Canon pro after one week with A7Rii

I am a Canon pro user and recieved my A7Rii last week. Here are some of my random initial thoughts after a week of using the camera on my professional shoots.

1. The size of the camera is perfect for me. I like the smaller body which is more in line with my Minolta film cameras. I will be receiving a grip today. 

2. The camera build quality is much better than I thought. Better than the original A&R and more in line with my 5Dii. The 5Diii seems a little more rugged, but not by much. Many probably associate "bulk" with build quality. I'm not gentle with my gear

3. I do Architectural -residential photography. One battery got me thru my entire day of shooting yesterday (approx 600 snaps -I bracket everything). The day ended with battery at 19%. I keep in airplane mode and I always turned camera off between shoots (but kept on during entire shoot). One thing I did notice for battery life and it could be just me. Turning Canon lens IS off and using IBIS seems to draw less power (I like IBIS for hand holding). 

4. AWB seems much more accurate than 5dii and just slightly more accurate than 5diii. I shoot raw and adjust WB in post, however, the Sony raws need much less adjusting (for me anyway)

5. EVF is a godesend. 

6. Although larger than my Canon files, the uncompressed RAWs do not transfer to computer much slower than 5diii raws. However, I always plug card into my reader and walk away. LR/PS seems just as snappy as with smaller canon files, however, if PS takes a second longer to save the file after done editing. I'll finish editing then save-then close out image-I sometimes get-i"image will close once done saving". I have not shot uncompressed yet.

7. The Canon 16-35 f/l seems just as fast (Metabones IV) as on the Canon thru entire focal length. I'm sure if I depended on super fast focusing, I would see a difference. Very slight delay in darker rooms...not much. So far, I see no reason for me to buy a zeiss 16-35. I would rather spend money on different native lenses.

8. Tilt Screen is a godsend. I have a very tall tripod and the tilt is fantastic on high exterior shots. Sony remote app is great as well for those situations.

9 I had to remove metabones tripod plate. It barely cleared my tripod plate on the body and would cause the adaptor to lose communication when snapping camera on tripod head. Once I removed the plate, no errors since. I tried connecting tripod head plate on adaptor, however, when snapping back on tripod, lots of communication errors. I'm sure it would be no issue if I had an Arca mounting system sine I would not have to "snap" camera back on tripod head (Manfrotto 410). Once I get my grip, I will purchase this http://www.promediagear.com/Sony-Alpha-a7-a7R-mark-II-Series-L-Bracket-for-VG-C2EM-Battery-Grip_p_208.html  and this  http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/product-p/m410f63ab.htm

10. Image quality is fantastic DR is a godsend. I can do "run and gun" real estate photography without bracketing. There's enough info in a single image to push shadows and pull highlights. However, The SONY seems better in shadows, so I under expose a half stop in those situations. Still experimenting. I'm goining to make custom camera profiles with colorchecker system

11. Canon flashes work fine. I never shoot ettl anyway. 

12. I have to add a little more contrast on the Sony raws vs Canons on import.

13. The SONY camera strap stinks. I'm just going to use my Canon CPS strap (From canon professional services)

14. Button customization is great

15. I wish I could program a button for crop/super 35 mode. I want to do residential shoots with a 17 t/s then use crop mode as a zoom without going thru menu. RE files can be low megapixels. Not a huge deal.

16. In camera HDR is not much better the Canon

17. Sensor easily gets dust. It came from factory with dust on sensor, so I already had to clean it. I pretty much keep lenses on camera full time. 

I love this camera so far. Right now, I plan on keeping it. My 5d's are now my back ups. I could see myself getting another SONY body next year. The only thing I worry about is servicing. I don't have enough equipment for SONY pro service. Canon CPS is so reliable even for out of warranty repairs. Precision camera gets poor reviews. But at least they will do RUSH service. Hopefully I will not need in the near future. 

After a month with the A7Rii - I sold all my Canon gear. The last EF lenses are on ebay this week and I started investing in Sony-Zeiss primes. Not a big fan of using adapters and I felt once I switch it's all the waay!

