, 200L, 24 IS), using PDAF and AFC.  That was up until i updated the Metabones Smart Adapter Mark IV firmware to V0.46 .  After loading V0.46, the focus racks back and forth in PDAF....sometimes it locks but very intermittently.  Sometimes it gets into a groove and works fine, until I turn it off or change lenses.  Strange.... So I am hunting around the forums to try to see if it is possible to backdate my Metabones adapter to V0.43 or V0.44 which is what it was when all seemed good.  There's something about this that smacks of.. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it...."

I'm not even sure if you can load older firmware on the Metabones, but if you have the file could you please let me know.  I run a mac.  Its the Mark IV smart Adapter for EF-E.  It's not obvious on the Metabones site if its there, and I have emailed their support desk, but that might take some time.  Any help appreciated.  So if you have gone to V2.00 on the A7ii, great move !! PDAF works a treat with Canon lenses, but hold off on updating the Metabones firmware if what has happened to me is anything to go by.  

Any advice appreciated, esp. if you have an older disk image of the Metabones MarkIV firmware V0.44 sitting in your Downloads directory. It will be called MetabonesAppV1.8.dmg