I just added the A7Sii... what a great combo and I also shoot video. Also added the XLR adapter for top class audio and this really made me know it was the right choice.

12: With C1 you'll get good contrast or you can switch the curve from auto to contrast. I really like the starting point then.

13: I would not use the sony camera strap too. I have an old minolta and pimped it with peak design holders. or just using the peak design slide or cuff.

17: I switch my lenses a lot. Just...

• set the replacement lens to be ready and look where the "white point" is (so you can put the lens fast into the mount),
  • release the mount cap (but don't take it away),
  • take off the old lens while holding the body towards the ground and away from wind (hold it that way until the replacement lens is fixed on the camera),
  • place the old lens next to the replacement lens,
  • switch the mount cap from the replacement lens to the old lens (but don't fix it now),
  • put the replacement lens into the camera (still hold it down),
  • fix the mount cap on the old lens.

This takes less then a few seconds and works also outdoors.

12: With C1 you'll get good contrast or you can switch the curve from auto to contrast. I really like the starting point then.

13: I would not use the sony camera strap too. I have an old minolta and pimped it with peak design holders. or just using the peak design slide or cuff.

17: I switch my lenses a lot. Just...

• set the replacement lens to be ready and look where the "white point" is (so you can put the lens fast into the mount),
  • take off the old lens while holding the body towards the ground and away from wind (hold it that way until the replacement lens is fixed on the camera),
  • switch the mount cap from the replacement lens to the old lens (but don't fix it now),

Thanks for tips. I could see myself doing a complete switch like Emptymind above. If I do, I'll sell off everything and go zeiss except for a couple "special" lenses (T/S and 28-70 2.8). I could see myself getting a second body as a backup. Maybe A7Riii when it comes out in a year and a half. Or an A7Sii for general Real esttE IMAGES AND NIGHT SHOOTING. Does A7sii take same grip?

That's exactly how I do it :)

I have to say, the more I shoot the SONY, the more I am really thinking of a complete switch. The camera is perfect size with the grip and the files are a pleasure to edit. My bread and butter lens for my business is the Canon 16-35 f/4. Luckily, the SONY/Zeiss version is one of the excellent native lenses. So purchasing that and keeping the current Canon as a back up makes sense. Plus I use the 17mm Tilt/shift. I have various other Canon L lenses that I rarely use. Also, looks Like SONY is adding faster (and hopefully better) FE lenses over the next year. I may sell off my canon gear in early 2016 (except for 16-35, just keep it as a back up and keep the Tilt shift) and purchase a second A7Rii. Then add native lenses as I need them. I sold off my canon Telephotos a couple years since I never used them. It's cheaper to rent as needed vs having $2500 lenses sitting around and never use. 

"Although larger than my Canon files, the uncompressed RAWs do not transfer to computer much slower than 5diii raws."

"I have not shot uncompressed yet."

Erm, what?

Glad to hear you are enjoying it though - my experiences have been very similar. In fact, I did tests with native FE glass against my Canon L collection and it was so similar (and the size and weight savings of the Sony lenses was so massive) that I decided to just sell the entire lot and go completely FE. I have never been happier.

I know that Sony is working on bolstering the PRO Support program. It certainly helps to have the required hardware, though. Do you have anything beyond the a7RII body from Sony?

Right now no . However, If I do a complete switch it will not take long for me to build up a collection of gear. I think once SONY shores up their FE lens lineup with f/2.8 zooms, adds wireless flash transmitter (nobody likes a full flash on their hotshoe used as a transmitter), plus increase 3rd party support, you will see more people switching.

I really like my A7rII but:

"...once SONY shores up their FE lens lineup with f/2.8 zooms..."

I would use it much more. Really a shame that there is no HQ 2.8 Standard Zoom (around 20-100mm) at a reasonable size and price...

And the menu system is awfull - but it works ;). Else it is a great System!

I really like my A7rII but:

"...once SONY shores up their FE lens lineup with f/2.8 zooms..."

I would use it much more. Really a shame that there is no HQ 2.8 Standard Zoom (around 20-100mm) at a reasonable size and price...

And the menu system is awfull - but it works ;). Else it is a great System!

I think fast FE zooms is where SONY will gain much credibility with pros. A big point with the SONY is its size vs a big honking 5d3, grip, flashes, etc. The pros who would be most likely to downsize are the ones (wedding, concert, event) photographers who have to lug multiple cameras around their neck. The Canon 4-70 f/2.8 is a  biggie with low light pros. Small size and FAST zooms would be a killer combination

Unfortunately, some of the lenses are less than ideal, the FE16-35 smears out wide, as does the Canon 16-35 f2.8 II. The Voigtlander 15 III is great though, and looking forward to native FE mount

Canon longer lenses work fine, but are heavy ... the 85 1.2 II is unbelievable and better than on my 5DII. Sharp as, but heavy.

Hanging on for Batis that actually get delivered, might see me getting more as they are light (the 25 is fab, but not a normal length for me)

Kept my Canons for sport though.

Unfortunately, some of the lenses are less than ideal, the FE16-35 smears out wide, as does the Canon 16-35 f2.8 II. The Voigtlander 15 III is great though, and looking forward to native FE mount

Canon longer lenses work fine, but are heavy ... the 85 1.2 II is unbelievable and better than on my 5DII. Sharp as, but heavy.

Hanging on for Batis that actually get delivered, might see me getting more as they are light (the 25 is fab, but not a normal length for me)

Kept my Canons for sport though.

I am keeping my Canons as well until more FE lenses are released with better optics. I really think Sigma could make a killing releaseing FE mount ART lenses. For zooms, the 16-35 FE is really good (at least the copy I rented) and was very close to my Canon 16-35 f/4. I think the Canon looked slightly more pleasing, but that could just be me. I would be more than happy with a good copy of the Zeiss 16-35. Fortunately, I have a good Metabones IV copy that is trouble and communication error free. 

After another week, I am more impressed and love shooting with the A7Rii. I'm really thinking of selling my Canon bodies and getting another A7Rii or a7sii as a second body. I plan on making my own LR profiles with colorchecker system shortley once I get a good block of time. In the meantime, I am using these http://www.colorfidelity.com/ and they are a big improvement over the standard Adobe camera profiles. 

I also just received the Promedia gear L bracket,   http://www.promediag...Grip_p_208.html , custom made for A7Rii with grip and it is fantastic. I now can change batteries without taking bracket off. 

The camera's weather/sealing deficiency is WAYYYY overblown. Like I said earlier, it's on par with my older 5dii andI think really close to the 5diii. I was shooting in the rain briefly the other day, no issues. 

One last thing, I do not think I could live without the tilt screen again. As an Architectural/interior shooter, I have to get low quite a bit. My knees are not great as well. 

At this moment in time (only 2 weeks with SONY), a Canon would really have to do some amazing feats for me to consider a 5DIV. 

Slightly hijacking the topic, I totally agree about the BS Sony camera strap. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a 3rd party strap? I am currently using my A7RII on a capturepro clip (which is great, BTW) and would love to find something equally awesome on the strap front! 

Slightly hijacking the topic, I totally agree about the BS Sony camera strap. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a 3rd party strap? I am currently using my A7RII on a capturepro clip (which is great, BTW) and would love to find something equally awesome on the strap front! 

Have a look at Peak Design (https://www.peakdesign.com). I got the "cuff", which I use 95% of the time, and the "leash" for when I want to hang the camera around my neck.

I got a chance to get the Fotodiox adaptor really cheap (local open box), so I purchased for back-up and future second camera purposes. I have to say, it performs just as good as the Metabones. The build quality is close. I used it the last two days on client shoots and it performed flawless. Just as fast AF imo. You cannot update the firmware, but I would highly suggest this adaptor (especially if you only use canon lenses part time).

And if you only need an adaptor for manual focus, I would say get the Fotodiox and save $300.